Bench Comparison 300 Win Mag VS 30 Nosler Article by LRO editor Jeff Brozovich

HARPERC

Reaction score
Thanks! I have a .300 Win-Mag, that needs to prove itself over the winter. It's a bit behind schedule, but I've freed up my ATACR, if it proves worthwhile it gets a more shootable stock. If it doesn't, a new stock and barrel are on the list.

I've been waiting on some hard data, but the .30 Nosler is on the list of possibilities.

No issues with the Winchester version, no expectation of any meaningful FPS, or MOA benefit, but it is new and shiny. Look forward to more!

bigngreen

Reaction score
I've been impressed with the 28 Nosler and I'm really interested to see where the 30 Nosler ends up, I'm not sure I really want to push the 215 much faster? It's been sooooo sweet in the 2950-3000 range I've been a little afraid of ruining a good thing by running it faster but unless it got just enough with the 230 to give it an edge I'm having a hard time finding a solid reason to build the Nosler over the Win. I will say coughing up $70ish dollars for 25 rounds of 28 Nosler was hard!!

JeffVN

ELR Field Editor
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, but what is the base case that has evolved into the 30 Nosler (Am I wrong to presume the same base case is used for the 28 Nosler)?

Jeff

bigngreen

Reaction score
Same basic case as the 28 just the shoulder is pushed back farther.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ksmirk

Reaction score
If I recall they are bases on the 404 Jeffrey. I had a serious woody for a 28 Nolser UNTIL I started pricing things out..... it would take me 2 months to get 100pcs's of brass as that crap isn't cheap! and while it's a jumpin' cartridge at this time what about say 2-3 years from now? sorta like say a 7WSM.

From talking to many folks about what would be a good choice I've been pointed to the 300WM more times than not and after some time researching I can agree with the suggestions. The Nosler rounds are new and shiny today but let's see what happens in the next year or so. Later,

Kirk

dworrel

Reaction score
I have a 28 Nosler, and a 7 WSM, and still looking to do one of these.

Timber338

Reaction score
Jeff, have you started a thread yet on your 30 Nosler build? I know you've mentioned it over on LRH, but maybe I missed a dedicated thread over here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pyroducksx3

LRO Product Review Editor
Reaction score
Jeff, have you started a thread yet on your 30 Nosler build? I know you've mentioned it over on LRH, but maybe I missed a dedicated thread over here.

He has broken it up in seperate reviews and will bring the project together when the rifle is put together, which shouldn't be long the gunsmith bedded his action just the other day. I believe the project is named "Executive Order". Here are some of the seperate reviews of the components.

Christensen barrel
http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...istensen-Carbon-Wrapped-Barrel-and-components

Manners cf stock
http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...5-Carbon-Fiber-Stock-Review-by-Jeff-Brozovich

Lone Peak titanium fusion action
http://www.longrangeonly.com/forum/...deo-Review-by-LRO-field-Editor-Jeff-Brozovich

Timber338

Reaction score
Thanks Pyroducks for the links. I'm also having a 30 Nosler built on a Fuzion Ti so will be interesting to see how Jeff's rifle turns out and to see how the load development goes.

Pyroducksx3

LRO Product Review Editor
Reaction score
Those lone peak titanium actions are at the very top of my list of cool bad ass new products!

Forum Sponsors