.300 saum

Dave2288

Reaction score
My gunsmith is currently working my ruger m77mkii, it came in .300 saum and i like the round so im going to keep it firing that round. I picked up ptgs m77 scout bottom metal to go dbm, so i can load to 2.950". My gunsmith asked me about what i want to do about how much freebore i want and im not quite sure what i should do here. This is my first non off the shelf gun. Itll wear a lilja #5 contour stainless barrel and a mcmillan a5 stock, and im leaning towards a nf nx8 4-32 to sit on top, very excited to have some fun with it

rfurman24

LRO Rifle and Gear Review Editor
Staff member
Reaction score
My gunsmith is currently working my ruger m77mkii, it came in .300 saum and i like the round so im going to keep it firing that round. I picked up ptgs m77 scout bottom metal to go dbm, so i can load to 2.950". My gunsmith asked me about what i want to do about how much freebore i want and im not quite sure what i should do here. This is my first non off the shelf gun. Itll wear a lilja #5 contour stainless barrel and a mcmillan a5 stock, and im leaning towards a nf nx8 4-32 to sit on top, very excited to have some fun with it
I personally would not build a short mag on a short action but if you are dead set on this setup I would seat a bullet at max mag length and have your gunsmith throat it accordingly.

Dave2288

Reaction score
I personally would not build a short mag on a short action but if you are dead set on this setup I would seat a bullet at max mag length and have your gunsmith throat it accordingly.
Why is it not good to build a short mag on a short action? Will i have feeding/extraction issues? I was planning on keeping it .300 saum for this barrel and then switching to 6.5 prc for the next barrel(i have plenty of .300 saum brass to get me through 1 barrel and no 6.5 prc is available by me atm, so it just made sense to me)

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Why is it not good to build a short mag on a short action? Will i have feeding/extraction issues? I was planning on keeping it .300 saum for this barrel and then switching to 6.5 prc for the next barrel(i have plenty of .300 saum brass to get me through 1 barrel and no 6.5 prc is available by me atm, so it just made sense to me)
In order to take advantage of a 30 cal you need to be shooting 200 grain bullets or larger. With the proper bullet seated at the proper length you will be around 3.2-3.250" COAL. I do not think they feed as good in a short action but with proper tweaking it will be fine. It is just not optimal.

Dave2288

Reaction score
In order to take advantage of a 30 cal you need to be shooting 200 grain bullets or larger. With the proper bullet seated at the proper length you will be around 3.2-3.250" COAL. I do not think they feed as good in a short action but with proper tweaking it will be fine. It is just not optimal.
Ahh, so the magazine restricts me from building a proper load for a decent heavy bullet. The .300 saum is supposed to have a coal of 2.825" so i assumed i had enough extra space to have fun with this mag length, i didnt really consider the bullet weight that the cartridge was designed to shoot at that coal and how much a larger bullet would go into the powder chamber. This is all my first go around with trying to do some long range stuff, so im still learning a lot about all of this. Is the 2.950" long enough for decent 6.5 prc loads or is it a waste of time to consider that chambering for my next barrel? The mags are sold for use with .300 wsm/saum/6.5 prc, but i dont think that even covers the max coal of 6.5 prc, few thousanths short, right?

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
Ahh, so the magazine restricts me from building a proper load for a decent heavy bullet. The .300 saum is supposed to have a coal of 2.825" so i assumed i had enough extra space to have fun with this mag length, i didnt really consider the bullet weight that the cartridge was designed to shoot at that coal and how much a larger bullet would go into the powder chamber. This is all my first go around with trying to do some long range stuff, so im still learning a lot about all of this. Is the 2.950" long enough for decent 6.5 prc loads or is it a waste of time to consider that chambering for my next barrel? The mags are sold for use with .300 wsm/saum/6.5 prc, but i dont think that even covers the max coal of 6.5 prc, few thousanths short, right?
My favorite 6.5 bullet is the 156. The 156 seated correctly in a PRC will be over 3". I would not say its a waste of time just not optimal. There are a lot of poorly designed SAAMI cartridges. That does not mean they are not good cartridges, it just means they would be better with a custom throat and longer magazine space. I personally believe too many people get hung up on a rebuilding a rifle they already have when they would be better off selling said rifle and starting with a better base. Let's step back a second and see what the goals are for the rifle. What will you be using the rifle for?

