Gaging interest in lightly used carbide tooling (endmills, inserts etc)

Livetohunt

Reaction score
I work at a very large machine shop as a day job. We go thru roughly $100,000 in carbide inserts, drills and endmills every month. A lot of parts we make we “time out” tools due to surface finish requirements, light tool wear, etc.

We’re tossing around the idea of perhaps selling bags of lightly used inserts, and endmills. They would all be more than useful. I have a bunch of stuff already set aside. And if your wondering about the condition of the tools... I’ve finish turned about 300 muzzle brake blanks with one of the “timed out” 4 sided inserts.

Would love some feedback whether or not gunsmiths, or just garage tinkerers would be interested in this. Would probably be like $100 for a small bag, but new the tooling would be $500 or more.

I’m not 100% if we will go thru with this, but I hate seeing good condition tools get sold as scrap. Plus they are trying to cut tooling cost and I see this as a good option.

Ken

Bamban

Reaction score
I would be interested. I am not in the business, but I have a 4 lathes, a Bridgeport, and other stuff in the shop to support. I use smaller inserts as my largest lathe is only 1440 with BXA QCTP. The others are AXAs.

Do y'all intend to sort them out by sizes or just bulk weight?

Gord0

Reaction score
I work at a very large machine shop as a day job. We go thru roughly $100,000 in carbide inserts, drills and endmills every month. A lot of parts we make we “time out” tools due to surface finish requirements, light tool wear, etc.

We’re tossing around the idea of perhaps selling bags of lightly used inserts, and endmills. They would all be more than useful. I have a bunch of stuff already set aside. And if your wondering about the condition of the tools... I’ve finish turned about 300 muzzle brake blanks with one of the “timed out” 4 sided inserts.

Would love some feedback whether or not gunsmiths, or just garage tinkerers would be interested in this. Would probably be like $100 for a small bag, but new the tooling would be $500 or more.

I’m not 100% if we will go thru with this, but I hate seeing good condition tools get sold as scrap. Plus they are trying to cut tooling cost and I see this as a good option.

Ken
Fortunately for me, I'm in the same situation. Tons of Helical endmills for aluminum that are still good, but sitting in the scrap bin.

Livetohunt

Reaction score
I would be interested. I am not in the business, but I have a 4 lathes, a Bridgeport, and other stuff in the shop to support. I use smaller inserts as my largest lathe is only 1440 with BXA QCTP. The others are AXAs.

Do y'all intend to sort them out by sizes or just bulk weight?

They would just be whatever we threw in the bag. Would be an assortment of lathe and mill tools in each.

Bamban

Reaction score

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score

Ken
Ken,

I am in this business. Not sure where you are located, but interested to know if you are being seen by any manufacturing reps?

PM me if you would like to discuss.

Forum Sponsors