28 Day Rebuild by Wilderness Athlete It's On!!

Broz

LRO Owner~Editor~Long Range Hunting Specilist
Reaction score
Foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend MT.
OK, It's time! In fact I am late to the party. But I am 100% on it. I am getting older yes, we all are. But I can be better.It starts today. I am going on the fast track to build muscle, especially upper body but not limited to my focus areas of arms and shoulders. I also want to increase my stamina for longer hiking, lifting, packing as well as increase joint strength through muscle fitness and . I also need to drop weight, and I am sure that will come with it.

Here is my choice. Wilderness Athlete 28 Day Rebuild

I will also be taking Joint Advantage and Lean Life.

I am shooting my bow 2 to 3 times a day. Pulling 65 lbs again. Increasing my daily walks / hikes look for more strenuous daily activity. I don't do the gym thing, just not me. But I can be better and I am hell bent to make progress before the season and some upcoming hunts. I know it will take time, but I want to see what can be accomplished in the 28 days.

Offer pointers if you have them please.

Who wants to join me? It would be great to have others working at this to share results , accomplishments and advice.

Dave Wilson

Reaction score
I'm an old fart, weekend athlete wanna-be. I too step up my training in September doing basically what you've described. But the most important muscle to train is the hip flexor. AKA core exercises. Its the only muscle that attaches to both your lower and upper body.. You will just feel better and be able to do more if your hip flexor is in good shape.

SierraJoe

Reaction score
Two things I have learned the hard way to make a priority: Core strength and shoulder stability muscle strength. I have to concentrate on my lower back with regular exercises or I get discomfort and/or pain. Shoulders are similar for me, but to a lesser extent. Regular and consistent routines are critical to success here.

I think these types of exercises need to to be done in a controlled manner, like a gym. I do not know of a good way to do them in the field hiking with a pack or working on the ranch or I would do them. Though they certainly do help with performance on these type of activities! I am a home gym minimalist doing most of my workouts with Bodyweight exercises. I was one of the most fit dudes among my peers and I have not touched a bench press in years. There are a tone of resources on the internet for good exercises to target these muscle groups.

Best of luck Broz!

Broz

Reaction score
I do understand what a Gym could bring to the table. But it is not at all in the cards. I would have to drive an 80 mile round trip at least 4 times a week. I can not do that and I really hate going to town anyway. So I need to just do what I can here and hopefully develop something I can actually stick with. I will get the exercise, but I am leaning on the products as well to help me too.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
I do understand what a Gym could bring to the table. But it is not at all in the cards. I would have to drive an 80 mile round trip at least 4 times a week. I can not do that and I really hate going to town anyway. So I need to just do what I can here and hopefully develop something I can actually stick with. I will get the exercise, but I am leaning on the products as well to help me too.
Broz, I know I am a little younger than you, but if I could recommend a couple of things, I think they will go far for most here.

One, I would buy a couple of kettlebells. Go light on the weight, so you can focus on form. There are a TON of different exercises on the web. These weights are very versatile, as you can do a lot with them.

Second, I would recommend some resistance bands. Like the kettlebells, you can do a bunch of different exercises with them.

Lastly, is to do Hindu squats. I do these every morning. They are very good for your lower quad strength and are great for you boys out west that hike up and down a lot of terrain.

All of these things can be done at home, with minimal equipment.

I also run, but I am younger than most here and I know running isn't for everyone. There are also a bunch of lower body YouTube videos for leg type workouts. I do one that takes only 10min, but will roast you. The good thing is you can get better as you go.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Two things I have learned the hard way to make a priority: Core strength and shoulder stability muscle strength. I have to concentrate on my lower back with regular exercises or I get discomfort and/or pain. Shoulders are similar for me, but to a lesser extent. Regular and consistent routines are critical to success here.

I think these types of exercises need to to be done in a controlled manner, like a gym. I do not know of a good way to do them in the field hiking with a pack or working on the ranch or I would do them. Though they certainly do help with performance on these type of activities! I am a home gym minimalist doing most of my workouts with Bodyweight exercises. I was one of the most fit dudes among my peers and I have not touched a bench press in years. There are a tone of resources on the internet for good exercises to target these muscle groups.

Best of luck Broz!
amen brother…..core and shoulders is all that matters. Most others are “pretty/pool” muscles. Not saying don’t work them, but I concentrate on both mainly for archery.

Broz

Reaction score
Well my shoulders are talking out loud again. So I must be doing something right. Not sure what the popping and cracking is, but I will chew through it. So I will be giving off warning sound when I draw my bow now. :LOL:

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Well my shoulders are talking out loud again. So I must be doing something right. Not sure what the popping and cracking is, but I will chew through it. So I will be giving off warning sound when I draw my bow now. :LOL:
Step on some dried sticks first…..the 6X6 bull will just think it is more cracking sticks as you draw back…..

Broz

Reaction score
First report from day 4. Waiting for a few items to come in, but using the WA Joint Advantage, Lean Life, Midnight Build, and Meal Replacement shakes. I am down a little over 3 lbs on the scales. Been shooting the bow 2 or 3 times daily 9 to 12 arrows each time in 3 arrow reps pulling 62.5 lbs. Doing more walking and a little with light hand weights. There is definite progress as I can draw easier already and less fatigue.

No way I am saying I am there at all yet. But for sure I am on a better track.