Dave2288

Reaction score
My favorite 6.5 bullet is the 156. The 156 seated correctly in a PRC will be over 3". I would not say its a waste of time just not optimal. There are a lot of poorly designed SAAMI cartridges. That does not mean they are not good cartridges, it just means they would be better with a custom throat and longer magazine space. I personally believe too many people get hung up on a rebuilding a rifle they already have when they would be better off selling said rifle and starting with a better base. Let's step back a second and see what the goals are for the rifle. What will you be using the rifle for?
That goal has changed. It started as i wanted to see what the cartridge could do in terms of long range accuracy but turned into i want an accurate elk gun, not quite as interested in trying to see what groups i can get at a mile from it, moreso would like to have a fairly accurate gun that can handle elk to say 800ish yards. I can practice out to 1000 but im not sure if thats asking too much of this setup for game that size

rfurman24

Staff member
Reaction score
That goal has changed. It started as i wanted to see what the cartridge could do in terms of long range accuracy but turned into i want an accurate elk gun, not quite as interested in trying to see what groups i can get at a mile from it, moreso would like to have a fairly accurate gun that can handle elk to say 800ish yards. I can practice out to 1000 but im not sure if thats asking too much of this setup for game that size
I think with the intent to hunt elk you need to stay with a 30 cal and 200 plus grain bullets. We have had great success with the 215. If you try to build this setup in a short action you will have roughly .200" pushed below the case neck wasting precious powder space. I personally would sell the rifle and get something better suited for the task.

waveslayer

Reaction score
I know this is nuts, and not everyone's cup of tea. Look into selling that rig and getting a DT. Then you can run short or long action doesn't matter.

Buy asap barrels as you want, no restriction on COL because of magazine length. Extremely Extremely accurate.

Their new A2's are crazy light, unlike the old ones. Takes some getting used to, but once you do, you can shoot .223 up to 375 Swiss P.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Homebrewer

Reaction score
DT ??? Translation please. That one went waayyy over my head.

Dennis

waveslayer

Reaction score
DT ??? Translation please. That one went waayyy over my head.

Dennis
Sorry, Desert Tech. SRS model.

On this forum not much info about them. Their HTI model is properly the most underutilized, under rated gun in the world. Yes I'll stand by that! If you truly knew what the HTI does and can do.

Anyways, look at the SRS. I mainly shoot my DT , because I can switch barrels in a matter of 45 seconds. No loss of zero

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Dave2288

Reaction score
I think with the intent to hunt elk you need to stay with a 30 cal and 200 plus grain bullets. We have had great success with the 215. If you try to build this setup in a short action you will have roughly .200" pushed below the case neck wasting precious powder space. I personally would sell the rifle and get something better suited for the task.
Yea i just ran the numbers, even if i go with 200 bergers to the full 2.950, i have .243 past the neck of the case. The project was started months before i joined this forum and is already being worked on, i wish i had known about this place before hand. I mean, i wouldnt sell the rifle, it has sentimental value, but it will turn into some money wasted. After watching a lot of your youtube videos, im pretty sold on trying a gunwerks .300 prc magnus as my next rifle, i think that may suit my needs a bit better. I may get this one rebarreled to work with lighter bullets when i get it, i believe my smith suggested i get a 1 in 9.5" twist, which is way too fast for 150-180 gr bullets. Lesson learned. Like i said, ive learned a lot since i started following the channel, just wish i found it sooner.

Forum Sponsors