Best deal out there on Swaro EL Range 10x42?

jmden

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good deal out there on these at the moment. In the market. Can't seem to find a better option of combo rangefinder/binos, although I do not like the vertical beam orientation...

HARPERC

Reaction score
I think you're right the Swaro's are the best bino-ranger out there. Just a thought, not much hunting season left. The new model/feature season approaches, and between maybe something better, and deals on old models, the game may change in the next 2-3 months. I got my Swaro spotter on close out, unadvertised store special. Sounds like waiting for the tooth fairy, between Christmas and Easter, but it works on occasion. Good luck if I find a deal on one I'll pick up one for both of us!

jmden

Reaction score
My brother and I still have a cow tag for the last couple of weeks of December in the Teanaway unit, so I ain't done yet! :) Sill can shoot a cow in the Elk Area 3911 area til mid-December, which encompasses a good portion of the Teanaway unit, but the lack of public, huntable land for an out of area hunter is an issue.

Saw plenty of easily shootable elk from very close to quite a ways out during the reg. season, but no spikes. Gotta love WA!

jmden

Reaction score
Thanks, Ethan. That may b the way to go. For a backpack hunter especially, combining a rangefinder and binoc into one, saving the weight, space and time especially when an opportunity presents itself...just seems like the way to go.

Ethan21

Reaction score
Yeah absolutely that seems like what we all want lighter faster smaller right? Haha ya I just ran across it thought you might like that deal. Hope you find what your looking for I've still yet to get my rangefinder just borrowing my buddies for now but this might be the way to go... After I finally pull the plug on buying the DE rifle. Have to sell a toy to buy one because I hate to dip into my savings account but no one seems to want a motorcycle right now.

Ethan21

Reaction score
I hate that I live down in Oregon and I never see the game I am hunting during regular season!

Ethan21

Reaction score
I have that problem too but thought that it was just me. Nice 7x7 Elk on the opening morning of deer season.
Nope not just you I hate that when I see a huge elk during deer season then a huge deer during elk season. Seems like it's every year they are teasing me!

mtnwrunner

Long Range High Country Field Editor
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good deal out there on these at the moment. In the market. Can't seem to find a better option of combo rangefinder/binos, although I do not like the vertical beam orientation...
Sent ya a PM........

jmden

Reaction score
Was only able to use the EL Range's on one 4 day late season elk hunting trip, but wow, what a difference from my 10 yo middle of the road quality binocs. For one, I don't have to pack around two seperate devices, binocs and rangefinder, which save weight and space in my pack. But, more than that I think is how fast I can range, get the angle and see the target without having to grab another device and lose sight of the target in the process. Sometimes the speed of information gathering for long range shooting can make the difference between bringing home some meat and not and the EL Range with its ability to allow you to range and get the angle while glassing, makes things a little faster and less complicated to get a shooting solution.

I had the Outdoorsmans stud installed and purchased the tripod adapter as well. Amazing what it does to a pair of binos to be able to put them on a tripod, especially with how well thought out and made the Outdoorsmans tripod adapter systems for ELs is, which by the way, only adds 3 oz, to your pack and is very compact. The tripod adapter automatically locks onto the stud mounted on the binos and then a button has to be depressed to release it and the pivoting tension can be adjusted... That little tripod adapter is a machining work of art. I sat there looking at it several times trying to figure out how they even machine the thing. I'm not a machinist, so perhaps I'm easily impressed, but it's quite a piece of work, I think.

The optical clarity is great. For years, I've always felt like I couldn't quite focus as sharply as I'd like to with my binos. I've been told that this 'searching for focus' is an optical issue with the glass. I've been blessed with very good vision and this always bugged me that I wasn't able to see as good as my eyes would allow me to see due to optical quality. Don't have that issue with the ELs. Very sharp focus every time. Very bright edge to edge. I'm no optical expert or tester, so I'll just leave it at that, but I think for the vast majority of lrh'ers, this kind of well manufactured bino/rangefinder combo is the way to go. But, if you are trying to decide on which manufacturer to go with, the Outdoorsman's stud and tripod adapter systems for Swaros is a huge benefit that goes on the Swaro side of the equation.

