First elk hunt

KyJoe

Reaction score
First elk hunt planned for second week in October. Are there any recommendations as to overlooked gear or items that anyone has deemed invaluable that would otherwise be omitted? Not looking for obvious items (blades, batteries, bags, etc). This will be a hunt with a base cabin and on privately leased land. Thanks for all input

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Rope, or better yet some mule tape in the pack. Comes in handy for many things like tying a leg up while field dressing alone.

Jeff

Edits to add: And a rifle 30 cal and up. :cool:

MTNBOYJD

Reaction score
A cell phone to call for help to get that critter to the truck. I hope to have that problem soon.

Chippewa

Reaction score
Everbody always says wipes. Which are probably a must have, but my buddy an I are making a 12v/propane setup for cleaning an a quick shower when needed. Gona be nice...

MTNBOYJD

Reaction score
Another item I like to have is a few zip ties, they are great for attaching carcass tag and minor repairs. Extra boot laces are good to have along too. A multi purpose tool like a leatherman is handy, sometimes some pliers and a screwdriver can save the day. Good luck on your hunt.

dworrel

Reaction score
Duct tape - great for blisters and all the other things duct tape is good for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KyJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. Actually had never heard of mule tape so I learned something from Jeff

Forum Sponsors