Firecracking after 350 rounds - is this normal?

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
I was cleaning a barrel that is relatively new and thought I'd take a look at the bore with the Teslong borescope. (I usually avoid doing this to prevent me from going down the 'clean enough' rabbit hole) I noticed the throat and into the rifling had fine firecracking already. The barrel has about 350 rounds on it. This barrel was tough finding a good load.

Can firecracking show up this early on in a barrels life?

Hoping to get @FURMAN and @Broz to share their thoughts.

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I was cleaning a barrel that is relatively new and thought I'd take a look at the bore with the Teslong borescope. (I usually avoid doing this to prevent me from going down the 'clean enough' rabbit hole) I noticed the throat and into the rifling had fine firecracking already. The barrel has about 350 rounds on it. This barrel was tough finding a good load.

Can firecracking show up this early on in a barrels life?

Hoping to get @FURMAN and @Broz to share their thoughts.
The short answer is yes. The long answer is it depends on the cartridge. Some of the fire breathing dragons that people insist on building these days can smoke a barrel in under 500 rounds.

Diverjeff

Reaction score
One of my 300WM's shows a pretty good amount of firecracking after shooting approx. 100 rounds(or less,that's when I found it with the Teslong)of Berger factory ammo(215's)averaging 2930fps in a 26" barrel.

Ladd

Reaction score
I did load development in my 6.5 max with RL33 running the 156 gr Berger EOL really hard over 3100 fps. I never shot more than 3-rounds and always let the barrel cool but it shows fire cracking at 170 rounds. My 6.5 PRC has fire cracking and its in the 500+ round count. The Teslong does show me more than I need to know.

Edit: I meant 6.5 max, not 7 max.

Last edited:

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score
On a scale of 1-10 what is this fire cracking in the pictures considered? 1 = no big deal and 10 = getting pretty bad ?????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(1) but its not going to get any better. When chunks start to go missing and it starts looking like tree bark, watch the chrono.

Masterdunbar

Reaction score
(1) but its not going to get any better. When chunks start to go missing and it starts looking like tree bark, watch the chrono.

Watch chrono because it slows way down ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J300UM

Reaction score
The throat in my 264 win mag has looked like fish scales for the last 400 rounds. Still shoots though!

dennisinaz

Reaction score
My buddy brought his Rem 760 over so i could look at it. Spent 2 years in the bottom of his boat in Salt water in King Salmon. Never seen a barrel so pitted and horrific. Went and shot it. Shoots 3 shots into 1 ¼ moa. He killed deer and brown bear with it this way. You never know. A. Bore scope won't necessarily tell you a rifle won't shoot

Reaction score
Greetings All,
Pressure and temperature are the enemies of barrel life.
The powder has to push itself as well as the bullet.
For a bullet to be pushed 10% faster meaning 21% more kinetic energy, that means there needs to be more than 21% more powder, more like 34% ( since the powder has to push itself ). This assumes that powders are being changed to keep the peak pressure the same, of which probably is not the case, so not only has pressure been increased significantly, but so has the amount of heat generated which being dissipated into the same metal mass means the barrel is heating up faster. Next shot.
Easy to see that velocity comes at a very high price regarding barrel life. When BC, scope height and V-muzzle are known the rest is math. Still need to know range to target and wind drift.
Have a heavy barreled 223. Shoot light loads 52gr SMK running 3000 fps or so. 45 grain Hornet at 3100 ish, have over 2100 rounds through the barrel, very little cracking, still shoots 3/4 moa all day.

That last 200 FPS costs a lot.
( Have not discussed barrel cleaning and bullet obturation )
Go for heavier bullets and slow down.

ABC1000

Reaction score
Here’s a pic of my 6.5 PRC AFTER 240 rounds… can see cracking… 147g bullet and 55.9 g of RL26 not pushing it too hard @ 3,095. Probably 220 rounds as I have 20 loaded and I count loaded not actually fired.

Attachments

• 15DDEE50-B84E-4951-986C-51C7B64A0FB1.jpeg
    15DDEE50-B84E-4951-986C-51C7B64A0FB1.jpeg
    19.4 KB · Views: 9

Forum Sponsors