280 ackley accuracy issues

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
I recently picked up a legendary arms pro II chambered in 280 AI. Topped it with a vortex viper gen 2 5-25x50.. Ive put over 200 rounds down the tube and done load development with Berger 168’s, Nosler ABLR 168’s, Sierra game changer 165’s, and Hornady eld-x 175’s. As well as some factory Nosler accubond 140’s and Hornady eldx 162’s... during load development I would have some loads group great(.3-.6) and then have that same load shoot over 1.5 inches the next time I try it, this seems to be the trend with any loads I have tried. A load with shoot a bug hole once, and then won’t do it again. The most consistent thing I have tried has been factory Nosler trophy grade, with 140gr Accubond, grouping anywhere from .4” to 1.5”... this is not ideal for what I want out of this rifle, I would like to be in the 160-180 weight class.. any input is appreciated.

elkguide

Reaction score
Have you cleaned your barrel? I've seen extreme variations caused by a dirty barrel.

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
I did clean every 50 shots or so, after break in it didn’t take much to clean copper out

elkguide

Reaction score
How is the bedding?
Is the barrel channel free floated and clear?
Are the bolts tightened to specs?

And probably the most likely, scope.
Did you use locktite on the scope bases/mount?
Have you tried swapping for a known, working scope?

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
Yes, bedding is solid, barrel is totally floated out, action screws are torqued... I haven’t tried it with a different scope yet, but I will give that a go next time I try load development!

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
Greg, I am not sure of what you mean by “clocked the bedding”... but it is glass bedded from the smiths at LAW...

jardo

Reaction score
Try a different scope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg Duley

Reaction score
Sorry, been away in the mountains. Clocking with a dial gauge is the only way to test whether bedding is under tension or not. The job can look picture perfect but be terribly sprung, which is the main fault with bedding.
With the rifle held vertically in a vice, stick a magnetic base dial gauge on the barrel just in front of the forend with the dial indicator reading on the underneath of the forend. Then undo and do back up the front then the rear action screws. The dial gauge should not read any more than 5 thou of spring as the screws are loosened, and we fail our bedding jobs at 3 thou.
I'll try and post up a pic if this is confusing.

scottrod338

Reaction score
This is EXCELLENT information. Would be great to check my bedding jobs. I just do my own and have only done a few but have had good results. I will be checking mine out.
Thanks

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
Oh I see! I will give that a try and swap out the scopefor a known working one, I’ll report back my findings! Thanks guys!

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
I have not had good enough weather to get out and do load development, but I did pull the scope and put it on a 17HMR that I use as a trainer of sorts, scope seems to track well... is this too small of a gun to test the scopes repeatability with though? (Recoil is non existent so I thought maybe that might cause less stress on the scope)

Malibual0

Reaction score
To me it sounds like a scope issue. If you have another rifle scope you can install it to verify if it is a scope issue.

Brennon-fisher

Reaction score
Swapped scopes and started printing .5’s pretty consistantly! Thanks for the advice guys!

Simo hayha

Reaction score
Sorry, been away in the mountains. Clocking with a dial gauge is the only way to test whether bedding is under tension or not. The job can look picture perfect but be terribly sprung, which is the main fault with bedding.
With the rifle held vertically in a vice, stick a magnetic base dial gauge on the barrel just in front of the forend with the dial indicator reading on the underneath of the forend. Then undo and do back up the front then the rear action screws. The dial gauge should not read any more than 5 thou of spring as the screws are loosened, and we fail our bedding jobs at 3 thou.
I'll try and post up a pic if this is confusing.

How do you check stainless barrels

xsn10s

Reaction score
Eastern Oregon. 3 miles from a 800 yard range :)
A couple of other things I noticed too if your testing loads and shoot a different powder or bullets then accuracy can be off until the barrel gets "seasoned" with the new load. Or some barrels will need to be cleaned of all fouling before shooting well with a different bullet. Are you testing from a bench using bags? Or shooting off a bipod?

Forum Sponsors