Building a Custom Rifle Series by Ryan Furman

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
This is our discussion thread for the series Ryan will be doing on Building a custom rifle. In Series 1, Ryan covers needed components for a custom build. Start a discussion here to help Ryan know what you need covered in further episodes, or discuss the current episodes.

To watch Episode 1, GO HERE

yjMcd1598542293.jpg

Last edited:

Ladd

Reaction score
This may not be the place but what do you think about ordering a barreled action then finishing a build that way? I've been thinking about doing just that by ordering one with the Lone Peak Fuzion action from Blue Mountain Precision.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it’s a great option. I’m also loving the prefits for actions like the Defiance Ruckus and Terminus actions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Drzjoint

Reaction score
Great info. I’m curious why you wouldn’t go terminus or Curtis with the switch lug already built in? Switch lug looks like it’s one of the more economical ways to build a gun for a first timer? With less smith work?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Great info. I’m curious why you wouldn’t go terminus or Curtis with the switch lug already built in? Switch lug looks like it’s one of the more economical ways to build a gun for a first timer? With less smith work?
Those actions are heavy and if I am not mistaken short action only. I do not see myself personally ever building a short action hunting rifle. I just don't understand short actions outside of benchrest and varmint rifles. The second reason is there is no longer an advantage. With manufacturers getting their machining down to the point where .001 headspace can be guaranteed and the threads are even clocked, it is just as easy to clamp the barrel in a vise and spin it off. Third a good gunsmith can keep specs on your rifles action if it is not a guaranteed headspaced action and spin more barrels up later.

Good prefits cost the same as a barrel installed by a smith that is not gouging you. The only real advantage is typically less wait for the barrel and no time without your action/rifle.

PAXMAN

Reaction score
But gunsmiths should be doing higher quality chamber jobs than pre fit guys. Don’t see many videos of chambers from them. I’ll never buy a prefit. It’s how gunsmiths makes most there money. Chamber jobs.

Bmw4z84

Reaction score
I just found the new YouTube video and I’m excited because I was just thinking about Customizing a rifle. I have never built a rifle, have only hunted with stock firearms, and don’t know much about long range shooting. I inherited a Rem 700 In 300winmag with 12 boxes of ammo, and wanted to turn it into a Budget friendly lightweight long range gun for hunting in Alaska where I live.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
But gunsmiths should be doing higher quality chamber jobs than pre fit guys. Don’t see many videos of chambers from them. I’ll never buy a prefit. It’s how gunsmiths makes most there money. Chamber jobs.
What does prefit mean to you? I feel like you don't know what a 2020 prefit is. Many very well known and high quality gunsmiths are chambering "prefits." Prefit simply means it is ready to go when it arrives to you without having an action in hand. It never has, nor should it, implied sloppy. Chambering a barrel to the highest standard does not require an action if the action is of the same quality. I could not care less if you don't buy a "prefit" but I will tell you you are completely wrong about your idea of a prefit plain and simple. I would actually say the exact opposite of what you are saying. The best gunsmiths can give you a prefit that will be as good or better than most gunsmiths can turn out with an action in their hand. A prime example is the last barrels I had chambered for a Fierce titanium action. My gunsmith noted the specs that he took off the action to later chamber more barrels for that action. Terminus actions, a few Defiance actions, Bighorn actions, etc. have guaranteed head space with public barrel tenon specs. You do NOT need an action in hand to chamber and thread a barrel. What you do with the barrel or how you do it only has to do with your quality as a machinist and nothing to do with having an action in hand.

PAXMAN

Reaction score
I was referring to companies like proof doing pre fits. Or other companies that only do prefits on CNC machines. I completely agree that gunsmiths make prefits for your rifle are great. I have had that done on multiple rifles.

Willidru

Reaction score
If you have a quality action with guaranteed headspace and have a barrel threaded and chambered to its specs. Are the gunwerks stocks with bedding blocks the best/only option to go with if you don’t have the experience to inlet stock or bed the action?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
I was referring to companies like proof doing pre fits. Or other companies that only do prefits on CNC machines. I completely agree that gunsmiths make prefits for your rifle are great. I have had that done on multiple rifles.
With that I would say we are mostly on the same page. I will give some more food for thought. If you trust Proof to make a barrel why not trust them to chamber it?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
If you have a quality action with guaranteed headspace and have a barrel threaded and chambered to its specs. Are the gunwerks stocks with bedding blocks the best/only option to go with if you don’t have the experience to inlet stock or bed the action?

I do love the Gunwerks stocks and I do think their bedding system is at the top of the list but they are not the only option. McMillan stocks have a very tight tolerance on the inletting which does not require bedding. There are many factors to consider while choosing a stock. I would say if we were just talking about bedding I feel the Gunwerks actions with their stocks, their recoil lug setup, and bedding block are number one if you are not wanting to glass bed. I have had good accuracy out of non bedded McMillans but still prefer to bed them. I feel like most of the accuracy comes from bedding the recoil lug which is very simple to do.

