Form 4 eFile is now active

JJMonty

Reaction score
This is supposed to reduce wait times to 90 days, we'll see. By the end of 2022 wait times are supposed to be down to 30 days. It would be nice if this is true but I'm expecting more of a healthcare.gov debacle. I've been on the fence for awhile now about getting a suppressor. With SilencerCo doing a buy one get one free (expires today) through Silencer Shop I ordered an Omega 300 and will get the Octane 45 for free after the first stamp is approved. The Silencershop kiosk took about 15 minutes to create a profile and collect fingerprints. Pretty simple process overall (not counting the explanation to the Mrs.), nothing to do now but wait.

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
I’ve created a profile on the new system. Or have tried.. I’m not sure if it went through or not. I tried earlier and it wasn’t working. On 3 different browsers. I’m hoping they get it straightened out. I’m currently waiting on 4 suppressors. Two are coming up on a year. One is it at 14 months.

JJMonty

Reaction score
It took me awhile to be able to login too. I'm sure their server is overloaded with it just going active. I was finally able to get on at 9pm AKST so it wasn't at peak time. I hope you get your stamps approved soon.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
Took me awhile to register yesterday but I got it. I have a couple rifle cans but have been waiting to pick up a home defense pistol suppressor. I think I’m just going to do it now so if the system gets bogged down I will at least be towards the front of the cluster. In theory say least…
Fingers crossed on the wait times.

Dogonduck

Reaction score
How do you submit finger prints and photos when doing e forms? Can someone who has filed electronically give me the rundown of the steps required. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Desert Dan

Reaction score
How do you submit finger prints and photos when doing e forms? Can someone who has filed electronically give me the rundown of the steps required. Thanks

The e forms are brand new so we will all be figuring this out. As for the fingerprint cards, if you buy through SilencerShop and have a local store with a kiosk, you can take care of the fingerprints and everything else right there.
I did that with one of my cans at it was very easy. Doing it again with this one.

JJMonty

Reaction score
Can someone who has filed electronically give me the rundown of the steps required.
Like Dan said, the Silencer Shop kiosk makes it very easy. Download their app then find a kiosk. Their site has a kiosk finder function. It will take your fingerprints and you can upload your photo that you take on the app. The photo needs to be passport style so make sure you use a white background. The app will reject the photo if it isn't acceptable, it took me a few tries. The place here in town was really helpful and walked me through it. They also had a few suppressors that were out of stock on Silencer Shop's site and the prices were identical. Everything you buy will automatically use the eFile unless you tell them otherwise.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
Okay don’t tell my wife but I walked into the Green Bay Cabela’s today to check out the Walther pistol the website said was in stock. To my surprise they had ALL THREE of the guns I was considering to host the suppressor I just bought - in stock and looking beautiful! (The manager said the website has been inaccurate lately.) Since I was able to handle each of them, decision was made and my new HK VP9 will be on its way to Michigan tomorrow!

JJMonty

Reaction score
Okay don’t tell my wife but I walked into the Green Bay Cabela’s today to check out the Walther pistol the website said was in stock. To my surprise they had ALL THREE of the guns I was considering to host the suppressor I just bought - in stock and looking beautiful! (The manager said the website has been inaccurate lately.) Since I was able to handle each of them, decision was made and my new HK VP9 will be on its way to Michigan tomorrow!
Congrats, that's a nice pistol. I had a chance to shoot a few mags through my buddy's VP9. The mag release took some getting used to but overall I really liked it. It wasn't the tactical version but I have no doubt it's a great host.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
The mag release took some getting used to but overall I really liked it.

Yes I picked up the “paddle” style mag release (i.e. the euro style?). Like most of us, I’m used to the push button drop on my mag release, but I’ll get used to it. Pretty excited to get that thing going. I’m not a big pistol guy but I have some cash stashed away for the one I eventually settled on. Well, HAD some cash…

Masterdunbar

Reaction score
I’ve created a profile on the new system. Or have tried.. I’m not sure if it went through or not. I tried earlier and it wasn’t working. On 3 different browsers. I’m hoping they get it straightened out. I’m currently waiting on 4 suppressors. Two are coming up on a year. One is it at 14 months.

O hell….and here I am getting excited thinking any day now lol. My stamp cashed March 3rd and they are saying the average wait time is 7-10 months. Did you place your suppressor in a trust ? Sometimes that takes longer

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
O hell….and here I am getting excited thinking any day now lol. My stamp cashed March 3rd and they are saying the average wait time is 7-10 months. Did you place your suppressor in a trust ? Sometimes that takes longer

Nope. Individual. I own several. The longest I’ve waited for any of them was 7 months.

