Big Sky ELR Rimfire Challenge, ELR RimFire Event

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
We at LRO and ELR Central have been working on this for a while. Last night we got the go ahead, with a unanimous vote at the Broadwater Rod and Gun Club board meeting, here in Townsend Montana, to hold the first ELRC / LRO ELR 22 Rim Fire event. Lots of details to work out, but it will be held on July 28th 2018 with awards banquet right after at another local venue. We already have tentative sponsorship from many industry leaders so we expect great things. We wanted to announce it here first, so "Save the Date" this is going to be awesome and we are very excited!!

Jeff

Also we are on Practi score now to sign up

Breaking News!!!!! Emil Praslick is not only coming to shoot with us, but will be giving a short talk at the banquet on wind reading.

Rules and COF amended 7/11/18 to include:

"Junior shooters (8 to 14 yrs of age) are allowed to shoot a rifle previously fired in the event, or share a rifle. For this reason Junior shooters will shoot after the adult class. Youth shooters (8 to 14 yrs of age) are not eligible for ELR Central world records, unless they are entered and record is set in Open class. No rifle can be shared in the Open Class."

View attachment Shooter Registration.pdf

View attachment Big Sky ELR Rim Fire Challenge RULES 2.pdf

View attachment Big Sky ELR Rim Fire Challenge COF 2.pdf

View attachment Local info for Big Sky ELR rimfire shoot.pdf

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
This is all coming together nicely.
Date: July 28 / 18 , Check
Range Venue: Townsend MT BRGC Range , Check
Banquet Venue: Check
Banquet Catering: Check
Camping location: Check

Sponsors are signing up, vendors are signing up, prize table is filling up, This is going to be a great event.

Question: What would be a reasonable price for a Match entry that includes one dinner ticket and awards Banquet entry?

Thanks
Jeff

NEMTHunter

Reaction score
Jeff what is the max Distance expected to be shot? Or will that be determined by how the shooter do the day of the event? Just trying to get a feel what might be needed for elevation to be able to dial in for the long shoots. Thanks!

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff what is the max Distance expected to be shot? Or will that be determined by how the shooter do the day of the event? Just trying to get a feel what might be needed for elevation to be able to dial in for the long shoots. Thanks!
ELR Central rules state all targets to be 12" x 12" and no targets closer than 200 yards. We are looking at 5 targets, and working out from 200 and target 5 in the 500 to 600 range. But this is not set in stone. I want to get my rifle going and just see what the hit probability is on those shots. We want it to be increasingly harder, but not near impossible.

So, from those numbers, 120 moa should be close.

Jeff

NEMTHunter

Reaction score
ELR Central rules state all targets to be 12" x 12" and no targets closer than 200 yards. We are looking at 5 targets, and working out from 200 and target 5 in the 500 to 600 range. But this is not set in stone. I want to get my rifle going and just see what the hit probability is on those shots. We want it to be increasingly harder, but not near impossible.

So, from those numbers, 120 moa should be close.

Jeff
Thanks Jeff. That gives me a lot to go off of. now I know what I will need to for a set up to be able to dial the distance. This is a event that would be a lot of fun! Not sure how good they will be able to hold groups at those ranges. The thing is its not the guns fault. Its the amo.

Broz

Reaction score
This event is going to be a great time. Vudoo is setting up at the 100 yard line and will let people test drive rifles. Other vendors are looking at coming too. The prize table will be pretty darn awesome too with several commitments already. There may be some side shoots as well. Plus we have a venue rented for the awards banquet and a caterer for dinner. Camping available in two local locations, and the range is very nice.

Here are some range pics I took a few days ago.

dah605

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would so much love to come out for this... if only flights weren't so much. If you plan to do it again next year, I'll plan for it.

-David

Mike_Millikan

Reaction score
I would Love to host or run one of these events at my range in Tennessee. Jeff could you hit me up and tell me what I need to do?

jmgardner

Reaction score
Jeff will most likely be out out of pocket for a week or so chasing bear , just FYI. but I'm sure he'll be back on this thread when he returns.

