Best muzzle brake for hunting rifle

matt_3479

Reaction score
I purchased a custom 300 Norma mag with a vias brake and I don’t know if I’m a fan. What’s everyone’s favourite brake on a hunting rifle

FURMAN

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
I think Jeff is shooting a new one maybe he can pipe in.

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
I purchased a custom 300 Norma mag with a vias brake and I don’t know if I’m a fan. What’s everyone’s favourite brake on a hunting rifle

I have never understood how anyone could like the Vias brake. I am right there with you. We are testing a new brake design right now. It will be know as "The Muzzle Brake" We have done back to back tests with a few others and this brake is going to be my new favorite. 4 and 5 port designs. All Titanium coming in just over 2 oz. The recoil reduction is second to none. They should be available very soon. If you can not wait, get a Terminator T3. I will see if I can get a release date tomorrow.

skc

Reaction score
Hard to go past Terminator brakes IMO. I have them on everything from a T2 on a 6x47, T3 on a 300WSM and 30-338LM Imp to a T4 on a 375 Snipetac, T6 on a 50 BMG DT HTI and a T7 on a 50 cal wildcat. I will never use a Vais style brake again.

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
the first brake i had installed was like the Vias and i really liked it until i layed on the ground to shoot at a groundhog. i literally pulled a small stone out of my forehead. my sidekick was quite amuzed by it and still talks about it to this day.

Ladd

Reaction score
I have never understood how anyone could like the Vias brake. I am right there with you. We are testing a new brake design right now. It will be know as "The Muzzle Brake" We have done back to back tests with a few others and this brake is going to be my new favorite. 4 and 5 port designs. All Titanium coming in just over 2 oz. The recoil reduction is second to none. They should be available very soon. If you can not wait, get a Terminator T3. I will see if I can get a release date tomorrow.
That’s pretty big news Jeff. Can’t wait to see it. I’m sure you’ll go over everything when you can but I’m excited to see how it looks, how it’s timed, top ports, etc.

matt_3479

Reaction score
Okay I’ll hold off a bit. The t3 isn’t self timing and would require shims to insure proper alignment?

Nick092186

Reaction score
I went with a 5 port muscle brake for my 300 win mag that Ryan Pierce makes. So far I love it! The Christensen radial brake was great with recoil but brutal to shoot! It seemed like it directed the gas pressure right back towards you. If the Vias is anything like it I’d definitely go with something else.

Attachments

• 5F7B899E-31E2-4832-8F91-BA7B5AE1E7D4.jpeg
    5F7B899E-31E2-4832-8F91-BA7B5AE1E7D4.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 44

Broz

Reaction score
That’s pretty big news Jeff. Can’t wait to see it. I’m sure you’ll go over everything when you can but I’m excited to see how it looks, how it’s timed, top ports, etc.

Top ports will be added at some point, but maybe not at first. We are also discussing a "shim" method for timing but may not be available for a while.

This is a quality brake. The machining is excellent. The finish is excellent and it is ultra light.

Here is a sneak peak of my test models.
IMG_20200914_124504_932.jpg

Ladd

Reaction score
Top ports will be added at some point, but maybe not at first. We are also discussing a "shim" method for timing but may not be available for a while.

This is a quality brake. The machining is excellent. The finish is excellent and it is ultra light.

View attachment 5741
I like it. Looks like its meant to be barrel diameter for a seamless look if timed with a lathe. I prefer timed by my gunsmith but sometimes its nice to DIY without a lathe until I get it to the shop.

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
I have an Area419 Hellfire. Love it on both my .308 and 300WSM. I really like the tool-less install and self timing features. Also you can buy an adapter for each rifle and swap the brake from each on very easily.

Georgiashooter

Reaction score
The APA brakes are really nice and look very similar to the pic that Jeff posted. The APA brakes are loud, but any good brake is. IME, the shooter doesn’t feel much concussion with the APA, but any bystanders.....

Nick092186

Reaction score

View attachment 5741

That’s a good looking brake! Sign me up!

Broz

Reaction score
I just got word " The Muzzle Brake" will be ready to order on Nov 1st 2020. They will have a few models ready to ship with more coming later. I have another coming for my 6.5 PRC to test as well, and will be putting one on my latest 300 Terminator updated rifle.

IMG_20200914_124504_932.jpg

Hunt West

Reaction score
Design wise What are the differences between these and the MBM brakes other than titanium? They look pretty close. Just asking because I’ve used a lot of the MBM brakes and they work very well and have a top port option.

Broz

Reaction score
Weight, and in my opinion machine quality you can actually see. Port design on "The Muzzle Brake" is more like the Terminator design and these will have the top port too, and I am told it will be adjustable as soon as they have that design perfected as well as a self timing brake. They will be available either way at some point. To me top ports need to be adjustable. I have seen that they do need to be tuned if you want the results perfect. In my opinion, as important as a brake is to me, these are my choice by far.

Choovhntr

Reaction score
I have a MBM on my 300 win and a terminator on my 6.5 Prc. While I can’t compare effectiveness being they are such different cartridges, I will say that the terminator has a much better machining look to it. That said, the MBM was 1/3 the cost and is very effective. Nate is very easy to work with and will accommodate people if he can. These breaks look very well made as well as the rest of the products SRS offers. Either way, I love the fact that we have such great options from great people. My next rifle break will definitely be one of these, not because I’m disappointed with what I have, but to give business to good people making good products and to try something new.

ABC1000

Reaction score
I’d love to try one of your brakes on my next build Jeff. Looking forward to November. I would 2nd the muzzle brakes and more as far as a functioning brake... looks are great to me, but if something clearly works better than something else, costs less and is still fabbed in the great USA I’m in. I have two titanium Christensen slayer brakes and LOVE them both. I have the five port beast (not super beast but not lil either think it’s called big) on a 338 and it is a dream to shoot. I filmed it in slow motion and was blown away compared to many others I’ve tried (not going to name names). I just got their titanium 5 port brake for my 300 PRC last Monday and it shoots w/so much less felt recoil than a Creedmoor. I’ve spent a lot more on brakes and I get people want it to like nice especially on a custom gun but I think the MBM looks good and ARE SELF TIMING FOR CHEAP! Also, the titanium 5 port brake weighed in under 3 OZ for me which is 1/2 the weight. I do agree with Broz in the timing on the top of side porter brakes... I was able to see impact on my elk (with Christensen to slayer) last year because I could time it which was so much fun to see it drop in its tracks. That’s worth something right there.

Broz

Reaction score
I’d love to try one of your brakes on my next build Jeff. Looking forward to November.

Sorry if I mislead. But these Brakes I am testing and going to review are not mine. I did get to offer some input in the design features, But I am just doing test and Review for the company that will be selling them. And YES!! 100% USA made!!

Reload10

Reaction score
Do you have a 30 cal suppressor? Would be my choice for hunting.

If not, I've used the mbm beast line of brakes and they are nice. I would get the one Broz is talking about to try as well.

Reaction score
We really like our straight/tuned port brakes for hunting. Either the gunsmith install models (comes in Titanium) or our self-timing Tank ST brake.

waveslayer

Reaction score
Fat or little bastard are well proven to be some of the best brakes out there. I use them on several rigs

my wife thinks I only have 3 guns

Forum Sponsors