Masterdunbar

Reaction score
Nope. Individual. I own several. The longest I’ve waited for any of them was 7 months.

Yea from what I’m seeing if u put them in a trust then it seems to take longer. Not sure why

Desert Dan

Reaction score
ATF emailed me today telling me due to an error in the registration process I need to do it again. Anyone else get that?

Dogonduck

Reaction score
I just did mine today. Got a confirmation email saying “submitted/in process” we’ll see how it goes. Some of my buddies are unable to create their account much less getting to the actual form 4. Seems to be a mess.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
I just did mine today. Got a confirmation email saying “submitted/in process” we’ll see how it goes. Some of my buddies are unable to create their account much less getting to the actual form 4. Seems to be a mess.

If I didn’t know better I would think you believe a government agency could be anything less than efficient… (healthy dose of sarcasm)

I had to email the gal that sent me the email about my registration. I wasn’t able to re-register either. Same problem as when I first tried before it eventually went through. I decided to just try my original confirmed login (confirmed by the email from ATF) and it worked. I idea.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why you would need to do a trust on a suppressor? On the Silencer Shop website, it says that you pay for a "tax stamp", and it's basically like a tax that goes to the federal government. There is no license needed. So why the trust?

Desert Dan

Reaction score
If you file as an individual, you will be the only one legally allowed to use or possess the suppressor (or any NFA item). With a trust, the item belongs to the trust, and anyone who is a member of the trust, and is considered a “responsible person” or in other words, who has been cleared by our friends at the ATF, can also possess it. Makes it much more flexible and you can pass the item along to another member of something happens to you.

JJMonty

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why you would need to do a trust on a suppressor? On the Silencer Shop website, it says that you pay for a "tax stamp", and it's basically like a tax that goes to the federal government. There is no license needed. So why the trust?
If you file as an individual you are the only one allowed to possess the suppressor. Say you want to put your wife/child/sibling in a deer stand with the suppressor and go hunt hunt another spot. That's "tEcHnIcAlLy IlLeGaL" according to the AFT. If you're the only person that will ever use it then individual is the way to go. If you're on a range and let your buddy shoot it that's fine on an individual registration because it's still in your possession "tEcHnIcAlLy"

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
This makes zero sense though. It's not licensed to you. You just paid a tax. How is this different than a standard background check you get when purchasing a firearm? No one is getting into trouble for willing guns after they pass.

Not directed at you Dan. Just seems odd to me how all this works.

The only reason I went down this rabbit hole is I was going to apply for one, that way if down the road I wanted to get one, I wouldn't have to wait.

JJMonty

Reaction score
How is this different than a standard background check you get when purchasing a firearm?
The NFA is a whole different ball game. It's still bothers me how the National FIREARMS Act includes suppressors. It doesn't even come close to the definition of a firearm. Hopefully, one day the Hearing Protection Act (H.R. 95) will pass and we can be done with this silliness.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Thanks gents. I wasn't directing that at anyone in particular. Just some of this seems silly to me. And then add to the fact that all this adds many months to the process, when it shouldn't.

Desert Dan

Reaction score
If you’re looking for logic in the NFA you’re going to be looking for a very long time. SBRs, short barrel shotguns and full autos are are lumped in with suppressors in the NFA which was passed back in the 20s. Once you go through it the first time it’s a little easier to understand, but SilencerShop does a great job simplifying the process. You can get a suppressor a lot of places, but they definitely streamline the whole thing and most of it can be done online.

Michael Lloyd

Reaction score
I e-filed through Capitol Armory (north Austin, TX). I went ahead and did the trust too. While I was going through the bs... I mean procedure, I went ahead and bought 2 cans. Dead Air Sandman-L for my AR or whatever other threaded tube I have and a Dead Air Mask for my .22, which means I had to buy a .22 with a threaded barrel so I did that too :)

Once I get through the paperwork part Capitol will mail my can to me.

Dogonduck

Reaction score
I went through the form 4 with my dealer after purchase and immediately got 2 emails from atf saying submitted. Since then I have logged into my account thinking I will be able to check in on my application status but all my account shows is “no alerts”. Is this what everyone else sees on there atf account?

Dogonduck

Reaction score

Here is an instructional video from atf. At the beginning of the video it shows, the Home Screen, on left side, in blue, where I would think my submitted application would show up. Mine only shows “no current alerts”. I am guessing only the dealer that submitted my application is able to see my application and status. Does anyone know? Or is able to see there own application when signing in to the account you created.

Forum Sponsors