Christensen Arms Ridge Line in 6.5 PRC

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
What are your thoughts on the 143 eldx vs the 140 berger elite hunter?
I have not used the 143 X on game yet, and I hope it holds together a bit better up close than the 147 M, But if I had to pick one right now from past experience, it would be the 140 VLD Hunting

Tmmdcampbell

Reaction score
I don’t see where Redding is making them yet. Is this a special order deal?

Broz

Reaction score
I don’t see where Redding is making them yet. Is this a special order deal?
I have had my Redding dies for quite some time. All I could get was the Deluxe 3 die set (non Bushing) and then I ordered the micrometer adjustment to add to the seating die. I will add a FL bushing die once they have them available.

Might be worth calling Redding, I have many times and found options not on their site.

Jeff

Sheepaholic

Reaction score
Broz can you suggest a starting point for a bushing with the hornady brass? Im going to measure fired and loaded brass when i get home today.

Broz

Reaction score
Broz can you suggest a starting point for a bushing with the hornady brass? Im going to measure fired and loaded brass when i get home today.
Measuring the factory loaded rounds I have here. Both the 143 ELDX and 147 ELD M measure .2915" to .292" So from that, if your brass is consistent to this, a .289" bushing would be .0025 to .003" neck tension. a .290" bushing would be .0015" to .002" of neck tension.

DEW

Reaction score
I got the same measurements as Broz on my 147 ELDM rounds. I ordered the Redding dies part #36487 and a 289 and 290 bushing. That part # gives you a full length bushing die and competition seeting die.

Last edited:

DEW

Reaction score
Broz what’s the difference between the 140 hunting VLD and the 140 elite hunter bullets? Is there a reason why you would choose one over the other?

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
Broz what’s the difference between the 140 hunting VLD and the 140 elite hunter bullets? Is there a reason why you would choose one over the other?
I have never used the 140 Elite Hunter, but I believe it is a hybrid o give. I would use the one my rifle likes best, if it shoots them both, go for the higher BC

Ladd

Reaction score
Any updates on the CA Ridgeline 6.5 PRC? Upgrades like Manners or McMillan stock? The 147 ELDM shoots the best out of mine and I’ve tried the ELD-X and the Hornady and Berger options from Copper Creek. Are heavier bullets better?

Last edited:

Sako76

Reaction score
Hey Broz, did you ever get a chance to shoot the 156 Bergers in the 6.5 PRC? Thanks.

J2shooter

Reaction score
Hey Broz, did you ever get a chance to shoot the 156 Bergers in the 6.5 PRC? Thanks.
This thread may answer your question.....lots of 156 EOL data here.

shysty315

Reaction score
What is a good price on a Ridgeline??

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Ladd

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, the Ridgeline is a great rifle. They offer it with a titanium action for some weight savings.

The next model up is the Traverse which comes with some nice upgrades. A great choice too.

Then the ELR is next. I’m seriously looking at the 6.5 PRC in the ELR for two reasons. 1) the integral 20 moa rail. 2) the 26” barrel. Sell the stock, get a lighter one and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Old Nimrod

Reaction score
Hi guys, I’m new to the LRO site but love what I see so far. I have owned a CA Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC for over a year now which was purchased mainly for hunting here in Western Montana. It has a 20 MOA rail and a Leupold VX5 4-20 scope. This thing is a keeper! When I first got the rifle and broke it in I tried several flavors of bullets from Berger, Hornady, Speer, Nosler, Barnes in different weights...even some factory rounds. It consistently shoots sub MOA but with the Berger 140 VLD Hunting it shoots 1/2 inch groups at 3000FPS with either 59grn of Retumbo or 60grn of Ramshot Magnum. I did not get a chance at an Elk last year (always on private land) but did wack a nice 4x4 Whitetail and the Berger performance was great. I did get the free custom reticle for the VX5 and it is spot on. Attached is a three shot pic at 500yds

Attachments

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
Been lurking on the 6.5 PRC posts for some time now. Had myself talked out of them due to the die/headspace issue you guys have been talking about.

But....couldn’t hold out any longer and figured I would deal with any issues the best I could. I got plenty of bullets to pick from, 50 rounds of once fired brass (picked that up prior reading about the clicking issue) and only 2 boxes of factory 143 ELDX. Bad timing with the availability of ammo and reloading supplies and especially here in Alaska.

None the less the new CA Ridgeline will be ready to rock for a spring goat hunt on Kodiak in February :)

J2shooter

Reaction score
Been lurking on the 6.5 PRC posts for some time now. Had myself talked out of them due to the die/headspace issue you guys have been talking about.

But....couldn’t hold out any longer and figured I would deal with any issues the best I could. I got plenty of bullets to pick from, 50 rounds of once fired brass (picked that up prior reading about the clicking issue) and only 2 boxes of factory 143 ELDX. Bad timing with the availability of ammo and reloading supplies and especially here in Alaska.

None the less the new CA Ridgeline will be ready to rock for a spring goat hunt on Kodiak in February :)

Sweet!

Reaction score
I picked up a CA traverse in 6.5 PRC This fall. I’ve got 44 rounds down the pipe I did a 1035y ladder test I’ve found my powder charge have not done any seating depth test yet (used .010 test). I wanted to recheck my zero so I shot it tonight sent 3 to foul the clean barrel before adjusting anything and those 3 measured .44moa I think it will be a shooter.

Reaction score
I picked up a CA traverse in 6.5 PRC This fall. I’ve got 44 rounds down the pipe I did a 1035y ladder test I’ve found my powder charge have not done any seating depth test yet (used .010 test). I wanted to recheck my zero so I shot it tonight sent 3 to foul the clean barrel before adjusting anything and those 3 measured .44moa I think it will be a shooter.

ADG brass Reloader 26(56.6gr-2957fps) 156gr Berger combo

Last edited:

Ladd

Reaction score

Good for you. The 6.5 PRC is pretty nice. So is the rifle you picked up. Congrats.

Ladd

Reaction score
ADG brass Reloader 26(56.6gr-2957fps) 156gr Berger combo

Nice shooting. I have rounds for my new 6.5 PRC loaded up with RL26 and the 156 gr Berger EOL ready to test. I think it will be a good combo. I was thinking H1000 but then what would I need RL26 for.

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
Good for you. The 6.5 PRC is pretty nice. So is the rifle you picked up. Congrats.

Thanks. Looking forward to working with a new cartridge.

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
Well I’m sold!

Shot number 11-13 through the rifle and #1-3 with 54.0, 54.5 and 55.0 grains of H1000 on the start of my pressure work up testing. Not too shabby over 1.0gr of powder.

All shot on a clean cold bore.
More to come!

Ladd

Reaction score
Well I’m sold!

Shot number 11-13 through the rifle and #1-3 with 54.0, 54.5 and 55.0 grains of H1000 on the start of my pressure work up testing. Not too shabby over 1.0gr of powder.

All shot on a clean cold bore.
More to come!

Nice. Looks like it’s going to be a shooter.

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
Thanks. I have some 156 EOL ordered. Should be here in...oh about May.

Forum Sponsors