From Slick Tricks to G5 Striker V2's

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I just wanted to start a thread on my experience as I change over from 100 gr 4 blade fixed Slick Tricks 1 .125" to the new 100 gr G5 Striker V2 3 blade fixed 1.250"

So far I shot the strikers at 20, 30 and 40 yards. They impact the same poi as the tricks, but they are shooting tighter at distance. And the 3 blade, although bigger dia. seem to be penetrating quite a bit more on my targets.

I made the decision to change over as I looked back and have not had groups with broad heads as tight as my points. I had pretty much excepted that is just the way it is. But after watching the below video, which I feel they did a fine job in this test, I was surprised that the Striker V2's grouped a smidge tighter at 50 yards than their points. And they scored very will in all tests.

Plus I truly feel a 3 blade will suit me better on elk with more penetration. So if they continue to shoot tighter at distance, I think I may be in a better place.

I will report back after I get more compiled results.

warrbuk

Reaction score
Let us know how they shout at distance. I shoot the magnum and vipertrik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
Just came in from my morning shoot. Shot at 30 40 and several at 50 yards. I am becoming pretty confident in saying, for me and my bow (Prime CT5 @65 lbs) The G5 Striker V2's shoot more accurate and tighter than the Slick Tricks. My 50 yard shooting today actually impressed me.

I am pretty much convinced.

Jeff

DRUSS

Reaction score
I know this is old but I went from styker to iron will last season. No kills but I believe the styker is more forgiving to shoot. Hoping to see true flesh sample this sesson

warrbuk

Reaction score
87bdd2ca42075408dc7a8be61413e0e4.jpg

The vipertrick will pass through a cow’s s scapula and exit out the other side.

Broz

Reaction score
I drove a 100 gr G5 Striker V2 3 blade fixed 1.250, completely through my bull last season from 65 yards with my Hoyt RX4 Carbon at 62 lbs draw weight. I was cranked down some from the blown shoulder. I was pretty amazed to get a complete pass through and find the arrow still had enough speed to travel another 20 yards and stick in partially under the grass and dirt after. But only rib bone was involved. Penetration was one of the reasons I went to a 3 blade.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I find that most mechanicals will fly truer, and get affected by the wind less past 50 yards. That being said, I see very little variation with my Annihilator 125’s. I prefer the fixed for penetration, and the smaller head on the Annihilator flies better in the wind than any other fixed I have ever used. I got a pass through at 67lbs at 72 yards on my bull a couple of years ago. My search for my ultimate broadhead is over.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
I find that most mechanicals will fly truer, and get affected by the wind less past 50 yards. That being said, I see very little variation with my Annihilator 125’s. I prefer the fixed for penetration, and the smaller head on the Annihilator flies better in the wind than any other fixed I have ever used. I got a pass through at 67lbs at 72 yards on my bull a couple of years ago. My search for my ultimate broadhead is over.
Standard or XL version?

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score

I shoot mechanicals and love them. I’ve tried many different broadheads, and continue to go back to the Rage. Now I’m just hunting whitetails, so my equipment is different than what you all need for elk.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I shoot mechanicals and love them. I’ve tried many different broadheads, and continue to go back to the Rage. Now I’m just hunting whitetails, so my equipment is different than what you all need for elk.
I shot Trypan’s for years and loved them fir whitetail. But as I got out west more I wanted to tune my bow for 1 head to do it all. If I were exclusively whitetail, I would of never switched. My next option is 2 hunting bows….each setup and tuned for a different head and animal.

Broz

Reaction score
My next option is 2 hunting bows….each setup and tuned for a different head and animal.
This is a great Idea, I have 3 bows and they all are recent designs and all good bows. But they all do feel different. I just hate the fact two of them are always just getting older drawing dust

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
This is a great Idea, I have 3 bows and they all are recent designs and all good bows. But they all do feel different. I just hate the fact two of them are always just getting older drawing dust
Rifles are in 2 different safes and thus far easier to hide from inquiring wives. A second bow would be easy to see……. ;)

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I shot Trypan’s for years and loved them fir whitetail. But as I got out west more I wanted to tune my bow for 1 head to do it all. If I were exclusively whitetail, I would of never switched. My next option is 2 hunting bows….each setup and tuned for a different head and animal.

Yeah, if I were to hunt elk out west, I would need a new bow completely. Right now, I don’t pull very much weight at all. 60lbs, give or take a few. IMO there is no need to shoot higher weight than that for whitetails. I can hold full draw for longer, and in many instances, that was key to be able to get the RIGHT shot off while still holding on target.

But with elk, I would need a higher draw weight for sure.

Broz

Reaction score
Yeah, if I were to hunt elk out west, I would need a new bow completely. Right now, I don’t pull very much weight at all. 60lbs, give or take a few. IMO there is no need to shoot higher weight than that for whitetails. I can hold full draw for longer, and in many instances, that was key to be able to get the RIGHT shot off while still holding on target.

But with elk, I would need a higher draw weight for sure.
As with a rifle, placement is KING. 60 lbs will kill bull elk with ease to 50 yards +. And this one was taken at 40 yards with 42 lbs of pull weight.

IMG_20160916_132303.jpg

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
As with a rifle, placement is KING. 60 lbs will kill bull elk with ease to 50 yards +. And this one was taken at 40 yards with 42 lbs of pull weight.

View attachment 8124
100% agree. The main thing higher draw weight will get you is potentially less variation in drop at longer distances. Can I pull and hold a 75lbs bow…..absolutely. But I can group better and hold longer at 66. The old adage of 70 lbs is antiquated with modern compounds. At 66lbs I have more speed and ft-lbs than I did at 75 on my first compound.

warrbuk

Reaction score
What is your draw weight set at?

70.5 pounds of draw weight.

I shoot expendables on deer, pigs and smaller game.

60# is plenty with the right arrow and broadhead.

My buddy uses the Kudupoint. It really penetrates and flys great!

I will likely try them with my current set up.

There is a meateater podcast with Ed Ashby regarding arrows and Broadheads.

Very informative

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score

View attachment 8124

Interesting. I was under the impression that one would be at huge risk at lower draw weights, as you may not get good enough penetration.

That is a dreamy bull right there! Congrats to her!

Broz

Reaction score
Interesting. I was under the impression that one would be at huge risk at lower draw weights, as you may not get good enough penetration.

That is a dreamy bull right there! Congrats to her!
She is an awesome young lady with a passion to hunt and asked me to take her elk archery hunting while her brothers and boyfriend were off hunting without her. It was a very special time since she tagged out before they did this time, and this was her first archery bull. Now I am not saying low draw weight is the way to go, but it took me a long time to come home to the fact that pulling more is not always the best for accuracy. If you have the strength to pull and hold it, more is better. But if not, less in this case is more. She cut a main artery and blood trail was epic. The bull was down in a few hundred yards.

DropTines

Reaction score
Love hearing about different broadheads. I spend too much time reviewing them! Heck I want to try them all.

And for me, I always carry both fixed and mechanical heads in my quiver. I feel situations might dictate using one over the other. If we’re calling elk, fixed. If I’m spotting and stocking deer, mechanical. It’s just my preference.

I did a hog hunt this year and it was nice to test different heads on pigs.

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors