Christensen Arms MPR Review, By Ryan Furman

Diverjeff

Reaction score
I only have 3 rifles(2 CA)but my 338LM MPR is definitely my favorite,holds 1/2" groups with 300 gr. Berger factory ammo and recoil isn't all that bad(using a T4 Terminator brake). (y)

Last edited:

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
My first 6.5 PRC was a MPR. I love the rifle. It shoots everything I put it in. I have taken a couple deer with and have zero complaints. The chassis is a solid platform and the magnetic folding stock is a huge plus. Makes for a better pack.

Maroli

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Ryan. Great looking rifle and a good review. I was looking into a CA a year ago and went another direction but still would like to own one some day. I noticed they offer both carbon fiber and ss barreled options. Given your choice for either option in a CA, which one do you lean toward and why? Obviously that one was in cf but have you ever used their ss barrels? There ss profile looked like a slimmer barrel. What are the benefits to either. I understand the weight advantage in hunting applications for the cf barrel but are there things either does better in your experience (cool down, cold bore shots, poi shifts, manage recoil)? Thanks for sharing.

Diverjeff

Reaction score
I went with just the SS on my 338LM and it's definitely slimmer(slimmer than I would have guessed/expected it to be),wasn't sure how it was going to act but does hold 1/2" groups so seems to be fine.Ryan would know which would probably be better to go with though. (y)

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Ryan. Great looking rifle and a good review. I was looking into a CA a year ago and went another direction but still would like to own one some day. I noticed they offer both carbon fiber and ss barreled options. Given your choice for either option in a CA, which one do you lean toward and why? Obviously that one was in cf but have you ever used their ss barrels? There ss profile looked like a slimmer barrel. What are the benefits to either. I understand the weight advantage in hunting applications for the cf barrel but are there things either does better in your experience (cool down, cold bore shots, poi shifts, manage recoil)? Thanks for sharing.
I have not noticed a difference in accuracy but a 26" #4 contour steel barrel weighs near 4lbs while most carbons are 3 lbs and the same length. The carbon also allows a larger brake without looking like an eyesore. With the quality of the carbon barrels I do no see myself going back to steel.

JT_NZ

Reaction score
My MPR in 300NM finally arrived today after many months of waiting down here at the bottom end of the Earth. Initial impressions are mixed:
  • Looks - great.
  • Weight - balance is good. Lighter than expected.
  • Muzzle brake - will test and compare against a Terminator T3 (Greg lives just up the road).
  • Trigger - nice and crisp.
  • Bolt - Could be better, Tikka T3 is smoother.
  • Pistol grip - getting replaced ASAP with a fatter vertical grip. CA could have done a lot better here.
  • Folding stock - nice and secure.
  • Stock adjustability - well thought out. Unlikely to move once set.
I have been very fortunate in being able to find Lapua brass, 245gr EOLs and Fed Gold primers. Also got some AR2217 which was not my first choice but we'll see how it goes. Any suggestions on loads based on this recipe?

Cheers,

JT

Diverjeff

Reaction score
I went through 6 different grips(stock,Hogue,MDT vertical,another MDT I thought had a thumb rest from the pictures[it didn't],Ergo,)until I found one I like which is the "Emperor" from Anarchy Outdoors and does have a great dedicated thumb rest.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I went through 6 different grips(stock,Hogue,MDT vertical,another MDT I thought had a thumb rest from the pictures[it didn't],Ergo,)until I found one I like which is the "Emperor" from Anarchy Outdoors and does have a great dedicated thumb rest.
I swapped my stock grip out for the MPA grip. Not sure if I like it as much as I was hoping. My next one was going to be the adjustable MDT. What did you not like about that one?

I've seen the Emperor one before, but thought it was gimmicky. What do you like about it?

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
My MPR in 300NM finally arrived today after many months of waiting down here at the bottom end of the Earth. Initial impressions are mixed:
  • Looks - great.
  • Weight - balance is good. Lighter than expected.
  • Muzzle brake - will test and compare against a Terminator T3 (Greg lives just up the road).
  • Trigger - nice and crisp.
  • Bolt - Could be better, Tikka T3 is smoother.
  • Pistol grip - getting replaced ASAP with a fatter vertical grip. CA could have done a lot better here.
  • Folding stock - nice and secure.
  • Stock adjustability - well thought out. Unlikely to move once set.
I have been very fortunate in being able to find Lapua brass, 245gr EOLs and Fed Gold primers. Also got some AR2217 which was not my first choice but we'll see how it goes. Any suggestions on loads based on this recipe?

Cheers,

JT
Totally agree with you on the grip!

Diverjeff

Reaction score
I swapped my stock grip out for the MPA grip. Not sure if I like it as much as I was hoping. My next one was going to be the adjustable MDT. What did you not like about that one?

I've seen the Emperor one before, but thought it was gimmicky. What do you like about it?
I thought the adjustable MDT was too chunky and couldn't seem to find a consistent grip hold.The Emperor just feels right,has that lip on the bottom for a pinky rest and the thumb shelf/rest is great,easier to have the same hand placement every time.That's me though,go through $300 worth of grips when any will work. :LOL:

Forum Sponsors