Christensen Arms Elr magazine length

matthew

Reaction score
I have been thinking about picking up a Christensen Arms ELR in 300 RUM for a long range elk rifle but I was wondering if I would be able to seat 210 or 215 gr Bergers out far enough to be about 0.010” off the lands. I also would like to know how far I should be able to take an elk with this rifle.

Sorry if this is not in the right section.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I don't have a ELR 300 RUM mag box and throat here to measure, but maybe someone else will weigh in on that.

But I would like to offer you that if your intended bullet choice is a 210 or 215, you can get very good velocity from a 300 win mag or 300 Nosler chambering. If I am going 300 RUM, and I do like them, I would look at 230 grain bullets and up.

EDIT to add: Any combination I mentioned can take elk beyond 1000 yards with a proper load work up and a well practiced skill set.

Jeff

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Reaction score
They CA rifles I have had had 3.7" mag boxes. I would think you would be pretty limited with a RUM. I agree with Jeff and I will actually say I feel the 300 WM or Nosler would be better choices especially when dealing with limited magazine length.

matthew

Reaction score
What kind of velocities should I expect out of the 300 RUM with 230 and 215 gr Bergers and a 26” barrel? Why do you believe the 230 gr Bergers are superior in the RUM but not a 300 Win Mag? Also would it be possible to get relatively lightweight bottom metal that would increase the col without sending the rifle to a gun smith?

Thanks

Broz

Reaction score
What kind of velocities should I expect out of the 300 RUM with 230 and 215 gr Bergers and a 26” barrel? Why do you believe the 230 gr Bergers are superior in the RUM but not a 300 Win Mag? Also would it be possible to get relatively lightweight bottom metal that would increase the col without sending the rifle to a gun smith?

Thanks
The RUM is large enough to realize the benefits of the added BC of the 230. The 300 win looses too much velocity with the 230 so the 215 shines in the 300 win mag.

I have gotten 3080 with a 230 in a 26" RUM I have not shot the 215 in a RUM for reasons stated, but I would guess 3150 ish.

Yes you can convert to a hinged bottom metal and a Wyatts mag box, but it will require machining.

Jeff

matthew

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to go ahead and try tge CA ELR in 300 rum and see what kind of performance I could get without modification, and if I’m not satisfied then have the Wyatt’s box installed? Thank you for the information, I am new to the big magnums. The largest round I have loaded for so far is a 6.5x55 swedish.

MILEPOST

Reaction score
Is there any reason not to go ahead and try tge CA ELR in 300 rum and see what kind of performance I could get without modification, and if I’m not satisfied then have the Wyatt’s box installed? Thank you for the information, I am new to the big magnums. The largest round I have loaded for so far is a 6.5x55 swedish.
It's important to know that not all Rem clone actions are created equal. Some actions can be modified to handle a 4 inch Wyatt's box and others not. A good example of this is the Defiance long action which an only handle a 3.825" internal length box. I'm not sure if this is the case with CA long actions but important to check into before hand.

rfurman24

Reaction score
Very few can handle the 4.0" and it is a single stack. They do not load as nicely as the 3.850". Just looking at a CA action I would say you will be stuck with a 3.850" at best. I would still take a 30 Nosler or 300 WM over the RUM.

matthew

Reaction score
So if I want a 300 RUM but don’t go with the Christensen, what are some other rifles that are production or semi-custom that have a brake, are relatively lightweight, and have a similar stock design to the ELR?

rfurman24

Reaction score
So if I want a 300 RUM but don’t go with the Christensen, what are some other rifles that are production or semi-custom that have a brake, are relatively lightweight, and have a similar stock design to the ELR?
No other rifle is going to offer an advantage in the magazine department over the CA unless you go with a MOA rifle. They have an action built for 4.0" mags.

Broz

Reaction score
Remember though. The Saami 300 RUM chamber is a free bore chamber with a large jump. So just because you may not be able to mag feed a bullet touching the lands, doen not mean it will not shoot with some jump. The RUM family, like Weatherby was intended to be jumped.

If you want the ELR 300 RUM go for it. Chances are you would be fine.

Jeff

Chippewa

Reaction score
You'll wana go with the biggest fastest once you start loading for your RUM.
I went with the mag length, run-n-gun, idea when I got a Ridgeline RUM using the 212eldx. They shoot great an all an are more than deadly at 3050fps while jumping 0.136".
After reading on LRO awhile it kinda seems silly to have a mag at all when you can single feed bigger, at same speeds, an not have recoil bangin up your nice reloads. Plus it would push us all to be striving for perfect, One shot One kills.

CA carbon is tough to put down once you see it in person.

Bkubi7

Reaction score
Just bought the same gun Chippewa! Currently starting load development for the 212eldx. Would you mind sharing your load data

Chippewa

Reaction score
PhotoPictureResizer_190917_121328256_crop_3412x2982.jpg
If you didn't upgrade to the side port brake yet you might want to. I followed Broz's advice from one of the threads an getting a good spiked bipod plus bag with its tuning ability really helps you find the loads true zero quicker. Plus do the barrel break in steps CA recommends. Also I overbedd with Devcon steel the full action area to 1/2" in front of lug. Clean n lube with good old Pennsylvania Boretech products after each trip tothe range.

Norma brass (fire formed with 85g H1000) stainless tumbled.
.002" shoulder bump back resizing,
and annealed on 3rd reload with Templiaq.
90g H1000 (3050fps at flatlander 300ft elevation here)

Fed215M primers in just factory pockets.

.003"ish neck tension on 212g bullets with rears lubed up with Hornady Unique paste.

One thing to note is primers cratered every shot from my rifle even at starting load workups. Also I bought an early model NXS velocity with 1000y reticle. Which is most accurate for this load for where i'll be hunting. So if you want a little more speed just watch for pressure signs like dual ejector marks. I tried rl25 an got those a few times.

Good luck an safe shootn! Do forget hearing pretection.

Jeremy

Bkubi7

Reaction score
Your just loading at mag length? Im going to try retumbo as its just what I have for right now so I'm gonna give it a shot!

Chippewa

Reaction score
My Ridgeline magwell dim is 3.710". A cartridge length to tip at 3.69" then measured with Hornady OAL gauge at even 3.000" with the 212g eldx. So using the OAL gauge on the rifle gave a very consistant 3.136". Just for myself I then mesure that cartridge to tip an got 3.830". So .136" jump seems long but load seems to work.

LT Cope

Reaction score
My Classic 338LM can run just under 4". I think 3.97" is the max. I currently run standard book-ish length.

Bkubi7

Reaction score
That's what I've got mine seated to as well! Hopefully gonna try to shoot today if this rain stops. Have you done shooting with the 225eldms I bought some of them as well

Chippewa

Reaction score
Also if you try the 225s id load em where ever the shoot best an the heck with mag well. Also if you can try that infamous N570 powder...

Forum Sponsors