Bino chest harness decision...

jmden

Reaction score
What bino chest harness for backpack, backcountry hunts? Has to fit Swaro EL Range 10x42s and SIG KILO 2000 RF, wind checker, etc.

I'm an ounce counter and don't even like the idea of a bino chest harness because of the extra weight of it, so am looking for very function and lightweight. Babying the binos or rf is not my highest priority, but I want to make sure I'm well informed before making this decision.

Thanks guys!

jmden

Reaction score
Prob looking more at the original Kuiu version more than anything else at this point. Just less weight and bulk than many others, I think.

El Matador

Reaction score
I use the AGC Kodiak C.U.B. max. It fits my 10x42s nicely and has pockets for rangefinder and wind meter. Also some side pockets for extra shells, headlamp, or whatever. It's probably not the lightest or sleekest thing out there but it's the best I've seen for carrying accessories.

whatnext

Reaction score
I use the Sitka Bino Bivy 12-15x for my Leica HD-B 2200, which I think is comparable size to your Swaros. There are pockets on both sides for wind checker and Kestrel. There are 2 internal side pockets and I keep a lens pen in one. Your not going to fit a Kilo in it though. The case is very protective and easy to use, the straps are light weight and breathable. I wear the harness with 3 different Mystery Ranch packs with no interference and can’t imagine not wearing it.

I originally tried the 8-10x model but I couldn’t keep the lid closed with just the magnet without screwing the eye ups all the way down. The Leicas are 7” with the eye cups out where I like them and there’s another 1.5” space to the lid. Maybe look at an accessory pouch for your pack to carry the Kilo?

Ladd

Reaction score
I 2nd the Sitka Bino Bivy. I have them and the Kuiu and prefer the Sitka.

aron.fisk

Reaction score
I like Marsupial Gear and Outdoor Vision. I prefer the Marsupial as it is a tad more streamlined and It is easier to run with the lid open when you are on the last bit of a stalk. Downside to the Marsupial is that it isn't full coverage so it allows for dust and debris in. The owner did mention that a full coverage harness is in the works if you aren't in a hurry to get one. Both great companies and awesome customer service.

jmden

Reaction score
I 2nd the Sitka Bino Bivy. I have them and the Kuiu and prefer the Sitka.
You guys that have had both of these...care to elaborate on why you like one over the other?

MTN Wonderer

Reaction score
jmden, I am surprised no one has mentioned the FHF gear harness. It is pretty much exactly what you have requested.

Ladd

Reaction score
You guys that have had both of these...care to elaborate on why you like one over the other?
I like grabbing the binos out of the Sitka with one hand. I don't like bino straps so my binos just ride in there without. The flap works as a good shelf to put my glasses in while I look through the binos.

aron.fisk

Reaction score
jmden, I am surprised no one has mentioned the FHF gear harness. It is pretty much exactly what you have requested.

I had the FHF gear and didn't care for the lid opening towards my chest which is why I switched to Marsupial. There are pros and cons to every harness out their but lucky for us, there are now choices.

DropTines

Reaction score
I baby my Swaros so I ended up with the Alaska Guide Creations as a back country hunter. In addition the extra pockets for phone scope, Kestrel, wind checker, chap stick, Outdoorsman Tripp’s adaptor, phone was all worth having at my finger tips.

Otherwise the new Kuiu harness would be what you’re after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J2shooter

Reaction score
I have been running the Alaska Guide creations for a few years now and I have been happy with it.

I'm running the hybrid which will fit 10x42s

*Front zipper pocket holds my range finder
And there's a nice webbing loop right by the zipper closure to tether the range finder.

*Two side mesh (saves a few grams over side zipper option) pockets with the opening shock corded. I run the wind checker in one side and the ultralight rain fly in the other side.

*Back zipper pocket holds license and a few rounds of ammo.

*Shock cord / hook closure for main compartment is dead silent and easy to get to without looking. The silent part won't always matter but it only needs to matter once to be a huge deal. Some packs are made with magnet closure that can snap and the AGC design is superior to that IMO.

*Bino straps have quick disconnect mini kydex buckles that are really nice for being able to run disconnected if you need to.

*One reason I went AGC is because of the fully enclosed bino compartment and the protection against dirt / debris that it offers. I wanted the lenses to stay clean for as long as possible with whatever bushwhacking / low crawling situation I might find myself in.
they do really well at this.
That's not to do with protection. It's all about a better chance that the glass is clean and visibility is good when you need it.

The hybrid pack and I believe all other packs are compatible with a separate range finder pouch that some users prefer due to better ergonomics for deploying range finder. It uses the same fully enclosed design with shock cord / hook closure top flap and just rides beside the main pack.

I make it work with the front zipper pocket holding the rangefinder but the side pouch is probably a better way to do it.

Hope that helps.

J300UM

Reaction score
I've had the AGC, FHF, and now the Marsupial. I have no intentions of going away from my current setup. I don't care for a bunch of junk hanging off of me when I'm hunting. It's got a nice low profile that doesn't interfere with anything when I bow hunting and I can even lay behind the rifle with it (of coarse it comes off if I have time). I like the way the lid opens forward as well.

Triple BB

Reaction score
I'm using an Alaskan Creations with the front pouch. I carry Swaro 10x42's plus a Sig ABS rangefinder. No complaints...

Reaction score
Love my muley freak harness! Super super comfortable. They just came out the range finder pouch as well, maybe a touch smaller than I would’ve built it but the 2000 should fit.

