dimples in brass

62flint

Reaction score
brass 2.jpg brass1.jpg I have noticed every piece of brass I have shot out of my new rifle has these dimples, I can not find the cause. I thought at first I was dropping them to hard in the pan, I catch the brass when I work the bolt or they fall out of the chamber on to a wood bench. I don't think it is from rough handling, I have cleaned the chamber, looked in it from the breech with a flash light. I do not see any thing. I wish I had a bore scope. Any ideas? It extracts the brass easily. No pressure signs.
I am going to load up some new brass and shoot it this evening. Be extra careful and see what happens.
Ca ridgeline 300wm

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
As you open the bolt, and as soon as you can get your finger in there to push the brass back so it doesn't slam the inside of the action, keep pressure inward as you slowly extract a piece of brass. See if that cures it. It is either as Ladd stated , hitting scope turret, or slamming the inside of the action causing this. The cure may be lighter ejection springs.

Last edited:

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Found it, Smacking the turret on the scope.
Glad you found it! Mine was doing the same thing. I didn't notice it until it was too late and it dinged up my NightForce windage cap. I was pissed. But it is what it is. I changed the spring with a kit I bought from Ernie's and also put some camo coban around it to help eliminate the dings.

62flint

Reaction score
Pull the bolt. Remove the spring behind the lower ejection plunger and retest.
Never pulled a 700 bolt down that far. I am pretty handy mechanically, Any tricks or just YOUTUBE it

Diverjeff

Reaction score
Never pulled a 700 bolt down that far. I am pretty handy mechanically, Any tricks or just YOUTUBE it
I've pulled mine apart a few times,and like Broz said a small punch and hammer will tap the pin right out.On the CA's with dual ejectors you'll have to line up the little pin guides when reassembling,and keep an eye on the springs when you tap out the pin,I spent 20 minutes digging around in the carpet looking for one. :D

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I will add to @Broz that if you can, the Sinclair Remington bolt maintenance kit is very nice to use and have. This is one piece of gear that was recommended to me and I am glad I have it. Not needed. But nice to have.

Also recommended was a good punch set. I'm sure any punch set will work. But if you're a "buy once, cry once" type, then the Starrett punch set is awesome. The 1/16 punch is what you will need.

Forum Sponsors