Fierce Rival review

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Our Rival has arrived and testing has begun. Ask any questions. I will try to answer some as we go and try to get them answered in the review.
4E3b87wh.jpg

***Updated 8/3/21*** Watch full video review here.

Ladd

Reaction score
How do you like the vertical grip so far?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you like the vertical grip so far?

It is pretty early and I reserve the right to change my mind later but I would say it is on par with or maybe just slightly behind the Clymr for me. I do think I still prefer the Clymr just a tad.

Ladd

Reaction score
I don’t have any time behind mine and won’t for a bit but what little I held it I felt that my pinky finger wasn’t on the grip enough. I can’t wait to get mine back and try it.

Last edited:

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I don’t have any time behind mine and won’t fof a bit but what little I held it I felt that my pinky finger wasn’t on the grip enough. I can’t wait to get mine back and try it.

It is not tall. The pinky is barely hanging on. The Clymr is the same.

Ladd

Reaction score
It is pretty early and I reserve the right to change my mind later but I would say it is on par with or maybe just slightly behind the Clymr for me. I do think I still prefer the Clymr just a tad.
That says something if you're putting the Fierce Rival stock in the same company as the Gunwerks Clymr, in a good way.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
That says something if you're putting the Fierce Rival stock in the same company as the Gunwerks Clymr, in a good way.

The Clymr is a much more refined stock but as far as shooting I like both.

DreaminofMT6X6s

Reaction score
I was super unimpressed with the grip and LOP. I could never get comfortable behind it. The carbon barrel also had cosmetic blemishes along the left side. Did it shoot 1/2 MOA yes, but the fit and finish drove me crazy. $3k and I was still wishing I had gone elsewhere. I like their rifles and Ryan’s review of the edge model. I just think the Rival needs refining.

In their defense I guess they could have lengthened the LOP for me.

DreaminofMT6X6s

Reaction score
Ryan what do you think about the action quality vs a similar custom action with non-integrated recoil lug?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Based on your previous post I am not sure we are going to agree. This is why it is a great day in time to be a longrange gear head. Tons of options. This Rival stock is easily in my top five favorite stocks. I do like the action. I like the 70 degree bolt throw. The bolt handle does not interfere with Nightforce throw levers(others too). As far as the rest of the action it does not offer much another custom does not offer. I do not see myself using a non integrated recoil action ever again(unless for testing/reviewing). There are too many integrated recoil actions to go the old route.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is a 26". It was one of the first ordered before the 24" was decided to be the standard.

Ladd

Reaction score
Looking good, and good speed for a 24" barrel.
They were an option when the Rival was first released. Not now. I don't know why yet. The 26-inch barrel for my 300 win mag Rival should be in tomorrow. Fingers crossed they can get it ready and spin it on by the end of January.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there more to the review coming? Inquiring minds want to know.
We are not quick to put out "reviews". I will not give a final review until I have spent plenty of time with a product. I think it is safe to say the rifle will shoot. Fierce is one of very few with a .5moa guarantee.

DreaminofMT6X6s

Reaction score
We are not quick to put out "reviews". I will not give a final review until I have spent plenty of time with a product. I think it is safe to say the rifle will shoot. Fierce is one of very few with a .5moa guarantee.

ahhhh ok thanks

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I am going to settle on 77.7 with new brass until the barrel speeds up. Average velocity is 2920 with good vertical. This target was shot in wind but it is consistently shooting tight vertical. This was at 565 yards in a 8-12 mph wind.
CpwkqChl.jpg

Ladd

Reaction score
I am going to settle on 77.7 with new brass until the barrel speeds up. Average velocity is 2920 with good vertical. This target was shot in wind but it is consistently shooting tight vertical.
CpwkqChl.jpg
yahtzee. That's looking great.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
LOL! I guess it would help if I stated the yardage. I updated the post.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I assumed 1000 yards.
I have not been able to get to my 1k target for awhile for numerous reasons. Between crops and hunting it is unavailable more than available.

