Cabin Tent ??

BigBuck

Reaction score
I was wondering if some of you guys use a Millitary style Cabin tent ? I was thinking about planning a hunting trip to Colorado and would like a large heavy duty (leak proof) Cabin tent that I could mount a small home made wood heater inside . What brand would you recommend and where can I get one ? Thanks for looking.....

MontanaMarine

Reaction score
I've got one from Davis Tent and Awning,

http://www.davistent.com/index.cfm?id=3a267423-0adf-4bec-abfbf39f4e7a5444

Montana Canvas is another reputable tent maker,

http://www.montanacanvas.com/

You can usually get quite a few standard options regarding doors, windows stove jacks, and more, or you could have one stitched up to your specs.

You might find a good deal on a used tent on Craigslist or other classifieds.

We went with a package deal from Davis, a 12'x14' with a stove kit, floor, fly, on one of their monthly specials. It makes a nice home away from home.

BobT

Reaction score
I have a 14x16 from the Wall Tent Shop,

http://www.walltentshop.com/canvaswalltents.htm

It's a great tent and has some really good features and options. A military GP small tent makes a good one too, they are a round tent about 17 feet across. I don't know where you are located but I have a GP small I would part with really cheap if you wanted to come to Missouri to get it.

Bob

BigBuck

Reaction score
Thanks Shane & Bob this is exactly what I needed to see . The pics are awesome ! Did you guys buy your stoves or make them yourselves ?

MontanaMarine

Reaction score
Our stove is from Davis, it was part of the package. Included nesting stovepipe, damper, spark arrestor, warming tray, and a water tank. The legs screw off, and all the part of the stove/pipe can be packed into the firebox, for stowage and transport.

We also went with an internal metal frame. Davis sent the angles, and I bought 1" EMT at a local hardware store and cut to needed length. Davis included a cut sheet with all the piece length needed for the frame. Davis will sell the tubing already cut, but they suggest buying locally to save some shipping.

Last edited:

ELRS

Reaction score
X2 for Davis Tent Co. "Montanamarine" your picture look like my camp:) I have a 12x14 & 14x16 . One is cook shack and gathering place and other for my family.
Davis tent has many options. We have heavy duty , zippered , front storm doors, internal frames, zippered side windows, and heavy duty floors in each. Davis stoves are slick. We take a bag of coal and keeps stove going all night.
Couple other things we do is get those sample carpets from store and put by our cots. No cold floors. We bought a Cabelas shit house as well. First person up fires up the one burner stove in it.
Check out Cabelas foldup kitchen. Great way to organize and keep tidy kitcken . can hang lanterns from it as well.

Ray

ELRS

Reaction score
Almost forgot, we really like the awning option as well. Makes for a pretty dry outside storage and place to take boots off, keep coolers and firewood.

Pyroducksx3

LRO Product Review Editor
Reaction score
I did the trailer thing for a couple years then tried a wall tent. Wont ever use a trailer again for hunting. The wall tents are a great option.

BigBuck

Reaction score
Great Info guys . Would you fellas prefer the sewn in tent floor or just use the carpet by the cot ? Thanks for all the replies.

BobT

Reaction score
Thanks Shane & Bob this is exactly what I needed to see . The pics are awesome ! Did you guys buy your stoves or make them yourselves ?

My stove is homemade basically a box with a smoke shelf it works pretty well but I'm working on a new design hopefully a little lighter to carry.
002.jpg
Both the wall tent and the GP small at deer camp a couple of years ago.

Bob

bigngreen

Reaction score
I have a 12x14 Wall Tent Shop and the quality is good, have a full awning and it really makes it nice hunting since you can set up under it and not drag everything into the tent especially in snows you still have a nice place to keep the weather of. I would definitely recommend having a door on both ends, you get a hot day and you can get good air flow through the tent so you don't have to wait for it to cool down. I ordered it with heavy semi type tarpaulin floor, then my sod cloth goes down and then a heavy canvas tarpaulin goes down, it's air tight keeps the elements out very well. Had the Colorado doors, reinforced ridge and ridge socks, all corners have extra material, it's about as deluxe as a tent can be made and it was well worth it IMO. I have not needed a stove inside with it but just use a small heater to take the edge of in the morning though I'm getting much softer now so I think one of those multi fuel stoves would be the ticket, let it simmer all night with no kicking wood to the stove and going from sweating to shivering every two hours.:)

Bear Camp

Reaction score
Lots of good stuff here. If I may, I would like to add to it. In no particular order.

If your hunting in warmer weather you can get away with a smaller sized tent for a given amount of hunters. When it gets latter in the year, say November white tail rut hunt, you will need more room than the earlier hunt for the same number of hunters. You will have more gear that may need to be dried out and such. A empty wall tent "looks" big till you start filling it up! For a early season hunt in warm weather we have had 4-5 people in a 12x14. Its cramped but we only sleep in it. The conversations and dinner are out side around the camp fire till its time for bed. In late November we have 2 maybe 3 people max. Remember you will be in the tent from dark (4:30pm) to bed. So room is much needed.

I have a Montana canvas and I have had great luck with it. I also like the internal metal frames they recommend. I got mine when I bought the tent.

I prefer NOT to have the floor sewn in. It makes it more difficult to clean afterwards. I much prefer to use an outdoor carpet with the rubberized bottom to it. I think I picked it up at Lowes for $100. Its easy to hose off in the driveway when you get home. I have used it for about 6-7 years now.

I 2nd or 3rd the Cabela's kitchen. Very organized when space is needed. I also picked up some of there cupboards that hang on the internal frame.

Last edited:

MontanaMarine

Reaction score
We have the separate floor tarp. I would think a sewn in floor would be a PITA on a large tent. Just too much fabric to wrestle around.

MontanaMarine

Reaction score
Another general tip,

I took some old steel fence posts, and cut them into 2-foot lengths and pointed one end. Driven in about 18" or so, they make a much more substantial stake for the guy ropes than the 12" 'nails' that came with ours.

The nail stakes are good for staking in the bottom of the walls though.

BigBuck

Reaction score
Great pics Bear Camp that's what its all about ! Nice stakes Montana Marine. Someone one mentioned the outdoor carpet and that is a very good ideah as well. This thread is going to be a great read for many I am sure . Bigngreen wouldn't the multy fuel be kind of dangerouse in a tent ? is this a heater or cook stove ?

TexasFrog

Reaction score
I prefer one with a floor for two reasons... its either cold and snowing or I’m down south and don’t like snakes and scorpions in my tent...

Shphtr

Reaction score
334c712d-026c-4324-b16e-9a12d10588c8

Forum Sponsors