Cooper Firearms Open Country Long Range Lightweight, By Ryan Furman

Justin Crossley

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cooper Firearms has built a reputation for top-quality, accurate rifles. The Open Country Long Range Lightweight was built for the hunter who needs an accurate rifle for long-range hunting in a lighter package. Check out Ryan's review and let him know any questions you have.

Masterdunbar

Reaction score
This video has me rethinking a few things on current build. That stock has got some great qualities ! I’ll be giving Cooper a call tomorrow. Always value your input Furman. Thank you

JTH

Reaction score
Great review. I’ve got two Coopers, a M52 Timberline in 300 win mag and a M22 Raptor in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both are consistently 1/2 moa if I do my part. Top quality product.

The only thing I‘d change about the Coopers is their actions have different action screw spacing, so upgrading to a Manners stock is not an option. I’m not sure if McMillan has offerings for Cooper actions. The Cooper stocks are great but lack options for flush cups on the sides (or elsewhere), or adjustable combs. These are minor concerns for most folks, but something worth pointing out. I suppose you could drill out the stock and install flush cups yourself, not sure about how sturdy that would be and cosmetically if you’d have paint chipping as a result.

If you like their stocks as is, it would be hard to beat a Cooper, really great value in a semi custom rifle that’s incredibly accurate.

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Flush cups are easy to install and adjustable cheek pieces are over rated. Most people have to much cheek pressure. Most of the Cooper hunting rifles are not meant for shooting prone. This one is and leaves little to be desired.

SQ1

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Ryan. I was hoping you could compare the Cooper action to the Terminus line of actions. Is there a superior 60 degree action? Thank you.

Forum Sponsors