Ladd

Reaction score
Either way I think your 300 PRC Fierce Rival is shooting well. I'm happy I kept with the 26-inch barrel. 2920 fps is a nice muzzle velocity for the 215. I hope mine will do the same.

DreaminofMT6X6s

Reaction score
I’m going to eat my own words here. Just sold a very heavy MPA chassis rifle because I had to book an outfitter for a mountain goat hunt. Now I’m in the market for lightweight rifle...and wouldn’t you know...Fierce Rival has floated back to the top of my list.

Ladd

Reaction score
I’m going to eat my own words here. Just sold a very heavy MPA chassis rifle because I had to book an outfitter for a mountain goat hunt. Now I’m in the market for lightweight rifle...and wouldn’t you know...Fierce Rival has floated back to the top of my list.
You may want to look at the Fierce CT Rival for a little weight savings. Of course the Christensen Arms Ridgeline TI is tough to beat too. Good issues to have with a tag like that.

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
Where is the video review of this? I'm about to order one in 300PRC with a 26" barrel.
Thanks

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
It is done and in our queue. I would expect it in the next couple weeks.

Ladd

Reaction score
I watched your review just now and it was worth the wait. Nice job. If I didn’t have a Fierce Rival I’d call them tomorrow and order one. About how many rounds do you have through it now?

Last edited:

RBanta66

Reaction score
I to watched the review and I agree with everything Ladd had to say. I've been watching Fierce since they came out and have handled several of there rifles, bottom line I just need to lay down the cash and put one in my safe. Your review just might have put the nail in that coffin. Great review!

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
I’m excited about mine. Been in the safe for a week now. Just waiting on the correct rings. Lord willing I’ll be at the range Friday before work.

Quest1000

Reaction score
For those with the rifle, how do you feel about the stock? Are you going to stick with it or upgrade? I’ve wanted a Ridgleline but don’t want to switch out the stock for a more verticals grip.

Ladd

Reaction score
For those with the rifle, how do you feel about the stock? Are you going to stick with it or upgrade? I’ve wanted a Ridgleline but don’t want to switch out the stock for a more verticals grip.
I'm keeping the stock as is.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
The stock is one of the best features of the rifle.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I watched your review just now and it was worth the wait. Nice job. If I didn’t have a Fierce Rival I’d call them tomorrow and order one. About how many rounds do you have through it now?
It's over 200 now. It is a very consistent rifle.

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
It’s the reason why I bought mine. I was going to get a different stock for my ridgeline but after looking and seeing the rival it was a no brained. I could have a new rival a lot faster then a new stock.

Dmorgan46

Reaction score
Ryan how dose it rate against the edge, lets assume that both the edge and the rival have the same stock. Would you take the rival over the edge?

boman

Reaction score
Ryan,
How would you compare the Fierce side discharge muzzle brake to the Ti Pro brake? Also there was some discussion a while back regarding the mounts that can be used on the Rival, can the Rival use true 700 rails and mounts? Thanks for the review, well done.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan how dose it rate against the edge, lets assume that both the edge and the rival have the same stock. Would you take the rival over the edge?
Both are great actions but nothing I have touched has fed as smoothly as an Edge. The Edge mag box is only 3.75" though so if you needed longer the Rival would win. The Edge also has fewer trigger options and the factory trigger is not great. It is ok but I would always swap it out to a BnA.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan,
How would you compare the Fierce side discharge muzzle brake to the Ti Pro brake? Also there was some discussion a while back regarding the mounts that can be used on the Rival, can the Rival use true 700 rails and mounts? Thanks for the review, well done.
The Fierce side discharge brake is very comparable to the best brakes out there.

S.mcvicker

Reaction score
Just joined LRO, I’ve been a fan for quite some time, and have learned a lot! How are the fierce rifles compared to Christiansen rifles? Would you pick one over the other? Also, do you have any plans for a video on load development for a specific rifle? I’ve watched your other load development videos probably 1/2 a dozen times, would be cool to see a specific rifle from start to finish. Great stuff Ryan! Thank you for educating!

Forum Sponsors