A matter of perspective

Mark Carew

Reaction score
I live in Ontario, Canada so firearm safety training is a federal requirement for a firearms license in Canada. Without a firearms license, one cannot legally possess, purchase and use any firearm or purchase ammunition. Horrific accidents where a young child accidentally shoots a sibling are unknown in Canada due to firearm and ammunition storage laws.

That being said, twenty years ago, I was asked to try out a friend's recent auction purchase at a legal shooting range. It was a Savage takedown model '99 in 250 Savage. I put a round into the magazine, cycled the lever, and the rifle discharged instantly. The bullet plowed into the ground about ten feet straight ahead of my station, still in my shooting lane. I felt the heat of embarrassment climbing into my face; I mumbled something about my foolishness of somehow setting the trigger off as I closed the action. The range officer, sensing my discomfort at the discharge, stated that " Twenty years of safety training had just payed dividends for everyone involved at the range today!"

Long story short, the rifle required a gunsmith's attention, as each time the action closed the rifle would discharge. The sear was worn to the point that it would not hold the firing mechanism at highest tension. I think of this experience often as a matter of perspective.

MTNBOYJD

Reaction score
Good reminder of gun safety. I have been next to a couple similar incidents. If the gun was not pointed in a safe direction it could have been fatal. Recently a co worker was shot in the leg by a 9mm. His buddy was holding the handgun when it went off and the bullet went through his hand and through my friends leg. Luckily both are ok.
The guy holding the gun has been in the Army 10 years. Never become complacent. I say there is no such thing as an accidental discharge, someone made a mistake.

Chippewa

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing guys. Stories like these are great to pass on. Which I will with my kids next time were at the range. I even preach first move forward when parking. So many simple habits really prevent bad days.

Forum Sponsors