Construction/Features Review of the Christensen Carbon Wrapped Barrel and components

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Here we can discuss the review of the Christensen Arm Gun Smith Carbon Wrapped Barrel Blank and other components by LRO editor Jeff Brozovich.

Go HERE to read watch the video review.

Broz

Reaction score
Does their DBM work with a standard BDL inlet?
It does. But, some inlets have a slight over cut for the floor plate to register in. This is how my stock is. So it would show a white line around the DMB metal in the box area. This line could be filled or simply color matched and would be mostly hidden then.

IMG_20170128_123333357.jpg

Broz

Reaction score
Similar question. I'm excited to see your project build is using the same stock I want to use for my build. For the DBM, what inlet do you specify when ordering the Manner stock? CA is not an option in their ordering tool. Thanks!
The inlet is the same as the 700 DBM with the exception of the relief cut for the floor plate. I would make a phone call to the stock mfg. I am sure this cut can be easily omitted.

The other thought would be to just paint the relief cut to match. Then both options would always be an option.

Jeff

BClrh

Reaction score
Jeff how did you get 30cal 9 twist barrels from CA. They only list 10 twist on there site. I called about an 8 twist in 7mm a while back and they said they only did 9 twist and had zero intention of doing an 8.

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff how did you get 30cal 9 twist barrels from CA. They only list 10 twist on there site. I called about an 8 twist in 7mm a while back and they said they only did 9 twist and had zero intention of doing an 8.
They do make a 9 twist in 30 cal. However, it is special order and did take a while to get. Another reason I ordered two. As they accumulate orders they do a 9 twist run as I understand it. We talked about this in a meeting with CA at shot. I offered to them that the 10 twist in a 30 for long range was becoming a thing of the past and they took note and may be stepping up this option. We need to remember that the largest group of buyers are not the long range community. But also we as a group need to do what we can to educate companies like CA as to our needs. When the need is large enough we will get what we ask for.

Interestingly enough, we also discussed the use of zero cant rails on their actions with integral rails. I offered that no one needs a zero cant rail. Most every scope today will zero at 100 with a 20 moa rail and the 20 moa rail will fill the needs of the LR shooters better. The president of CA then told me they had visited this many times. The larger majority of buyers out there do NOT want a 20 moa rail even though we have explained to them it will offer no adverse effects. This is why CA only offers the 20 moa rails on their LR rigs. And also offers rifles like the Ridge Line and Mesa that come with no rails so you can add your own. So what does all this mean? We need to keep educating the general public buyers to the good in these options. And, keep asking CA and other MFG's for our wants and needs. They do listen.

Jeff

BClrh

Reaction score
Very true Jeff, I often forget that us long range guys aren't the centre of the universe, lol

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Reaction score
Jeff, are you specing a reamer for this project or using SAAMI?

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Reaction score
How much longer did you make the throat?

jmden

Reaction score
Yes, I spoke to them yesterday about something similar. Although they have the ability to make barrels up to 36", the longest they make is 28" or so I was told. Bummer...and, again, they seemed to indicate there was little incentive to change that.

Forum Sponsors