CVA Paramount

lbirch

Reaction score
I've been interested in a CVA Paramount since its introduction so I decided to get it from Muzzle-loaders.com when it went on sale recently. I've been waiting for a Remington bdl bottom metal to arrive from Brownells. I decided to go with new bottom metal instead of trying to shape the McMillan Game Hunter stock I bought for it in urban carbon ambush camo. My test fit of the McMillan sure does reduce a lot of weight. I heard it kicks like a 338 so I don't want to cause any damage to the McMillan and plan to put a muzzlebrake on it after bedding the stock. I plan to try 275 gr Parker Match Hunters or Ballistic Extremes in it after sizing them in the Parker smooth sided sizing die.

I'm just trying out something new and am looking for some experience. If you have any with the Paramount let me know. I have a Remington UML that I've done similar mods to so I have some experience.

lbirch

Reaction score
The Remington 700 short action bottom metal came today for the McMillan Game Hunter stock I plan to bed the CVA Paramount in. I ordered new action screws too because it seamed like the factory CVA screws might be short. The front was, the rear screw works. One thing I noticed if you're not careful the front action screw can be tightened into the breach plug threads possibly damaging them. I'll have to shorten the screw enough to be able to get a good torque on. This may be tricky.

I'm still looking for a good side discharge brake for it. Any suggestions?

lives2hunt

Reaction score
I would look at this brake if you haven't already.
Muzzleloader Muzzle Brake Sabot Friendly | Long Range Muzzleloaders and Muzzle Brakes
You should ask Levi about the match hunter bullets in the paramount also i think he tried them and said they was too small for the bore and would just fall through unless knurled.

LRC Shop Product Review: CVA Paramount
This is a first for me, so I will try to be informative, brief, and as always, brutally honest .
Unboxing this rifle, I was immediately impressed with the design of the action, the extremely solid stock, and the very smooth light factory trigger.
And that is where the ooo's and ahhh's ended and the work began

First things first
The muzzle crown. This recess cutting of the crown has been a trend that has taken many of the manufacturer's down a path of "easy to use, not necessarily best for accuracy. "

I personally am not a fan. Powder residue build up, and inexact crowning, exacerbate inaccuracy problems. More on this later.
Vari flame breech plug system. sorry for you fans of this, but I am not. When you have a primer module OD of .279" and a Breech plug orfice ID of .287" your leaving a lot of wiggle room, which isnt generally a term you want to hear in conjunction with accurate rifles.
The floating bolt face, which is spring loaded, is meant to cure any timing issues which occur within manufacturing tolerances is a band aid on a bigger problem.I will also touch more on that a bit later.
Stainless steel modules into a stainless steel breech plug. Centerfire shooters use brass cases. Why? Expansion of the neck in a properly head spaced chamber, when fired, seals the gasses off and thereby creating the pressure needed to kick the bullet out of the barrel. Very consistently as history and physics have shown. Where is the expansion of a steel module by comparison? This will lead into the rest
Bore diameter. HUGE! The minor ID of the bore is in the .452" diameter area (known fact). And the major ID is .458 ( I am assuming this diameter as I havent ran a full formed bullet through one yet). This leaves fairly shallow rifling for the bullet to "hook up" on. Even the CVA Hunter 4570 barrels are under .451 minor ID. I am lead to believe that CVA purposely did this for ease of use and also to get more people to stick with their partners bullets (power belts).
Sacrificed a bit of accuracy to gain easy loading and excited hunters needing a slick quick reload.

Mass weight... well, I guess they assumed that since the Remington Ultimate was a heavy weight and sold well, CVA could do the same. Recoil reduction with a heavier rifle, I am sure was part of the thinking.
That wicked cool stock, featuring adjustable cheek piece, adjustable LOP, whizz bang quick detach slings... weighs a lot.. I dropped this barreled action into a AG composite Carbon stock and was amazed at the balance over the factory stock. Cool stock though. Very rigid

Now that I have beaten it up, let's talk about the good stuff of which there is plenty.

The twist rate of the Bergara made barrel is 1 in 22". Very good twist rate for the 250 to 280gr bullets running at blackhorn speeds. Running a triple layered patch down the bore shows very consistent bore diameter.. well made

The action.
Remington style foot print, short stroke, 2 lug, action bolt stop and release. CVA nailed that part. Well designed, well made. Not too clunky on my rifle. Though using metric threads on the barrel? Come On! Drops the cool factor a bit.

Factory trigger.. smokes all but Browning factory triggers in crispness.. has some adjustments and is nice right out of the box.

Non attached ramrod... I am a fan! Been running a separate ramrod on all my personal rifles and liked the wisdom of keeping anything from hanging off the barrel. Personal taste and not saying an attached ramrod rifle wont shoot better than the shooter, just my own OCD talking and thinking.

Hand primer and deprimer.. cool little tool. Handy, compact, easy to use.

I fired off a couple of shots using 104gr bh209 (weighed) and the 280gr PB LR.. didnt love the recoil. Being a bit recoil shy, you all know what I did.

Harkening back to the recessed bore for easy loading and my personal dislike for it, I set up the 4 jaw, dialed in the barrel, cut off the recess and recrowned with an 11 degree target crown.
While I was at it, I installed the new MZ-REX ST 4 brake. Refer to recoil shy above.
Loaded up 10 premeasured 104gr bh209 quick loads, took the rest of the primed modules and sallied forth to dial in the new toy, or at least get it on paper.