Tex Savage

Reaction score
Well I don't hunt in the mountains but it's high time I got off my duff and started getting back to hunting fitness. Starting the Original Strenggth exercises. Gonna do the Hindu Squats and Push Ups, coupled with his phase 1 & 2 workout for rotator/shoulders. My left one has gotten so weak I can't pull my Martin Wharthog that's a 50% let off cranked up to 70lbs. Although I don't bow hunt, I like shooting the bow. This will help with the LR hunting & shooting. I got about 60lbs to shed Broz, don't expect it off real fast but 20-30 in a month or so and 45-60 lbs off by mid November might be obtainable. I'll try to post back on progress.

mullmann

Reaction score
Last November I decided to start eating two meals a day due to my eating schedule and work schedule not lining up. That has been the easiest way for me to lose and regulate my weight. I haven’t gone back to my gym since I left in July 2020. It works for me, but it may not be for everyone. It’s tough at first, but your body gets use to it pretty fast.

I also tried the several small meals throughout the day back in 2015/2016 when I trained for a half marathon. It sucked, but worked. Packing all those snacks/meals and trying to eat at specific times throughout the day is a pain. At the time I was working nights which made it even more difficult.

I have tried the wilderness athlete and mountain ops products. At the end of the day healthy eating is what I found works the best.

There are so many exercises you can do at home with little or no equipment. There are also lots of workout videos online you can checkout.

Good luck with your journey.

Broz

Reaction score
I agree eating schedules are hard to keep. I just do not eat at the same times every day. I typically exchange breakfast for 2 cups of coffee, and will eat a light lunch between 11:00 and 2:00 then Dinner can be anywhere from 5:00 to 7:00 typically, with a few ranging as late as 8:00 ~ 9:00 but not often on the later times. This is something I need to work on and the reason I find taking the WA Lean Life supplements 1/2 hour before I eat a challenge.

My experience has been a lot different since using the WA products. By day 3 of starting them back up I was feeling better. I am sure my age is part of that and the fact I need to eat better. Getting what my body needs is important.

The WA energy and Focus and Hydrate and recover is awesome for me for energy and mental clarity. I can tell when I need to Hydrate and drink one. I love those products and use them daily especially during hunting season.

Broz

Reaction score
Good for you Tex. I am down about 5 so far, but I already feel better and I swear the WA Joint Advantage works well. And my acid re flux is going away. Maybe from just eating better, but I feel the WA complete Probiotic could be of help there too.

Going to start to substituting the creamer in my coffee for the WA Daily Strength Vanilla. Trying to eliminate all the bad stuff I can.

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
Keep it up Boz and Tex! I’m rooting for you both!

Always good for guys to make these type of changes and better themselves if they can. Keep putting in the work. It will pay off. I promise!

Broz

Reaction score
A little late, but here is my update for the progress. Weight loss is not anything to boast about so far. About 10 pounds is all, but I do fully believe I have exchanged some fat for muscle. A recent trip to WY after speed goats left me pleasantly surprised and maybe even impressed. I was able to hike some pretty good treks. A couple times 1 mile plus without a rest. That is a huge change. There were a couple days where I surpassed 5 miles a day with a pack and some equipment and rifle. I would guess the average pack weight to be 45 lbs, 60 on the heavy trips. So I feel really ready for the soon to be here elk rifle season.

Two products that really shine for me are the WA Joint advantage and the Complete probiotic. The Joint Advantage not only helps reduce joint pain and inflammation, it reduces joint stress and lubricates for mobility. It also aids in recovery after those long days on the trail. I recommend it if you have less than stellar joints as I do.

The Complete Probiotic increases your immunity, which is a good thing in today's world. Plus it has really helped with my acid re-flux even when I eat poor choices. Also said to increase fat loss, but can't say either way really on that, but makes sense.

I am going to continue what I have been doing.

Jeff

OSOK - Crash

Reaction score
A little late, but here is my update for the progress. Weight loss is not anything to boast about so far. About 10 pounds is all, but I do fully believe I have exchanged some fat for muscle. A recent trip to WY after speed goats left me pleasantly surprised and maybe even impressed. I was able to hike some pretty good treks. A couple times 1 mile plus without a rest. That is a huge change. There were a couple days where I surpassed 5 miles a day with a pack and some equipment and rifle. I would guess the average pack weight to be 45 lbs, 60 on the heavy trips. So I feel really ready for the soon to be here elk rifle season.

Two products that really shine for me are the WA Joint advantage and the Complete probiotic. The Joint Advantage not only helps reduce joint pain and inflammation, it reduces joint stress and lubricates for mobility. It also aids in recovery after those long days on the trail. I recommend it if you have less than stellar joints as I do.

The Complete Probiotic increases your immunity, which is a good thing in today's world. Plus it has really helped with my acid re-flux even when I eat poor choices. Also said to increase fat loss, but can't say either way really on that, but makes sense.

I am going to continue what I have been doing.

Jeff

That’s great Jeff! Glad to hear you are seeing the rewards from the hard work. This always helps motivate to push on more.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Jeff, maybe you answered this in the recent post…..but with what you are using now for this 28 days, what are you considering using going forward? Either for working out, recovery, hydration, etc etc.

Broz

Reaction score
Jeff, maybe you answered this in the recent post…..but with what you are using now for this 28 days, what are you considering using going forward? Either for working out, recovery, hydration, etc etc.
Wilderness Athlete has a 28 Day Rebuild program.
Going forward I will stay with the Joint Advantage, I always use their Energy and Focus that stuff is awesome and I also use their Hydrate and Recover. Sometimes I mix them for the drink know as the Superman.

Then I will continue the Complete Probiotic I will also use the Daily Strength and Brute strength as I can during hunting season to keep from wearing down.

Be warned, once you start using this stuff and give it a chance to work for you, you will not want to be without it.

Jeff

Forum Sponsors