Christensen Arms Ridgeline Video Review

ol mike

Reaction score
Great review !
I went to their site the rifles seem reasonably priced and from the review appear to shoot great .
That Mesa model sure caught my eye too .
Seems like I read years ago the barrel liner on a certain carbon fiber barrel could be changed out when it's shot out ?

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Great review !
I went to their site the rifles seem reasonably priced and from the review appear to shoot great .
That Mesa model sure caught my eye too .
Seems like I read years ago the barrel liner on a certain carbon fiber barrel could be changed out when it's shot out ?
We are testing a Mesa now too.

I never heard of changing liners out , but sure these are not changeable due to inner contour.

Jeff

RobLou

Reaction score
Broz,
I was watchin the video and noticed that Dan's rifle has the carbon fiber mag box...Did he order that? Or did it come with it?

Broz

Reaction score
Broz,
I was watchin the video and noticed that Dan's rifle has the carbon fiber mag box...Did he order that? Or did it come with it?
That is exactly the way the rifle came. Thus the theme of the review "Off The Shelf" Now that the review is done, the only change we are making is to upgrade the rifle to the CA titanium Slayer Brake to reduce dust and dirt while shooting prone. Then Daniel will hunt with her just like that using ABM factory ammo with 215 Bergers.

Jeff

Broz

Reaction score
I just got notification that the two Ridge lines in 300 win mag I ordered for friends are done. We will have them in a week. These both were ordered with an upgrade to the titanium slayer brakes. Going to be a lot of freezers filled with Christensen Ridge Line 300 win around Montana this year.

Jeff

Reaction score
I see these listed usually at $1995, but some times a little less. Have you found somewhere to order them for a good price? Thanks Bruce

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
I see these listed usually at $1995, but some times a little less. Have you found somewhere to order them for a good price? Thanks Bruce
call our sponsor 1 Shot Gear! tell them we told you to call they might be able to save you a buck.

RobLou

Reaction score
That is exactly the way the rifle came. Thus the theme of the review "Off The Shelf" Now that the review is done, the only change we are making is to upgrade the rifle to the CA titanium Slayer Brake to reduce dust and dirt while shooting prone. Then Daniel will hunt with her just like that using ABM factory ammo with 215 Bergers.

Jeff
Okay. I wondering because I just got my ridgeline in and it did not come with the carbon fiber mag box. I guess I have to give them a call. thanks broz.

Planenut

Reaction score
Will the ABM ammo fit the factory mag box?

I have a Ridgeline on order and plan to reload but thought I would start with a few boxes of the ABM 215's. The only change is I was very lucky and able to get 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Thanks

Jeff

Broz

Reaction score
Will the ABM ammo fit the factory mag box?

I have a Ridgeline on order and plan to reload but thought I would start with a few boxes of the ABM 215's. The only change is I was very lucky and able to get 1 in 9 twist barrel.

Thanks
There has been some design changes to the Ridge Line mag boxes. But I feel the abm will indeed feed from both styles. I will be confirming this next week as I have two new ridglines to zero as soon as I get some ABM ammo. Or maybe Longshot can help us out with a OAL length on some of the ABM 215 ammo? Then we will know.

Jeff

BClrh

Reaction score
CA removed one of the front sling studs, no longer includes the rail, muzzle brake is stainless not titanium (brake change happened in 2016 I believe). I guess the carbon fiber mag box is gone as well.

I could swear the spec on them used to also say the action was blueprinted (not for sure on that) but now it does stat that they are not.

What all that mean depends on the person, but it is good to know the changes if your looking at buying a 2017 model.

Broz

Reaction score
CA removed one of the front sling studs, no longer includes the rail, muzzle brake is stainless not titanium (brake change happened in 2016 I believe). I guess the carbon fiber mag box is gone as well.

I could swear the spec on them used to also say the action was blueprinted (not for sure on that) but now it does stat that they are not.

What all that mean depends on the person, but it is good to know the changes if your looking at buying a 2017 model.
Yes, the new one I got in does not have two sling studs so I will need to add a hole and insert for the bipod rail. But as far as I know they never did come with the rail installed. We installed the one as stated in the review. It was a simple install as two studs where there.

Our 2016 Ridge line, we reviewed, came with a radial SS brake. To get the titanium you need to upgrade to the CA Classic model. However I ordered the two Ridge Line's I have now (2017's) with an upgrade to the titanium Slayer side discharge brake. It was a very affordable upgrade and I highly recommend it.

Not sure on blue printing either, but I saw the actions being made and they hold very tight tolerances on all aspects. So I have little concern here.

All in all, after looking over the two 2017's I just received, I am still a HUGE fan for the money for a top quality action, barrel and stock. With brake installed, side bolt release, fluted bolt and shroud, removable fluted bolt knob, M-16 style extractor, dual ejector pins, Stainless action all in a package that weighs about 6 1/2 lbs. Its very hard to beat in value.

Jeff

Planenut

Reaction score
Did you ever get a chance to check the ABM ammo and if it feeds in the new design?

Thanks so much.

brado16

Reaction score
Looks like there is cheek piece installed on the video as well when firing at the rock near the end of the video, what kind of check peice or pack is it?

Broz

Reaction score
Looks like there is cheek piece installed on the video as well when firing at the rock near the end of the video, what kind of check peice or pack is it?
I think we had just put that on that day. It is a nice cheek rest offered by www.BradleyCheekRest.com They strap on with velcro straps and some are adjustable.

Jeff

brado16

Reaction score
I think we had just put that on that day. It is a nice cheek rest offered by www.BradleyCheekRest.com They strap on with velcro straps and some are adjustable.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff- have you chronoed any reloads for the 300 Ridgeline? Were you able to get better velocity than the factoy ammo in the video with the 215s?

