2023 Bows

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Anyone thinking of jumping on any of these new bows that came out this year?
I don't know if any of the bows are really calling to me, but some of the new accessories to support the new bows are pretty intriguing.
I'm a Mathews guy, and the additional integration for stabilizers is interesting, but a bloody fortune. No doubt the new Phase 4 is quieter than my current Vertix (out west) and my 27" V3.....but I don't have anything jumping the string currently.

RBanta66

Reaction score
I'm gonna buy the new Bowtech CP30. I've shot the Hoyt VTM, Elite Omnia, Bowtech CP30 and I actually shot a left over Matthews VX3 they all felt pretty darn good but I'm gonna stick with the Bowtech. I've been shooting my 2012 Insanity CPX 70lb at 28in draw for 10yrs. I still love shooting this bow, but with the CP30 I am actually able to shoot at a 29in draw length. It's shorter and I've switched to a Omega hand held thumb trigger so that helped with the draw length. Plus I wanted a smoother shorter bow. I just switched sights to the Black Gold Assent Verdict Assault, with a single vertical .010 pin which will go on the new bow. This will be a birthday present to myself. Ha Ha[emoji23]

Shot this at 65yds today with my new sight on my Insanity.
b308bb7056ad4afcb0c2f6bed2d745b0.jpg

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
My only adjustment is I went to the Axcel Landslyde sight with the 6” dovetail and the 3 pin Accustat. The dovetail allowed me to really dial in my halo on my sight perfectly, and I love the 2 needle setup on the slider. Allows me to have 2 constant yardages on a 3 pin sight. Didn’t use that feature in the tree stand this year for whitetail, but in practice out to 82 yards, and out west in the future, I absolutely love that feature.

mjspeers

Reaction score
I’m a Mathews fanboy I suppose. I’ve shot Mathews since I was a kid and have always liked them, no real experience on others.

I’m still shooting a Triax. I think it’s too small for me so I think it’s just time to buy a whole new setup and will get a Phase4 33. Like you said, those accessories look awesome …and expensive. But I don’t get into bows as much as guns, so probably just buy it all and have a shop set it up and be set for another 5-10ths.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Triax was a game changer for Mathew’s and laid the groundwork for most of their current product line. Great bow you have there.
However, once you are above 29”, maybe even 28.5” on draw length, your strong angle got pretty steep. Im
Guessing since you are gravitating to the 33, that you are in that “orangutan draw length” category. ;).

mjspeers

Reaction score
I am 6’1” and I think my draw is 29, maybe should be longer. I don’t trust who set my last bow up. It’s not in tune now, I’m not sure it ever was. Not the bow’s fault it’s mine. As they say it’s the Indian not the arrow. But even still it killed a lot of deer and turkey. Wanna buy it?

That’s part of the reason I’m just ready to get a whole new setup. I like the idea of a longer bow that’s maybe easier to shoot well but at the same time a very narrow/compact package.

RBanta66

Reaction score
My only adjustment is I went to the Axcel Landslyde sight with the 6” dovetail and the 3 pin Accustat. The dovetail allowed me to really dial in my halo on my sight perfectly, and I love the 2 needle setup on the slider. Allows me to have 2 constant yardages on a 3 pin sight. Didn’t use that feature in the tree stand this year for whitetail, but in practice out to 82 yards, and out west in the future, I absolutely love that feature.
I thought about the new Dual Trac or a 3 pin but in the end I want to see how I shot with a less cluttered sight picture. I've always shot as 5 pin sight and just wanted to try something different. I might use this for target and 3D and get a 3 pin for hunting. My Insanity is fast enough my first 3 pins are 30, 40 and 50. I just gap for in between ranges. 20 to 30 is only about 2in on target, a deers hear is 4 almost 5in so to me it's a no brainer. Plus if you've shot as long as I have you learn how to shoot your bow. Just like anything else Practice, Practice, Practice!!

Darkside

Reaction score
I've been shooting Hoyt for a couple generations, my old and current bow is a Vectrix. 2011 model 🤯 . Last year I took it to a friend who owns a Bow shop and where I bought it. And he agreed that I only need a couple upgrades. He fixed it up for me and I'm good for another decade. I envy you guys, there was a time, I was a serious bow hunter. Can't really do it anymore. But I still go out. And watch those beautiful bucks walk by. 👍

MJ73

Reaction score
PSE Mach 34 is awesome! This is the best carbon bow I have ever shot.

