Foggy Glass

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I have recently had some issues with my Maven C3's fogging up. I haven't had this issue as bad in the past. Only after glassing for a few minutes. Seems like the eye pieces fog up pretty quickly now. I do extend the rotating eye pieces out to the fully extended setting. I have oily skin and me eye lashes (on a previous pair) would smear up the eye lenses.

I haven't used any chemicals or cleaners. Rarely wiped them with a lens cloth when needed.

Can anyone recommend any tips or tricks on how to help them not to fog up?

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Fogging starts usually due to dissimilar temperatures and high humidity.
Do you keep them in your jacket while moving around and then bring them out into cool air? Humidity from your body heat and then cool air would cause this.
I bring this up as you didn’t mention any other factors on how you are carrying them. But I would try them on your neck and uncovered/in the elements and see if they are still fogging up.

Ladd

Reaction score
It’s common for my binos, doesn’t matter what brand, to fog up in the cool crisp morning air when looking through them for long stretches. I carry the little Vortex tool in my bino pouch. This tool has a brush on one side and something to wipe the glass on the other. After the sun and the ambient temperature comes up, the fogging stops.

I think in my case it’s condensation in the form of fog on the surface of the glass on the outside. Years ago when I didn’t buy very good glass they fogged on the inside. Two different things and hopefully fully not your case @OSOK - Crash. Fog inside isn’t good.

Last edited:

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Mine only do it when as stated, different temps. When the glass gets real cold, and my face is warm they will fog over. Some anti fog was may help. Like what they use for snowmobile lenses and goggles.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Fogging starts usually due to dissimilar temperatures and high humidity.
Do you keep them in your jacket while moving around and then bring them out into cool air? Humidity from your body heat and then cool air would cause this.
I bring this up as you didn’t mention any other factors on how you are carrying them. But I would try them on your neck and uncovered/in the elements and see if they are still fogging up.
I bring them from inside the house. I do understand what you are saying, so I recognize that when I bring them out from the temperature controlled house to the Indiana humidity, it will cause fogging until the lenses reach the same temp outside.

But what I do is bring them out and take the lens caps off and let them acclimated for a while (normally shooting my bow for a while on and off). Then I'll start to glass and practice shooting during the sunset times. But I still run into fogging. Just not as bad as if I first pull them out.

In the field, they are normally either laying on my shooting mat or hanging on a hook in the tree.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
It’s common for my binos, doesn’t matter what brand, to fog up in the cool crisp morning air when looking through them for long stretches. I carry the little Vortex tool in my bino pouch. This tool has a brush on one side and something to wipe the glass on the other. After the sun and the ambient temperature comes up, the fogging stops.

I think in my case it’s condensation in the form of fog on the surface of the glass on the outside. Years ago when I didn’t buy very good glass they fogged on the inside. Two different things and hopefully fully not your case @OSOK - Crash. Fog inside isn’t good.
Yes it's definitely on the outside. If I hold them away and lightly blow across them, I can get it to go away pretty quick. But it's frustrating when you are trying to size a buck at 700yds, and then have to require him again. If that makes sense.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Mine only do it when as stated, different temps. When the glass gets real cold, and my face is warm they will fog over. Some anti fog was may help. Like what they use for snowmobile lenses and goggles.
Is this safe to put on the glass? I know I don't have top of the line glass. But I don't want to mess anything up with my Mavens. I do like them a lot. Granted I don't know much better and have no other experience with high end glass.

Ladd

Reaction score
Yes it's definitely on the outside. If I hold them away and lightly blow across them, I can get it to go away pretty quick. But it's frustrating when you are trying to size a buck at 700yds, and then have to require him again. If that makes sense.
Yup. Happens to me like that. Maybe something like @Broz is saying would be good. I think I’ll order some to try in Idaho next month.

Ladd

Reaction score
I ordered some anti-fog wipes just to try. I’ll see how they do next month. I just remembered something though. Last month when we did a tour of the Napoli Coast in Kauai the guide gave us Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo spay for our goggles to eliminate fog and to not bother our eyes. It worked.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I ordered some anti-fog wipes just to try. I’ll see how they do next month. I just remembered something though. Last month when we did a tour of the Napoli Coast in Kauai the guide gave us Johnson and Johnson baby shampoo spay for our goggles to eliminate fog and to not bother our eyes. It worked.
I use this same type of watered down solution for my goggles when I swim. Works pretty good. But I don't want to use this without contacting Maven first. Not sure if this would take off any "anti-fog" treatment they have on the lenses.