Last edited:

Daniel

Vice President
Staff member
Reaction score
I would Love to host or run one of these events at my range in Tennessee. Jeff could you hit me up and tell me what I need to do?
Jeff is officially off the Grid with the Rokslide, MTN Ops, Avery Adventures and other guys.

We are using ELR Central as a sanctioning body and they have appointed Jeff to head the Rimfire division for ELR so I will make sure he follows up with you when he gets back, I think this will me a good thing for the sport and bringing in young shooters sooner.

Daniel

Av8tr_66

Reaction score
Hi Mike,
I'm in East Tennessee and would both participate and assist as required.
Thanks
Todd Bailey

Mike_Millikan

Reaction score
sounds great Todd. The range that I operate is Eagle Eye Shooting Complex, about an hour drive south of Nashville, I will for sure host a rimfire ELR event, I would prefer it to be under a sanctioned body. As soon As I can get some info and set a date, I will be posting about it.

Mike_Millikan

Reaction score
thank you, and yes it is a great avenue for youth shooters, new shooters, and shooters with smaller budgets.

lotsofgrains

Reaction score
Have registered and now working out how to get there, as this looks and sounds like a lot of fun, now need some practice.

blaster50

Reaction score
Should be fun! Just registered online. See you all at the range!

Av8tr_66

Reaction score
Hi Jeff,
Will these be known distances as in 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600?
Thanks
Todd

lotsofgrains

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the detail here, also I have registered for the award dinner, just wondering how many are you expecting and are people bringing their better halves along.

Thanks, Carson

Broz

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the detail here, also I have registered for the award dinner, just wondering how many are you expecting and are people bringing their better halves along.

Thanks, Carson
I think there will be plenty of ladies at the banquet as well. I know we have at least one lady shooter registered and another set to sign up I think. So yes the match, banquet and dinner is gender friendly.

Jeff

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
Thanks, Jeff I will sign Deb up for the dinner. I am sure if you guys need help we can assist with the range.
Great! Thanks for the offer for help, we will keep this in mind. I attended the gun club board meeting last night, they are offering help too, so it will be nice to have many hands and hopefully all goes smooth as silk.

Jeff

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff, i think you mentioned side shoots (Other the Vodoo's on 100 yrds which i will try) what are you thinking here?
Not much for comps unless it would be for young shooters. No set plan yet. Just things going on to make the day fun for all. I want everyone to have a great time and stay busy at the range. Then we all go to the banquet for dinner, awards and relax and enjoy.

PS: and Yes Vudoo is coming and will be demoing rifles and offering test drives if I understand correctly.

Jeff

Broz

Reaction score
Latest announcements: To all, please feel free to copy this flyer and put it up in your local gun hang outs. We want as much wide spread representation as we can get. We appreciate any help with this, Thank you.

If anyone needs help with registration they can email me at Broz@LongRangeOnly.com

As of today you can also sign up on practi score

Here is the current Flyer.

Last edited:

VGW 22

Vudoo Gun Works / LRO Sponsor
Reaction score
Hi All, Vudoo Gun Works is super excited to be attending this event and several of our employees intend to shoot it as well. We appreciate LRO and ELR Central for formalizing a .22LR category and know we will all have fun. We are sure it is the beginning of many more to come. Vudoo will definitely be bringing plenty of demo rifles for all to shoot on the 100 yard bay and Lapua has graciously offered ammo for you all to shoot at no cost, during this time. Thanks to all involved including the shooters for attending the event but especially the Broz's for making it all happen.
Paul

Broz

Reaction score
Hi All, Vudoo Gun Works is super excited to be attending this event and several of our employees intend to shoot it as well. We appreciate LRO and ELR Central for formalizing a .22LR category and know we will all have fun. We are sure it is the beginning of many more to come. Vudoo will definitely be bringing plenty of demo rifles for all to shoot on the 100 yard bay and Lapua has graciously offered ammo for you all to shoot at no cost, during this time. Thanks to all involved including the shooters for attending the event but especially the Broz's for making it all happen.
Paul
Paul, we are very glad to see you join us here at LRO. Every Vudoo V 22 we have is pounding bullets into small holes. "Redefining Rim Fire" is right on.