3 shots later, what I figured would happen at some point, happened. See the pics with the modules lined up from shiny to blackened.

Also at 3:22 in this video, watch the rear of the bolt when the rifle is fired. CVA will send you a stiffer spring to remedy this issue.
https://youtu.be/bf07iJaE310

Gas leak! Too hot of a primer? Cci200? Dont think so. Also got 2.5" group out of the deal. SMH.
So, hooking up with Luke Horak of Arrowhead Rifles, he sent up a breech plug to drop in, a bit of lathe work required, new bolt head. ( I got impatient with a new breech plug installed and not being able to shoot, so I built my own bolt head (metric threads also 🙄),which is made to use brass primer modules that expand at the neck) Luke has a self timing bolt head which is much better finished than my "one off" timed head. This system uses a brass primer module that is made to take heavy pressures and react like the before mentioned centerfire cases

Next, I used the Fury 275gr ST2 .452 bullets, and was able to load without running them through a sizing die. I also incorporated the 280gr PBLR bullets in the shooting along with a few Parker 275gr Ballistic extremes that had been knurled out to .4525"
No sizing die needed so far.
104 gr to 110gr of BH209, in 1/2gr increments, showed me this. I used higher pressure rated parts in the change over from factory to LRC'd rifle.

275gr Fury ST2. 452,.060 veggie wad
2462fps, needs swabbed every 2 shots, fired a ⅝" sized group at 100yds
Parker 275gr Ballistic extreme with knurling. .060 veggie wads
2484fps, 1/2" group at 100 yds, no swabbing in between shots until string was done (these are not readily available bullets as I had them taken out of the. 451 stock diameter)
280gr PBLR
2362 fps 3/4" at 100, no swabbing needed. Easy to load

At 300yds
The fury st2 and the Parker Ballistic extreme ran 2.5" to 3.5" groups... also showed significant right drift. Roughly 3" or 1 MOA
The PBLR hung in with a 4" group, and actually hit a bit higher showing better BC than the other 2. Slightly less drift at roughly 2"

500 yards. Not a MOA rifle at that range. Significant drift with all bullets used.

So. Can this be a legit 300 yard gun? Yes. Absolutely, 110% agree.
What will it take to get there?
New breech plug system and bolt head
Muzzle brake (nice to shoot after installing one)
Lots of TLC and OCD in loading.. weigh out all bh209 loads, as volumetric loads can vary 5 gr by weight. 100gr by volume is equivalent to 70gr by weight.. dont mix those up!
You will see guys launching these out there at stupid distances. I wouldnt hunt passed 300 yards with this rifle, or any other muzzy for that matter, but that is up to the owner.
There may be more folks that are taking more time to work up loads than I had. I hope to see results.

In closing this very long winded piece of shotgun style writing, I give this rifle a 8 out of 10 for a factory rifle.. Is this a Custom grade rifle with custom grade accuracy? No, but I think it can be built into a great set up. Just takes time and money. The upgrades I mentioned above are going to run you in the range of 700 to 800$

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

lbirch

Reaction score
Good read. Everything I have been thinking about.

Last edited:

ENCORE

Reaction score
……………………...I'm still looking for a good side discharge brake for it. Any suggestions?
You just can not beat the brakes from LR Customs.
I have a T-Rex CSTM on my custom build. If I were to brake any other rifle, I'd have Levi install it.

lbirch

Reaction score
The G3 MZ-REX was a month out so I decided to give the Bad to the Bone muzzleloader muzzle brake a try. If a Paramount is anything like my Rem UML a brake is definitely necessary.

Thanks for the suggestions.

ENCORE

Reaction score
The G3 MZ-REX was a month out so I decided to give the Bad to the Bone muzzleloader muzzle brake a try. If a Paramount is anything like my Rem UML a brake is definitely necessary.

Levi is hunting rams, which is why everything is a month out :)

ENCORE

Reaction score
If figured it was hunting related. Thanks.
He sent me a few photos of some young rams this morning, along with a video he took of the sparing. He did tell me that there is one in another group he's keeping a close eye on.

NC_Surveyor

Reaction score

Yes, the rem ultimate is a kicker! Should have been sold with at least a radial brake.

ENCORE

Reaction score
Yes, the rem ultimate is a kicker! Should have been sold with at least a radial brake.

LOL...……….. Yeah, stick 180 or 200grs down that barrel and stuff a 300gr bullet on top, the go ahead and touch that SOB off without a brake. When you get your ship back together, you'll look behind you for your head. The recoil is best described as violent.
I owned and shot the BP Xpress for 6 yrs, which at least came with a radial.

Lapuafan

Reaction score
Is anyone making the smokeless module for the paramount yet ?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lbirch

Reaction score

My guess is that someone will come up with aftermarket parts to make the CVA Paramount a smokeless muzzleloader. It would need a new barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ENCORE

Reaction score

Yes, its been available for quite some time from Arrowhead Rifles.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/paramount-arrowhead-gen2-upgrade/[/FONT]

Note...………. although the breech plug is rated for a smokeless muzzleloader...…….. the Paramount CAN NOT shoot smokeless propellants.
Just don't want someone with little experience thinking that if he/she changes the breech plug, that they can shoot smokeless propellant.

lbirch

Reaction score
One of these days I'll have Luke convert my Rem UML into a smokeless. We talked about converting it with a carbon wrapped barrel. I was thinking about it after I get this paramount up and running. I just need to do it by the end of the year.

Forum Sponsors