Ladd

Reaction score
I use this same type of watered down solution for my goggles when I swim. Works pretty good. But I don't want to use this without contacting Maven first. Not sure if this would take off any "anti-fog" treatment they have on the lenses.
Makes sense to be cautious. Can’t wait to hear what they say.

Ladd

Reaction score
I sent an email to Swarovski customer service to see what they say about the SLCs.

RBanta66

Reaction score
I bring them from inside the house. I do understand what you are saying, so I recognize that when I bring them out from the temperature controlled house to the Indiana humidity, it will cause fogging until the lenses reach the same temp outside.
I deal with this big time here in Virginia when bringing them from inside the house to outside. I just set them in my garage a couple hours before dusk and problem solved. It's takes longer than you think for them to come up to the same temp as outside. I think that's why there still fogging up after your done shooting your bow, I could be wrong but just my experiences and thought leads me to this conclusion. As far as hunting, I have a Horn Hunter chest bino system and I have no issues. I also have a inexpensive Vortex chest bino system and haven't had any issues with it either. I wear both outside my outer layer. As far as cleaning, I have a nice lense cloth I keep in my bino case. I do use my Oakley sunglasses cleaning kit to clean my glass before every season. It's a isopropanol based product. Seems to work great as I've been using it for many years now

Last edited:

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I sent an email to Maven. So we will see what they have to say. Maybe you are right and I just need to let them acclimate longer. But during the hunting season, they are stored in my pack in a bin out in the garage. It is not climate controlled. So they have plenty of time to acclimate. Maybe them fogging up is just something I have to deal with?

RBanta66

Reaction score
Bottom line they should not be fogging up. When I'm in the tree there on my chest but they are in my pack on the way to the tree. I have Leupold Cascades 10x42 and a set of Leupold Mojave 12x50, they are great and crystal clear. My buddy in Oregon has some Swarovski's and I always out glass him. In that case I believe it's the nut behind the glass.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Heard back from Maven. They said there really isn't much I could other than what I am already doing. They said my coatings may be getting warn and if I think that's the case, then I can send them in, as that falls under their warranty. I told them I was fairly sure that the coatings were still in good shape, because I've only had them a little over a year. I asked if I could use lens cleaner or any anti fog cleaner, without it voiditghe warranty. They said if it's safe to use on eye glasses, then it should be safe to use on their lenses.

So I guess I can try some anti fog cleaners. But other than that, it is what it is.

I did let my binos acclimate for a lot longer today. They seemed to do much better. Still had some fogging. But not as quick. So maybe it's not as big of a problem as I'm making it to be?

waveslayer

Reaction score
I had this happen on an insane Elk hunt I drew in New Mexico, glass was all foggy, they were on my chest.. found out the hard way, scored a bull but not the 7x7 we had at 60 yards!

Anyways, I was putting off so much heat and humidity from hiking in the cold, it was fogging the lenses. I use lens covers and keep my binos and scopes out in the elements to acclimate . Like warm truck out in the freezing cold, lenses will be fogged up. Best is to keep the glass on anything consistent with the outside weather temp.

my wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Magnett

Reaction score

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
You might want to try the anti-fogger called Cat Crap (https://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-Multi...3RLF4H8/ref=pd_lpo_1?pd_rd_i=B003RLF4H8&psc=1) (yes, that is the name!!!) I have been using this on my lenses for a number of years when subjected to cold temperatures. Commonly found at ski resorts for glasses and goggles. I have had pretty good luck with it. The Parent company also markets the same product as https://www.amazon.com/EK-USA-Multi...for+lenses&qid=1631901067&s=automotive&sr=1-4
I may have to try this. Anything you don't like about it?

Magnett

Reaction score
During winter i use them on my Rx glasses, sun glasses and binos. Haven't had any issues yet.

Ladd

Reaction score
FYI

Swarovski returned my email with this response;

Do you recommend a brand of anti fog wipes or spray for the SLC binos to reduce or eliminate fog in the cool crisp morning air? Or do you not recommend any at all and just wipe it off with a microfiber cloth?

Thank you.

Hi Ladd,

We recommend using the micro fiber cloth to do so however using a solution that is not toxic like a contact lens cleaner or a saline solution would also be fine. Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Best regards

SWAROVSKI OPTIK

Forum Sponsors