Last edited:

jmden

Reaction score
bino on scale.jpg
Weight in oz. of bino with Butler Creek strap. Less than my other binos and seperate rangefinder. I like this Butler Creek strap in terms of comfort, cost (very cheap) and low bulk better than any other strap I've seen--not that I've seen them all. I like it alot better than the Swaro strap.I wear a mesh orange vest that the front ends of which get tucked into my pack waistbelt and under the waisbelt so I can grab the bottom edge of either side. Grab the bottom edge of either side and cross them under your waistbelt. This makes the mesh material cross well above the pack waistbelt. This lets you put the binos inside the vest where the two sides cross and they rest comfortably without bouncing and the weight is off your neck if you adjust the neck strap correctly. This is a no extra weight, bulk and cost way of carrying binos very comfortably without the need of some special binoc holder.

adapter on scale.jpg
Weight of Outdoorsman's tripod adapter in oz. with my adapter plate for the small Manfrotto tripod I use.

stud.jpg

Close up of Outdoorsman's EL adapter stud. Apparently there is an arrangement between Swaro and Outdoorsmans so that installation of this stud does not affect the Swaro warrantly.

adapter on stud.jpg
Pic of tripod adapter attached to tripod stud. The knob is spring loaded such that it had a collar in the tripod adapter hole that snaps on to the recessed portion of the stud to keep it locked in place. To release it from the stud, depress the button up top. The button/knob can be turned to tighten or loosen the pivot force needed on the stud to move the level the binocs. Pretty slick system for this country boy...

Greg Duley

Reaction score
Interesting adapter. I just rest mine on a flat sand bag on an alloy plate on top of the tripod for precision work.
And the vertical beam thing is interesting. I was concerned about this until I conducted some actual tests, and found that despite this, of all the rangefinders excluding the Vectronix, the ELs were the only one to give me reliable readings along a flat plane. Ranging to a low object on a flat field the ELs gave far less readings to the ground in front or beyond the object, even though some of the other models have a supposedly horizontal beam pattern.
Are you using the TBR feature, or Cal as Swaro call it? Out to 1000 yards that’s what we always use for the speediest solution and it is surprisingly accurate and has never let us down. Beyond 1000 yards you have to put it back on angle mode and input that into Shooter or whatever ballistic app you’re using.

jmden

Reaction score
Yes, I had some concern about the vertical beam as well, but talked to some folks, read some stuff and decided that it seemed like it was working pretty well for folks.

At this point, I've just use the angle and yardage feature and let Shooter do the calculating, but I should do some comparison to Shooter to see how consistent the two are.

Yep, that Outdoorsman's adapter is a very nice feature, no doubt about it.

Greg Duley

Reaction score
On our lightweight walkabout LR rifles like the under 7lb all up 7mm Fatmax with a 3-18x44 VX6 on it, we fit the scopes with a custom CDS dial graduated for the actual load in yards. Then you just range with the ELs set on the Cal feature which gives you TBR, dial in the range and shoot. No apps, dope sheets, more things with batteries to go flat etc. It is by far the fastest system we've found out to 800 yards or so. And we work out our data for the load at the average pressure and temp we'll be hunting, give exactly what I want the dial to say for each graduation to Leupold, and then we have a system that works for us out to 800 yards in an instant. Beyond 800 especially if we think the conditions are quite different to our standard, we'll measure temp and pressure and use the angle and range and input it into Shooter and dial up as usual. We get Leupold to put the MOA around on top of the custom dial as well, so we have this option. Then beyond 1000 yards with the Nightforce equiped big guns, we likewise measure range and angle, and input all the data into Shooter etc.

jmden

Reaction score
Sounds like a great system, Greg. What bullet are you using and what fps are you getting with that FatMax again? That's based on the 338 Lap case, right?

Greg Duley

Reaction score
The 7mm Fatmax is the 300 Norma necked down and improved. So yes, its 338 Lapua diameter but 2.5 inches long. We actually put these in much modified short actions, as well as long actions. That's why Fatmax for maximum performance out of a short action. Our full length 7mm/338 Lapua improved we call the 7mmFX, for Fatso Xtreme. All out Fatso line is based on the 338 lapua head diameter, form the WSM length Fatso up to the full length Xtreme. We even tried a full 2.9" version based on the full length Rigby which we called the 7mm Thor, but that was too much of a good thing down a 7mm bore - we actually lost velocity over the 7mmFX. It works great in 338 of course.
The 7mm Fatmax pushes a 180gn Berger Hybrid at a comfortable 3250fps out of the 26" barrel on our 7lb including scope rifles. The 7mmFX will do 3350fps with the 180gn out of the same length barrel, or 3450fps out of a 30" barrel.

ShtrRdy

Reaction score
Since this thread is over 6 years old they may not be interested any longer.

Forum Sponsors