Thanks so much for your support in the Big Sky ELR Rim Fire Challenge, I am sure the Vudoo rifle demo booth is going to be a very popular. Good to hear you are bringing shooters, I am sure Team Vudoo will be strong competition.

I appreciate the kind words, but I have had a lot of help organizing this event. From my son Daniel, my wife Diane, to all the sponsors and shooters that make it all a possible. I do think this will be a fun day in a beautiful place in Montana we are proud to call home.

Thanks again

Jeff

mtshooter

Reaction score
So what will you be shooting? bolt or semi auto? Make, model

Broz

Reaction score
21 days till the shoot. Better get registered as we will be cutting it off soon.
How about some Prize table pictures to motivate the procrastinators?

Last edited:

Broz

Reaction score
A huge box of Swag from Cutting Edge Bullets, T shirts, Hats, and hoodies.

$1000.00 off a U.S. Optics Scope

MK Machining is the official Steel Sponsor, and kicked in a bunch of throw levers and some anti-cant levels.

Speaking of Anti-Cant, how about a "Send It" from LRA

Three Triggers from Timney including two Calvin Elites

MORE OPTICS !!! A V4 Conquest Scope from Zeiss

SIG really stepped up too with a KILO 2400 AB and certificates for deals on their new BDX system

Broz

Reaction score
SK Rim fire ammo!

Lapua Rim Fire Ammo

PRIME Rim Fire Ammo

A TriggerTech Diamond and a TriggerTech AR trigger

Everyone gets a Seekins Precision Scratch off ticket. Plus one will be on the table for 40% off. That should make a new HAVAK rifle hard to resist. Plus seeking swag.

How about a NightForce Front Focal Plane 6 ~20 SHV and a NF certificate for 25% off a Spotting scope?

You know you want a new XLR Chassis right? Three certificates for $250 off.

lotsofgrains

Reaction score
Hi Jeff, I am sure you posted somewhere here location where people can camp, just cannot find it right now to register? It was also where the dinner was as well right?

Sorry Carso

AbbyKatt

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this historic event! I've been practicing and tweaking gear with the Vudoo crew down in Saint George, Utah. Getting close...getting exciting!

Trying to get all my logistics settled. I see the 287 to west on Indian Creek Road on the map...but then what? Is Indian Creek Road a dirt road? How far off of 287? I did look at the BRGC website, but no info there.

thanx!

NEMTHunter

Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to this historic event! I've been practicing and tweaking gear with the Vudoo crew down in Saint George, Utah. Getting close...getting exciting!

Trying to get all my logistics settled. I see the 287 to west on Indian Creek Road on the map...but then what? Is Indian Creek Road a dirt road? How far off of 287? I did look at the BRGC website, but no info there.

thanx!
Welcome to the Forum Abby!

Here is the address. Broadwater Road & Gun Club 330 Indian Creek Rd, Townsend, MT 59644 Yes it is a Gravel Road. Is about 3.5 Miles off of Highway 287 to the west.

Hope this helps

AbbyKatt

Reaction score
Many thanx. Yes, it helps a lot. I had thought I 'found' the range on an aerial picture, but wasn't 100% certain. My GPS software was letting me down. Good to go!

Broz

Reaction score
Many thanx. Yes, it helps a lot. I had thought I 'found' the range on an aerial picture, but wasn't 100% certain. My GPS software was letting me down. Good to go!
Its a mile or two up indian creek, straight shot and the range in on your right. Big iron gate, with a sign.

Forum Sponsors