I wish I would have shot one before the Phase 4. I was not a fan of the 8 limbs and the ridiculous price of the accessories for the Phase 4. I picked up the last v3x 33 for 500 less than the Phase 4. Now I have 2 to use this year.

mjspeers

Reaction score
Planning to upgrade my bow today or in the very near future. What’s a fair trade on a Mathews Triax, Fast Eddy 2pin, QAD rest, beestinger stabilizer, and older Mathews quiver?

Been hunted with but new strings last year and in decent shape. I’ve never traded a bow in and just want an idea what I’m looking at. Or if anyone here is interested.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Planning to upgrade my bow today or in the very near future. What’s a fair trade on a Mathews Triax, Fast Eddy 2pin, QAD rest, beestinger stabilizer, and older Mathews quiver?

Been hunted with but new strings last year and in decent shape. I’ve never traded a bow in and just want an idea what I’m looking at. Or if anyone here is interested.
Trade in, prob about $600-$700 at the high end.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Anybody bought that new bow yet? Or are you like me and still shooting and testing. I've shot the Hoyt VTM, the CP30, SS34, SX80, Elite Omnia. Still need to shoot the PSE Unite and a Mathews. I also want to shoot a Hoyt ZS1 Turbo. My quest for a new bow is still on. I'll admit with my short 28in draw I lean toward speed bows but that might change this year.

mjspeers

Reaction score
Went all out on a Phase 4 33 with all their accessories. So far I like it. Just getting the feel for it, too early to comment. It’s way smoother and easier to draw than my Triax. Also more dead in the hand.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Went all out on a Phase 4 33 with all their accessories. So far I like it. Just getting the feel for it, too early to comment. It’s way smoother and easier to draw than my Triax. Also more dead in the hand.
Sounds like you made a solid choice!!

I've been shooting Bowtech for the last 11yrs but so far my favorite bow has been the Elite Omnia, dead in the hand and fast and quite. No decision yet but if I were to buy tomorrow it would be the Elite.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I shot the Phase 4, and it is damn nice for sure. My V3 is quiet and well tuned, but the Phase 4 is quieter and more dead…..something I didn’t think was possible. For how my V3 is set up, I run a front and back bar with down rigger…..and I just can’t justify for me nearly $1000 in bars and accessories to truly capitalize on the benefits of the Phase 4. I should do it….as the 529’s for the boys are well funded. ;)

mjspeers

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's how I set mine all up too and those things really start to add up. I knew it wasn't reasonable as I was giving the green light, that an $80 stabilizer probably works just as well but I figured the cost of the bow still won't touch what I have in to some of my rifles. Now I just need a lil practice before spring turkey.

Farmerbrown32

Reaction score
I was not a fan boy of any brand until this year. Been shootin the same old alpine archery bow my good friend gave me almost ten years ago but decided to upgrade. Got the mathews phase 4. It is pretty amazing. So quiet and so dead in the hand. Shoots great. Love the integrated stabilizer, rest and sight.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Oh yeah, that's how I set mine all up too and those things really start to add up. I knew it wasn't reasonable as I was giving the green light, that an $80 stabilizer probably works just as well but I figured the cost of the bow still won't touch what I have in to some of my rifles. Now I just need a lil practice before spring turkey.
Turkey with a bow is a stud move!! I've only dropped 2 in my life with a bow, but dozens with the 12 gauge. Good luck!!

mjspeers

Reaction score
I turkey hunted a little as a kid and lost interest. A few years back I picked up a bow and fell in love with it again. I like the show, I want them in close and want an experience. I can live with not getting one. My experience has been you have to put a biiig hole in them. I cannot believe the type of damage those darn birds can take and stay alive. I maybe fill half of my spring turkey tags, I'd be 100% with a gun... but hey just makes me get out there more.

Glad to hear everyone else likes the Phase4. I've always been a Mathews fanboy so always wondered if my bias is so heavy that it clouds my opinion on them.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Bow hunting Turkeys is crazy fun and challenging. Had some private land I use to hunt several years back. I would bury myself into a holly tree and once they committed to the decoys I was able to draw back without being detected. Our coyote population has exploded here in Virginia, now the turkeys hit the ground and go silent. Makes for a tough day in the turkey woods. I've only killed one in the last 2 years.

Willys

Reaction score
Still have a 65# recurve made by Colt in the mid 60’s. Shoulders starting to tire, may have to move to a new Bowtech, holding steady at full draw not as easy as it used to be…… but will have to get sights too I suppose. Sure was nice to just throw up and shoot like a shotgun. Got quite a few critters on the run up close that would be tough to lock onto with sights. But my range should double so thats a plus.

