Entry level 22lr rifle

Bruised

Reaction score
With all the new offerings for ELR type 22 rifles, does anyone have opinions on any of them. I see models from Christensen, Bergara, CZ, Ruger and Savage. Vudoo and Zermat are out of the equation for now. The price point of the CZ AT-one and the Christensen are attractive but I have only seen the CZ in person. Any options I should look at or advise would be appreciated.
Bobby

Pond skipper

Reaction score
If ELR rimfire is what you want to do then save until vudoo is an option. I know they are expensive but honestly, there’s nothing close to them out there for what you get.

jkv45

Reaction score
Just how far do you plan to shoot? How much do you have to spend?

I've seen some very good long range groups from CZs, Savages, and Rugers as well. The results aren't as consistent as with a full custom rifle like a Vudoo, and there can be some duds, but most can do pretty well.

A lot of it is the ammo testing. Vudoo designed their rifles to shoot Lapua ammo, but your lower-end rifles aren't specifically designed to fire one brand - so there's looser tolerances and they may be more sensitive to ammo.

There are also higher-end off-the-shelf .22s available from Bergara and Howa that would be a step up, but not into the price range of a true custom rifle like a Vudoo.

Bruised

Reaction score
I'm not looking to compete, just have some fun and not break the bank. I have been shooting 300-400 yards with a standard Ruger American rimfire with a whole lot of holdover.🙂I would like something more stable and suited to some longer ranges, no Tacom Charlie's or Nightforce, just a solid shooter. The upper end for me would be the $1100 Bergara but would prefer to spend less and buy a lot of different ammo for testing.
Thanks
Bobby

jkv45

Reaction score
Whatever you choose, you will want a 20 MOA scope rail.

What are you using for a scope? Are you planning to use the scope you have now on the new rifle?

Lots of people like their CZs. I've never handled or fired one. I have a Savage Mark II Target with a Pro Varmint stock and SWFA 10x scope that does well at standard distances, but I've not tested it at long rang as of yet. Savage does have a new line of Precision bolt and semi-autos out that come with a MDT chassis if you like that type of stock.

If you search for posts here by Greyfox, in the rimfire section, you'll see he has had good long range results with his Savages.

Bruised

Reaction score
Definitely planning on the 20 moa rail. I have a Sig Whiskey 5 with MOA Milling Hunter reticle I plan to put on it. My current set-up is a Ruger American with standard mounts and a Blazer scope that was given to me years ago. The scope actually has target turrets and adjustable objective. It tracks very consistently which is a surprise for this price level, but runs out of elevation at around 100 yards and clarity is marginal at best.
Thank you

Bruised

Reaction score
Broz, that was really the one at the top of my list. Thankfully I'm not in a hurry and can wait for some reviews of all the new rifles coming out.
Thank you.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
It all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to do it, but if going long you will want a scope with a lot of elevation. SWFA has one I reviewed with 120 moa I believe, that would be a great lower budget choice and a 60 moa rail for it. In the world of 22 ELR a scope with very limited internal elevation and a 20 moa rail is like peeing on a forest fire.

Bruised

Reaction score
Thank you. I will see if a 20 moa rail,internal adjustment and reticle will get me where I want to go, if not I'll definitely check out the SWFA line.
Bobby

jkv45

Reaction score
It all depends on what you want to do and how far you want to do it, but if going long you will want a scope with a lot of elevation. SWFA has one I reviewed with 120 moa I believe, that would be a great lower budget choice and a 60 moa rail for it. In the world of 22 ELR a scope with very limited internal elevation and a 20 moa rail is like peeing on a forest fire.

Per Broz's recommendation -

SWFA x2 -

9fPD7Dz.jpg

Bruised

Reaction score
Has there been any projected release date set for the Ranger?

dyecocker1

Reaction score
My CZ455 trainer will hold .9 inch 10 shot groups at 100 with good ammo, about 1.1 with mid-grade norma match. Have hits out to 800 yards on 1 moa plates. I run a Nightforce SHV with a Cold shot. You don't need to spend big bucks to have fun

Last edited:

Jasent

Reaction score
20moa rail is not enough. What ever elevation your scope has use half of it. I’ll 2nd the swfa scopes. Been great for me. Running a 16x fixed with 115 moa of dial and 35 moa of hold over.

tracygaug

Reaction score
This rifle is good for hunting on large fields. You can read about it on ballachy.com. It is deafening, and the scope is strong. This allows you to see at long distances, and this transforms deer hunting into an easy thing. Unfortunately, the scope is expensive, and not every hunter can allow it. But with a smaller scope, you can easily hunt in a forest. This rifle is good because it can work with any scope and modification for the gun. In my opinion, a good scope is the only thing you will need to attach for a propper hunting session.

Last edited:

strow

Reaction score
I have a Tikka T1X in a XLR Element 4.0 chassis with an Athlon Midas 4-24x. The Tikka thankfully likes CCI SV and most SK. The Athlon has been an amazing scope for the price! It tracks well and has parallax focus down to 10y. The chassis with the full length Arca and easily adjustable stock has been great for starting new and young shooters.

I have also had real good luck with the Neil Waltz (sp) 22lr sizing die that will put a FP or HP on RN ammo. It does a very good job turning match ammo into match hunting ammo.

Its not a Voodoos, S&B, and Midas...but it works for us. Poor people have poor ways...

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score
I'm taking my CZ 457 mtr out for the maiden voyage tomorrow. I've only got some RWS R50 on hand at the moment so I am hoping it likes that load. Wolf match extra and eley match on route but not soon enough for tomorrow.

220yotekiller

Reaction score
I used to shoot competitively with my CZ 452 (the old model) and it was/ is fantastic! When I started, I was the only shooter who used one when I started, six years later 5 out of 12 of my team mates had sold their Savages and bought CZ's. You can't beat them!

Rusty85

Reaction score
I bought a factory CZ457 with the Manners stock and the 24” barrel to start out my long range 22 journey only thing I did was changed the trigger spring and put a 30 moa Area 419 scope rail on it. It shot right at 2 moa at 300 with a couple of good ammos.
Now the only thing that’s factory on it is the stock and action. I put a 20” Area 419 Bartlien barrel on it, now with SK long range ammo it constantly shoots under 1 moa at 300 and beyond with the right wind conditions.

matt_3479

Reaction score
I think if I were to do more of a budget 22 I’d do the tikka. I’ve seen them and shot against them in matches and damn out of the box they bloody shoot well! There’s a few good prefits at great prices as well to just up the game that much more. Decent aftermarket support for them. Depending on budget for scope I’d be looking at the element helix on the cheap side, element titan or vortex venom/strike eagle on the middle sides.

that said, saving up for a vudoo or rimx is well worth it in my mind. It’s my most used rifle by far

Forum Sponsors