Casting projectiles for Long Range and Rifle Suggestions

libertyman777

Reaction score
Hi all,
So before I even head down the rifle rabbit hole, I was wondering how hard is it to cast accurate lead projectiles for long range muzzle loading. Does this vary with caliber? I'm very new to this and would like to get involved in long range black powder shooting.

I also don't know a lot about the rifles. The side locks with the tang mounted sights look cool but I think perhaps something scoped would be in order.

Any advice is welcome.
Thanks,
Paul

Smokepole 61

Reaction score
Hello yes it is possible to cast very good long range bullets. If I can do it u sure can. U will need some things like pot heat source etc. U can go cheap at first. Lyman makes a great little kit. With 20 pound pot. Electric. A good mould will cost u more than the kit. U can start out with cheap lyman mould and practice. If u like it get a good mould. Baco makes the ones I use. Look at u tube r on this forum r others. Fellow goes by Idaho Lewis. Watch him shoot 1200 yards. And yes he makes his bullets. As long as your gun doesn't have one of the bullet guiding r quick loading muzzles u should be fine. A faster twist barrel is a must for truly long range shooting. However I have shot 1&48 twist barrels in 50 cal. To 500. U can't use long bullets and it's picky about what u feed it .can be done though. I've done it with 460 grain no excuse bullets and a tc renegade. 50 with 1&48 twist also there old long range hunter barrel. It's fast twist. Lost of custom barrels available. Just about any type of muzzleloader will shoot lead with the proper powder charge it likes. Soft bullets around 1200 to 1350 fish r the easiest to get to shoot for beginners usually. U can run lead much faster but that's more for experienced caster in my humble opinion. Get the things for beginners and have fun. In a couple years you'll be casting and shooting great probably. Just takes time and practice. I don't suggest bullet guiding muzzles r quick load muzzles for this. I pull my hair out with them lol.

Smokepole 61

Reaction score
I have a knight mountaineer with one of jeff Fisk full custom ignition systems on it that I shoot nothing but cast lead bullets out of. 500 yards is no big deal for this rifle r thou I don't consider that long range. To me long range muzzleloader shooting starts at 600 extreme long range is 1200 plus. 500 is just midrange but a heck of a poke.

Smokepole 61

Reaction score
I have a knight mountaineer with one of jeff Fisk full custom ignition systems on it that I shoot nothing but cast lead bullets out of. 500 yards is no big deal for this rifle r thou I don't consider that long range. To me long range muzzleloader shooting starts at 600 extreme long range is 1200 plus. 500 is just midrange but a heck of a poke.
Finally figured out how to get a bullet guiding muzzle to shoot cast lead grease groove bullets. I just covered the grooves up. Paper patched them. R u can use a long wad column. 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Long. Alot of shooters will tell you one wad and 20 lbs of loading pressure is what works best in a rifle. However it is my experience that there are alot of different muzzle loading long range rifles out there. Side locks under hammers break actions rolling blocks bolt guns etc. And what works in some just doesn't in others. I had a hec of a time trying to get bgm are qlm to shoot some conical type bullets. And a few jacketed ones. I just didn't try a long wad column. Why didn't I? Well because I was told it does nothing. Lol. Trust me it does in some rifles. It drives nails now. You can use multiple wads or just one 1/2 inch long c wad .46 caliber for a 45/70 ordered from track of the wolf. I started with one .460 .060 thick veggie and wool stacked on top. When I got to 4 wools on a vegetable fiber in all came together. Success. Lol. Then thought hmmm kinda a pain in butt. All those wads. So went to 1/2 inch c wad for a 45/70 Farmingdale new York sharps rifle I use to own. Works great. In my Paramount. So don't let a bullet guiding muzzle.scare you off from buying one. Just takes trying alittle out of the box thinking sometimes.

Forum Sponsors