Breaking in mistake??

Pfordahl

Reaction score
Got a question for the experts. This is my first Christiansen arms rifle and I bought the .308. I shot it yesterday for the first time. Well I got home and saw that they recommend a break in for the barrel ( not sure how I missed that đŸ˜£đŸ¤¬). I have 40 rounds through it. Is there damage done or can I clean it and then go through the steps???

Thanks for the help!!

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
I don't think there is damage done. Itll just take more work to clean it good. Before you shoot it again get as much copper out of the barrel that you can. You'll see copper build up at the muzzle end of the barrel.

Pfordahl

Reaction score
Ok thank you!! I will do a good thorough cleaning!!!

waveslayer

Reaction score
You will be totally fine!!!! Shoot it until the groups open up and then clean it. There is no such thing as barrel break in.

Guys will argue that you need to read in your barrel. In fact you helped it!!! You took out the burrs, filled in the gaps with carbon and copper!!! Well done, now shoot the crap out of it!

No need to clean, shoot clean, shoot. Total waste, it's a CA. Shoot it and clean of your groups open up.

More guys damage their barrels from cleaning or over clean. Ever wonder why guys have DOPE on Clean Cold Bore. It's not the cold Bore shot... it's the Clean part that is overlooked! You need to foul it out to get it to shoot good again.

So don't worry you didn't hurt it.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I would clean to bare metal and then shoot some 3 shot groups cleaning between now. Then you should be fine. Most of the initial break in is done in the first 12 to 15 rounds. But you may be covering things that you want to season in slowly by not doing proper break in. Then expect a velocity speed up after 100 to 150 rounds as the break in is over and the bore seasons. CA barrels are NOT hand lapped, this makes break in even more important. But I think you will be completely fine if you follow my suggestions here.
Jeff

Proud Vet

Reaction score
You may need a copper solvent you wont find at the local Walmart.

Like Broz said, their barrels are not hand lapped and break in takes a bit longer. When your
first cold bore cleaning shot starts getting closer and closer to your 3 shot groups with like ammo
you are getting there.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I have stopped "breaking in" barrels. I just do load development and shoot it. Do not fall in love with a load as it will change with the barrel speed up.
yJVah14l.jpg

UpSs2zSl.jpg

ZsbtdYVl.jpg

RkHueB1l.jpg

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
Ryan, does this hold true with you on NON hand lapped barrels? Such as the CA barrels?
I have seen plenty CA barrels shoot tight before break in was done or completed. What the break in does is smooth micro machine marks and burs from the reamer, then it burnishes the barrel bore finish. Then there is the slight move forward of the throat angle and the light fire cracking that will occur in the first 50 to 150 rounds before that stabilizes. I believe the burnishing of the finish in the bore, and then some of the fire cracking leads to the speed up. But the bottom line is, things are changing in there. The best we can hope for is a longer period where the load still shoots well. But a good practice would be to measure vertical of a group at 600 yds plus every 100 rounds or so to insure the load is still solid and acceptable. If not, a small tweek in charge weight may be in order.

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
Ryan, does this hold true with you on NON hand lapped barrels? Such as the CA barrels?
Those groups are CA barrels. Yes, I have stopped "breaking" in barrels. The big name barrel makers that suggest break in used to claim you were getting the metal chips/burs, that may have been left from the reamer which would be coated onto the barrel as cooled plasma, out of the barrel. I have recorded hundreds of rounds with and without break in. I see no difference in the accuracy, how long a given cartridge/powder combo will stay in tune, or how quickly they clean. I will not waste my time and components with it anymore.

Pfordahl

Reaction score
You may need a copper solvent you wont find at the local Walmart.

Like Broz said, their barrels are not hand lapped and break in takes a bit longer. When your
first cold bore cleaning shot starts getting closer and closer to your 3 shot groups with like ammo
you are getting there.

Got some coming in this weekend :)
Thanks for advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pfordahl

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the feedback!! I am new to this game ( normally shoot ar15s). All this was great info and knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Sponsors