Big buddy heater

freebird

Reaction score
I have a kodiak 10X14 canvas tent, it doesn't have the have the hole in roof for stove so I got a big buddy Mr heater. I have heard some people use them all night with no problems, I figured just use it in the morning to take the chill off for getting up. I have also heard a person might notice a little condensation from the propane heat. Would it be safe to keep the big propane bottle inside the tent of keep it outside.

Papa Charlie

Reaction score
Propane tanks are designed to vent through the safety valve when the pressure inside exceeds the tanks limit. This condition may not happen, but it can when the air around the tank heats up. From a safety point of view I would put it outside the tent.

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
Another safety concern to be aware of is the exhaust of the propane burning. Does that unit have any way to get rid of the burning exhaust?

Rjk300

Reaction score
We used one in our 16’ covered trailer that served as our camp 3ys ago in MT and propane tank was outside, inside of trailer was wet every morning. We used a carbon monoxide detector it did go off I believed 3 times in 10 days so we just opened a door for a while until it cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan

Reaction score
You're much better off putting a stove jack in and using a stove like the Nu-way 3500. I did it in my 10x14 Kodiak when I still had it. No worries about carbon monoxide, and because it vents externally - no condensation and easier to dry stuff out.

I ran the tank outside underneath the awning with an extension hose.

Chippewa

Reaction score
20200520_175338_copy_1512x2016.jpg I'm going to use a NuWay 3500 in my 12x20 Alaknak. I must say it puts out some nice heat but didn't like how much was lost up the chimney. So I made a make shift heat exchange. Now chimney temp at jack height is 180f instead of 350f. The little fan helps but on high the stove surface is around 600f. Also made a diamond plate floor pan with back plate to protect tent wall.
Paint smells abit first few firings but heated my 24x32 shop nicely just venting in the attic.

Papa Charlie

Reaction score
While I am not a lover of running propane heaters inside anything that I am occupying unless they are vented externally. This unit claims to have an automatic low oxygen level shutoff.

But still doesn't make me feel comfortable. Like letting a car drive for me. Yes than can do it, but to me, its like a drunk driving, sure he can do it but for how long?

Maybe I am getting too old, or maybe it is just because of the age I grew up in.

El Matador

Reaction score
The Big Buddy is a catalytic heater so it produces far less carbon monoxide than something using regular combustion, like a camp stove or "sunflower" heater. But they all burn the same amount of oxygen. So you're relatively safe from carbon monoxide poisoning with the Buddy. Low oxygen can be dangerous though, and I wouldn't want to rely 100% on a sensor for my safety while sleeping. You will need to have a source of fresh air if you want to use one all night long. For just taking the chill off in the mornings you'll be fine. I've used them in ice fishing tents quite a bit and they'll run for a couple of hours at least before the O2 starts getting low. I've also never had issues keeping propane inside a tent. I think the biggest risk you'll run into with using a big tank indoors is having a slow leak somewhere. If that happens at your cabin while you're away it could have major consequences but in a tent you'd smell it right away. Personally I wouldn't hesitate to use a big tank inside the tent.

terrapin

Reaction score
We use a Little Buddy heater in our Kodiak tents. We leave the pilot light on overnight, turn it up to high in the morning, before bed and if we’re just hanging out on a rainy day. There is condensation, especially after ten cold days. I’ve never had the low O2 shutdown in a tent, but I do get it after an hour in my very tight enclosed trailer. I have thousands of hours sitting in small ice fishing tents with no problems, nor do you hear about an inordinate # of problems in the mid-west where that is common practice.

Ice fishing common knowledge: Big tanks go outside... same with generators. There have been fatalities. Keep in mind people literally live on the ice for weeks on end in their ice fishing shelters. Many use Buddy heaters, and 90% of them are dead drunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum Sponsors