California Bruin Down

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Quality time with my daughter, glassed up a Big Boar and closed the deal. Painful pack out, but we’re back home and will be firing up the smoker in the next few days.
d787e6a2014ea3224c7ac5df753e008b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Congrats on the quality time with your daughter…..and the bear.
Haven’t done bear hunting yet as nobody had fed me what I consider “good” bear. Is the smoker the trick to push me over the edge to eat what I hunt?

RBanta66

Reaction score
Nice bear, looks like a pretty nasty Rocky area. Home with no broken bones, that's even better!! Tips on how you prep the meat for the table would be nice. Congrats on a successful hunt with family!

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Haven’t done bear hunting yet as nobody had fed me what I consider “good” bear. Is the smoker the trick to push me over the edge to eat what I hunt?

I make smoked sausage out of my bears. Can’t beat it.

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Smoked Jalapeño and Cheese Polish
Texas Hotlinks
Traditional Coney Island Hot Dogs

Are the usuals. Usually will make a corned roast as well.

longrangehunter

Reaction score
Nice bear, looks like a pretty nasty Rocky area. Home with no broken bones, that's even better!! Tips on how you prep the meat for the table would be nice. Congrats on a successful hunt with family!
Bear meat is very good and as good as beef if well taken care of. The trick is to soak the meat prior to cooking in cold water and keep changing the water until most of the blood come out. I usually change the water about five times in an hour and it should be ready for cooking. I cook it the same as a Chuck Roast, on the stove top with lots of onions in the bottom of the pan in about a 1/4" of water. Seasoned of course to your liking, cook long and slow until tender. It will taste like Beef roast when done.

MPayne

Reaction score
Great bear glad to see you're taking you daughter with you.

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score

Nasty Rocky area. I got pretty banged up getting him out, but it was well worth it. Hope to get him scored soon

BackCountryMeats

Reaction score
Congrats on your bear! Thing is huge compared to your daughter!

What a great father and daughter time! Thanks for sharing.

My daughter said the same thing when we got down to him. She had me triple check he wouldn’t get back up before she got down to him

RBanta66

Reaction score
She has been a great hunting partner. Always wants to go, and enjoys every part of the hunt.

Sounds like you have a hunting partner for life! That's great she is taking to it like that. You must be doing something right, whatever it is keep it up!!

RBanta66

Reaction score
Hey as long as she is with you and having fun, that's really what matters most. The first time she spooks a animal and loses a opportunity she'll get it figured out.

DEW

Reaction score
Congrats on an awesome bear. Great that your daughter is involved and enjoys it 👍👍👍

Forum Sponsors