Chamber cracking or just scratched???

IdahoN8iv

Reaction score
Hey, guys. So I purchased a CA Ridgeline in 300 prc and right from the beginning it has given me problems with ejecting rounds. I decided to get a bore scope and check out the chamber and to my surprise there is what appears to be a pretty significant scratch or possibly a crack that's starting. I cannot tell. It only has about 200 rounds through it and most of them have been factory rounds, Hornady 212 eldx. I am gonna link a video I took with the borescope and uploaded to my youtube. Let me know if you guys can see it. I am 100% confident that it was not caused by cleaning because I am very careful when I clean my rifle. What are your opinions?

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like a nasty scratch. I would see if I could get it out with a piece of emery cloth in a slotted wooden dowel driven by a drill.

IdahoN8iv

Reaction score
The rifle is brand new basically. I have only owned it for 4 months. I don't know how I would have scratched it, so I am assuming it came from the factory that way. I am probably just going to send it CA and let them deal with it as a warranty item.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
It is not a tooling mark from the chambering process. It is likely caused by something that was inserted into the chamber "like" a cleaning rod. (I know you said you were careful) But I can not think of anything in the build process that would cause this. It for sure is grabbing the brass and would cause extraction issues. I would do as Ryan said and try polishing the chamber. I would start with 400 and go to 600 grit and use diesel fuel or WD 40 and plenty of it while polishing.

IdahoN8iv

Reaction score
I use a plastic patch jag and a carbon fiber cleaning rod. I don't know how that would scratch the chamber like that. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. I will send it to CA and if they don't do anything then I guess I'll be off to home depot in search of some emery cloth and a wooden dowel.

IdahoN8iv

Reaction score
I appreciate your input. Thanks guys. New to the forum and have gotten solid help on every question I have asked. (y)

Nevada Smith

Reaction score
Deja vu all over again:

I hope you have better "luck" than I did:

Response from Christensen Arms:

Thanks for your email. I have shown the video to the senior gunsmith folks here. As they observed the video, they did not see anything that was of a serious enough nature, as to affect accuracy, safety, or the ability to reload the fired cases.

Thanks,
Jeff Bradley
Account Manager / Technical Support

IdahoN8iv

Reaction score
Yikes! Your chamber looks pretty rough. I will get ahold of them tomorrow and let you know what they say.

ytsheephnter

Reaction score
Hey, guys. So I purchased a CA Ridgeline in 300 prc and right from the beginning it has given me problems with ejecting rounds. I decided to get a bore scope and check out the chamber and to my surprise there is what appears to be a pretty significant scratch or possibly a crack that's starting. I cannot tell. It only has about 200 rounds through it and most of them have been factory rounds, Hornady 212 eldx. I am gonna link a video I took with the borescope and uploaded to my youtube. Let me know if you guys can see it. I am 100% confident that it was not caused by cleaning because I am very careful when I clean my rifle. What are your opinions?

I have the exact same looking scratch in my Ridgeline 6.5 PRC. It was there when I bore scoped it prior to first cleaning or firing. It wasn’t marking the 143 x bullets that I have been doing load development with, but was pulling copper off of the 140 Bergers. Took some Iosso paste to it and cleaned it up easily so that it now does not pull copper. Hasn’t seemed to effect anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wnc-coyote

Reaction score
Cleaning rod is not going to make that scratch. There is no sharp corners on a rod that could dig in like that. That was made by something with a fairly fine edge.

Could have even been a bur sticking to a "crater" on the last past with a dull finish reamer. I have seen very similar scratches come from dull reamers.

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
One thing I have learned. With the introduction of the $50 digital bore scopes, and everyone and their sister having one, everything we see is magnified greatly and looks huge. A nose hair off a flea looks like a tree trunk. I think this is causing a lot of alarm where not really needed. I have had way worse imperfections than that in many custom chambers over the years and polished them out to where there was no issue in operation easily. Don't let the bore scopes ruin your day friends. This is an easy fix if you ask me and I am sure it will be fixed by CA.

Wnc-coyote

Reaction score
Agreed. I see this almost daily with the work I do. It would blow most people's mind what a really smooth looking finish looks like under a 40x microscope. Some stuff you cant even see with the naked eye will look like the grand canyon.

I was just simply stating the scratch in his chamber appeared to have more of a sharp bottom to it which could not be made with a round cleaning rod or jag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
I was just simply stating the scratch in his chamber appeared to have more of a sharp bottom to it which could not be made with a round cleaning rod or jag.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I agree. Since the scratch in not straight and nor a rotational scratch I ruled out reamer retrieval or clogged reamer. But I guess the barrel could have rotated at the one point on retrieval, or a reamer blade could have chipped.
I will assume I am not alone as I have had patches get pretty stuck when the patch laps over a jag wrong, and have seen where a jag has scratched a barrel bore. (easily polished out with IOSSO or JB) I also recently replaced a set of nickle coated jags when I noticed the coatings flaking off. But in that area of the chamber, and knowing what we know about the bore scope magnification, this scratch could also have occurred if a machining chip was in the chamber and caused when the fired case was forcefully removed. Not pointing finger at the OP at all, but just wanted to get let him know I really do feel this is an easy fix and not nearly as bad as it looks. A little polishing so it is not grabbing a brass case and the rifle will likely function fine for the normal life expectancy of the barrel.

Wnc-coyote

Reaction score
Very true. I am not sure in production. Barrel clambering, but I know several smiths who insert and remove the reamer while spindle is not rotating.

Similar to how I have to program deep hole drilling with Mitsubishi coolant through carbide drills. Carbide does not like entering a hole while it is spinning.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Very true. I am not sure in production. Barrel clambering, but I know several smiths who insert and remove the reamer while spindle is not rotating.

Similar to how I have to program deep hole drilling with Mitsubishi coolant through carbide drills. Carbide does not like entering a hole while it is spinning.
This is a CA production barrel. Wouldn't they rapid out with the reamer? I understand that a smith doing small or one off items would be doing it slower and maybe by regular lathe. But I would think CA would be pumping these out quick for shorter cycle time? Rapid out over time would save a lot of time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Ladd

Reaction score
This is a CA production barrel. Wouldn't they rapid out with the reamer? I understand that a smith doing small or one off items would be doing it slower and maybe by regular lathe. But I would think CA would be pumping these out quick for shorter cycle time? Rapid out over time would save a lot of time.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
I’ve been in Christensen Arms’s shop. It’s a relatively small metal prefab building in a small town on a campus where their sister companies make other products for the military and healthcare industry. It’s really a few to several machinists working at their stations. They’re a medium sized shop compared to what one would picture in their mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wapitibob

Reaction score
It looks to me like somebody pulled out or pushed in the reamer by hand and the tip of one reamer flute hit the side of the chamber.

Forum Sponsors