Planenut

Reaction score
Thanks very much for checking. I was getting a little concerned with mine already being ordered.

Yes, I just loaded 3 ABM 215's down in the mag box on a ridge line we just got in. Then I cycled all 3 and they fed fine.

Jeff

Planenut

Reaction score
Yes, the new one I got in does not have two sling studs so I will need to add a hole and insert for the bipod rail. But as far as I know they never did come with the rail installed. We installed the one as stated in the review. It was a simple install as two studs where there.

Jeff
What are the chances of a "how To Video" showing how to install a second sling stud and a rail for a bipod?

Thanks

livefastjohnny

Reaction score
This was a great how to video. In the July 9, 2017 Ridgeline review Daniel did, he mentions a bottom rail that requires no drilling. Is that the Christensen accessory shop version?

Broz

Reaction score
This was a great how to video. In the July 9, 2017 Ridgeline review Daniel did, he mentions a bottom rail that requires no drilling. Is that the Christensen accessory shop version?
No, Some earlier model ridge lines ( Like in the Review) came with dual sling swivel studs. We have a rail that will bolt right on those models. Newly released model ridge lines are coming in with a single sling swivel stud, thus the need to do what I did in the video to add a threaded insert to install the rail.

Jeff

livefastjohnny

Reaction score
Thank you Jeff. The Ridgeline is a finalist for my next rifle and I want to make sure i know exactly what I'm getting into.

Chazen

Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm concerned about cheek weld with these rifles. In the off the shelf version there was no cheek pad, but in the video he uses one. I know everyone is built different but have you yourself had to use one on a ridgeline?

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff,

I'm concerned about cheek weld with these rifles. In the off the shelf version there was no cheek pad, but in the video he uses one. I know everyone is built different but have you yourself had to use one on a ridgeline?
The only time that rfle was shot with a velcro on cheek rest was here at my house. 99% of the shooting was done without one. I just happen to have one so we put it on. If you think that a higher cheek rest will be needed for yourself, then you can always get one. There are many options out there. I can shoot anything with out a high cheek rest. Look at the LRKM's. Last week a friend and his wife were here with their new ridge line 300 win. We zeroed it, then took it to 450, then to 770 yards. Both of them and myself shot it just fine bare stock. But again, you personally may need a cheek rest, I have no way to tell, you will have to be the one to decide.

Jeff

Chazen

Reaction score
The only time that rfle was shot with a velcro on cheek rest was here at my house. 99% of the shooting was done without one. I just happen to have one so we put it on. If you think that a higher cheek rest will be needed for yourself, then you can always get one. There are many options out there. I can shoot anything with out a high cheek rest. Look at the LRKM's. Last week a friend and his wife were here with their new ridge line 300 win. We zeroed it, then took it to 450, then to 770 yards. Both of them and myself shot it just fine bare stock. But again, you personally may need a cheek rest, I have no way to tell, you will have to be the one to decide.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. That answers my question. This is my first big purchase. Just wanting to make sure I've got my ducks in a row before purchasing. Like you said I won't know till I put a scope on the rifle and give it a go. If I end up needing one I'll look into your recommendation. Appreciate the quick reply.

Untamed

Reaction score
I saw the review on the xtreme hardcore gear tactical bolt knob. With this mounted up on the CA Ridgeline 300 win mag is there enough clearance between the scope? Nightforce NXS 30mm tube

Last edited:

Slam-O

Reaction score
Great review!.. I saw a CA ridgeline in my local gun shop last week and went home, got on the internet and found your video on YouTube and here I am!.. Great site!.. Today I picked up that CA Ridgeline 300wm. The man at the counter told me he also watched your video and bought one too. The only difference with his is he got the 300 wsm. He also told me that he could do the same with his short mag but I don't know if that's true with 215 Berber's in a short mag? Anyway I have learned a lot in the short time that I have visited this site and hope to learn much more..!

Brentc

Reaction score
Congratulations! You chose wisely. There is a lot of info on here regarding how to get started with your new rifle. I look forward to hearing how it works out for you.

Last edited:

Slam-O

Reaction score
Thank you Brent!.. I have learned a lot in the short time that I have been here and the tried and true load data from you all with 215 Berger's kind of blow's my mind!.. I just finished getting my reload room together at my place and had some friends stop by to check it out and all they could do is talk about is my new CA Ridgeline!.. :D I called Christensen Arms today and talked to them about some advice on mounts and rings for my Zeiss conquest hd5 3-15x42 for a cougar hunt I'm going on in a few weeks ( I want to run the ridgeline as light as I can for now up in the mountains for a spot/stalk and call type of a hunt) And I told them that I saw the "Long Range Only" off the shelf video review and it sold me on the rifle!.. They thought that was great and said that video has sold a few other people on it too! CA customer service said some nice thing's about the crew at LRO and are very thankful.. I can't wait to get out on the range!...

Chippewa

Reaction score
I have a Ridgeline that I have been shooting prone with a velcro on Blackhawk uraban warfare cheekpad. Bolt is still removable but plenty comfortable for getting tight groups. This rifle with the sideport brake is a joy to shoot.

Crainey

Reaction score
I Just recently picked up this gun and I was wanting to know which exact rail you put on in the front for the bipod. I don't want to drill in this stock. I looked at modular evolutions website but there are a couple of options. I do want to make sure I pick up the right rail.

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score

jasont

Reaction score
I’d like to know if the bottom metal from the mpr, will fit the Ridgeline, and what’s the internal dimensions of the magazine

Forum Sponsors