Welcome to the forum!

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
Bedding does not always improve a rifles accuracy. What it does improve is its consistency. Every time you remove/install the action from the stock, a good bed job will ensure that the action is put back into the same spot.

Going forward with this Ryan, I think you should point out what one gets by going with a custom barrel over a factory one. Even compare cost of buying a factory rifle, then having the barrel replaced, adding a new trigger and stock. I think for first timers this may clear up any misinformation.

fraz01

Reaction score
Never dealt with a pre fit. Is there a positive stop system vs using go and no-go gauges to set head space? Should be an interesting series.

Willidru

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance if this way off base, but this series interest me because I like to DIY a lot, love to learn new sh*t, and save $$.

In the video you mentioned Rbros who basically builds lasers. Their carbon hunter is like $4750.

If I DIY it I came up with:
Defiance Ruckus $1280
Gunwerks Mangnus $1300
Proof Prefit $940
Jewel trigger $200
APA little bastard $150
Bdl $125
All in in parts I’m at $3965

Obviously if I shop around for sales I could buy over time and get a little better deals. But my overall question is - will I be able to produce a similar quality product to an Rbros for the $785 savings? Is the allure more to the pride in DIY or the ability to switch barrels?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Bedding does not always improve a rifles accuracy. What it does improve is its consistency. Every time you remove/install the action from the stock, a good bed job will ensure that the action is put back into the same spot.

Going forward with this Ryan, I think you should point out what one gets by going with a custom barrel over a factory one. Even compare cost of buying a factory rifle, then having the barrel replaced, adding a new trigger and stock. I think for first timers this may clear up any misinformation.

Thanks! That was planned and I will be discussing that exact topic.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance if this way off base, but this series interest me because I like to DIY a lot, love to learn new sh*t, and save $$.

In the video you mentioned Rbros who basically builds lasers. Their carbon hunter is like $4750.

If I DIY it I came up with:
Defiance Ruckus $1280
Gunwerks Mangnus $1300
Proof Prefit $940
Jewel trigger $200
APA little bastard $150
Bdl $125
All in in parts I’m at $3965

Obviously if I shop around for sales I could buy over time and get a little better deals. But my overall question is - will I be able to produce a similar quality product to an Rbros for the $785 savings? Is the allure more to the pride in DIY or the ability to switch barrels?

This will be discussed in further detail the simple answer is yes. The difference is when companies like Rbros, Gunwerks, Axial Precision, Red Rock Precision just to name a few put together a rifle you don't really need to do any serious load development if any at all. It is ready to kill as long as you are capable and get acquainted with the rifle setup. With the mentioned companies you are not just paying for parts and labor you are paying for a known to work system. No guess work. Over half of the questions we get about a custom rifle not shooting are due to loose scope mounting systems and lack of good load development or reloading skills. Another piece of the puzzle is how important reamer design is. I feel it is often overlooked. Many of these "high" dollar companies spent the time and money to figure that out. It is not the same as you ordering parts and having them put together with some random reamer. Many gunsmiths really still don't understand the importance of freebore let alone reamer design.

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Never dealt with a pre fit. Is there a positive stop system vs using go and no-go gauges to set head space? Should be an interesting series.

I would guess most prefits being sold today are shouldered. The headspace is set. That is why guaranteed headspace actions are so important. With a Ruckus, Terminus, or Bighorn just to name a few head space is guaranteed and you literally just screw the prefit on and shoot.

Ironworker

Reaction score
Just logged into the custom rifle builders web pages. Seams like RBros rifles are the lowest price ,why is that ?

PAXMAN

Reaction score
Not much overhead. He builds a very nice rifle. At a price I typically pay for Alex Wheeler to build mine. Dallas Land is about the same. Have no idea why people would spend much more than that on a custom.

Cleg

Reaction score
Preffered barrels out of utah makes prefit barrels with pre cut shoulders for Tikka, bighorn. Etc.. headspace is preset from known dimensions of barrels and actions. I believe few other doing same as well.

Ironworker

Reaction score
Preffered barrels out of utah makes prefit barrels with pre cut shoulders for Tikka, bighorn. Etc.. headspace is preset from known dimensions of barrels and actions. I believe few other doing same as well.
But their button rifled bbls ?

CharlieNC

Reaction score
Regarding prefit barrels, several associates and myself have shot NRA records in Fclass using CBI prefit barrels which we installed ourselves using a barrel nut. Using a borescope the workmanship of the chamber is excellent, as is the quality of the barrel itself. Why would you think a respected company which can machine a quality tube could not also provide a quality chamber?

Forum Sponsors