ABC1000

Reaction score
I’ve all but given up on archery with a torn labrum I’m waiting to see if it heals... but have always loved the Kuiu harness. I upgraded 2019 for the new version which is more protective in sandy/dirty environments but think it would perform for archery as well as the older version. I carry swaro 10x42 SLCs and just retired the Kilo 2,000 for the new vortex 4,000 which I absolutely love. I ranged two cuddling coyotes at 3,327 yards (w/o using the ELR function even) on my December elk hunt twice! It’s bigger than the kilo 2000 but I used it w it most of last year and the older version for years. I absolutely love that system but I admit I’m all in on Kuiu’s system.

Lancetkenyon

Reaction score
I have tried 8 or 9 different bino chest harnesses. I am currently using a Marsupial. I like it better than any others I have used. Fit, comfort, weight, usability.

CCooper

Reaction score
Not sure of your stature, but I prefer FHF to others I’ve tried due to low profile. The abc was too deep, being a little chubby with a short draw It was not natural picking up my loop with my release, always felt like I had to extend my arms un-naturally. Definitely prefer my current setup with the r/f on a side pouch With the FHF. The guys there were awesome to work with and custom made a harness pouch for my SLC’s because I complained it was too tight for one handed operation. Hunting partnered like outdoor vision a lot, but I haven’t tried one.

jmden

Reaction score
Thanks for the insights, guys. Keep 'em coming!

sjak

Reaction score
For what its worth ive had both of the kuiu bino holders and they are great. The new version is definitely a step up in the way they are made. I am running the same Swaro EL Range 10x42 and if you do decide to go with kuiu they will just fit in the large size harness which is nice. Snug fit. I think the XL would be to big for me but you would be able to carry additional items as some guys have talked about.

jmden

Reaction score
OK. Thanks!

Greyfox

Reaction score
I used the Kuiu this past season and it worked very well. Light, compact, and very convenient the use.

Brendan

Reaction score
Beware of any that use magnetic clasps. I've had them affect compass readings, including the one in my phone if you're not careful to extend your arms away from your body.

I like the AGC Kodiak Cub for up to 10x42 and my Sig kilo, but it is more bulky than some like.

I am now trying Adak, which has promise, but the jury is still out. They are supposed to be coming out with additional pockets for it this year.

jmden

Reaction score
Good point on the magnets. Thanks.

450Dakota

Reaction score
Went with Alaska Guide Creations because I didn't want magnets. I would buy again if something happened to it.

Benny1975

Reaction score
For archery I've found that the ultra lite bino harness from rugged maps, otherwise in run Alaskan guide creations. They don't look like they will get the job done but I'm beyond happy with the ultra lite harness

ARK2021

Reaction score
Alaska Guide Creations for all the reasons listed above.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I have several and just could not warm up to the AGC. Way too bulky for me especially when prone. I keep switching back and forth to the new KUIU and the FHF. Both very nice.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I have several and just could not warm up to the AGC. Way too bulky for me especially when prone. I keep switching back and forth to the new KUIU and the FHF. Both very nice.
Broz, any preference between these two? I like both from what in an see. Have you used them while now hunting? Do they get in the way at all?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Broz

Reaction score
Broz, any preference between these two? I like both from what in an see. Have you used them while now hunting? Do they get in the way at all?

If you run the zippered box that velcro's on the KUIU if is there and a little stiff prone, but it has not stopprd me from making a shot. In this aspect, the FHF is more comfortable. But I like the lid on the KUIU better. I often change bino's and re adjusting the latch on the FHF gets old.

Mggs

Reaction score
I switched from kuiu to Marsupial gear. Great product

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
If you run the zippered box that velcro's on the KUIU if is there and a little stiff prone, but it has not stopprd me from making a shot. In this aspect, the FHF is more comfortable. But I like the lid on the KUIU better. I often change bino's and re adjusting the latch on the FHF gets old.
Broz, sorry. Damn auto correct on my phone messed my message up. I meant to ask if you have used them BOW hunting, if they got in the way.

Also, if you only had one set of binos, the FHF would be your go to? Is that how I understood your response?

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Broz, not sure if you were able to see my post from earlier. Let me know if you have experience bow hunting with them.

Brendan

Reaction score
I'm still a fan of the AGC (Bowhunting included). I've been running the Marsupial this year which I love, except for the magnets which are a pain.

300 Rick

Reaction score
I have the old kuiu and the new kuiu.
the Old style is easer to take off and smaller lighter
Downside of the old style is the harness falls down to waist when using binocular.
it also isn’t waterproof it comes with a bag To cover the case. Not that much of a deal if It is raining I’ll cover them on the in side of my rain jacket.
The new one is water proof and a little more dust proof. It stays put on my chest. My negative opinion of the newer one is it is bigger I can squeeze 15x56 in it. It is little more difficult to take off because of the design. None of these really is a big deal just like everything else just depends on what you want out of the product. i think for me the new one even being Bigger is the harness I prefer

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
For those that own the Kuiu, do you like the cover opening up the opposite way than "traditional" ones?

Broz

Reaction score
For those that own the Kuiu, do you like the cover opening up the opposite way than "traditional" ones?

Yes, I prefer it opens away from me and stays open until I choose to close it. Plus if I go prone in snow I get less snow in as the opening is close to my chest not on the ground.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Yes, I prefer it opens away from me and stays open until I choose to close it. Plus if I go prone in snow I get less snow in as the opening is close to my chest not on the ground.
Thanks for the feedback Broz. It looks as if the Kuiu fully covers (or closes) and leaves no room for dirt or snow to get it. Is that correct observation, or did I just not see the pictures right?

Broz

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback Broz. It looks as if the Kuiu fully covers (or closes) and leaves no room for dirt or snow to get it. Is that correct observation, or did I just not see the pictures right?

Yes this is correct. Covers sides and top and overlaps all the way around. Some, like the FHF are open on the sides even when closed tightly

Forum Sponsors