RBanta66

Reaction score
After shooting just about every new flagship bow in my area I've decided to stay with Bowtech. I just ordered a CP30 70lb in Kuiu, it will be here in 3wks I'll be shooting it at 29in and I will be shooting in performance mode. Self admitting I like as much speed as I can get. There were two others I was considering but just feel Bowtech's cam was just to smooth and efficient to pass up. I will be keeping my Insanity CPX as that bow has just been a great bow for me. I'll go with either a ripcord or Hamskea Epsilon and Bee Stinger stabs. I hunt from treestands 100% so don't shoot with the quiver on the bow, will get that before the season though. It will be 3 weeks before the bow is here which works out as I'll be getting back from vacation then. Looking forward to my new Toy!!

RBanta66

Reaction score
Awesome stuff there!! Congrats on the new bow!!

I'll be honest I almost went with the Prime Revex. The quality of the riser and the machine work put all others to shame. Side by side the CP30 was smoother, quieter and more FPS at same draw length and same arrow. It will be ready for the chess game with the giant buck I'll be hunting in Oct.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Got my new Bowtech CP30. I'm shooting 430gn Easton Sonics 27 1/4in, shot it through the Chrono 287, 285, 286fps, and that's in comfort mode. This bows draw cycle is smooth as butter. I'm gonna enjoy this one for awhile. The target was shot at 60yds.
9c9e0049a0d8c27a4f093e9cb59bc993.jpg
4cb865ce1a609998f66682a42c57b565.jpg
86687ec9136d18ce7e4c542c831adde1.jpg
cef75e09d2a6c0403ffcb219c0d18cf7.jpg

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RBanta66

Reaction score
New bow and already dialed in. Love it!!
I kinda got lucky. I literally took the sight of my old bow (CPX INSANITY) bolted it on and made only a couple minor adjustments. I didn't even have to switch yardage tapes, I'll take some luck once in awhile!! (Sight was bought for new bow but I did give it a test run on the old bow) Sight is Black Gold Assent Verdict Assault Single pin .010, really like the sight.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
Paper tune it…..and then paper tune it again after about 500 shots as the string settles in and you’ll be golden.

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
I can't seem to jump into a new bow this year either. I was always tryin a couple new bows a year. I have a PSE MACH 1 that I bought new a couple years ago. It's been the perfect hunting rig for me. I still have my 2014 PSE DNA with core cams that I shoot just as much as my MACH 1. The shift in bows lately has me less interested than ever honestly. In the bow marketing world every year is light years ahead and last years models are obsolete. The latest trends are subtle tweaks. Bows have gotten heavier and slower since 2017 or so. I'm still in the old world of shooting 350fps bows that are light. I love 70% let off and I'm not bothered by the more aggressive draw cycles. When I ordered my MACH 1 from PSE I ordered the low let off speed mods for the bow at the same time. I got the mods a month before the bow. I never shot the bow without them.

RBanta66

Reaction score
I can't seem to jump into a new bow this year either. I was always tryin a couple new bows a year. I have a PSE MACH 1 that I bought new a couple years ago. It's been the perfect hunting rig for me. I still have my 2014 PSE DNA with core cams that I shoot just as much as my MACH 1.
I'm a speed bow freak as well, My 2012 Bowtech CPX Insanity isn't going anywhere. I shoot my Insanity at 28in draw and I'm shooting my CP30 at a 29in draw. I've switched to a B3 Omega handheld release a couple years ago. The shorter CP30 feels great and doesn't feel like it's trying to take off if your not hard on that back wall (Comfort Mode). Both bows are shooting pretty close to the same speed 295fps.

RBanta66

Reaction score
Paper tune it…..and then paper tune it again after about 500 shots as the string settles in and you’ll be golden.

Shooting bullet holes through paper, I even screwed on a Stryker V2 broadhead and it's shooting money out to 60yds. I always re-paper tune it a month before the season just to double check everything.

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 5 or so year only doing rifle hunting. But I knew I’d have way more opportunity to hunt if I started bow hunting. I shot a ton 15 years ago, but haven’t had a new bow in 20 years. So right before AZ’s elk draw, I decided I had enough points to draw a archery tag, and went out and bought a new bow. I then drew my first elk tag.

So what did I get…
  • PSE Drive NXT 28” 70 pound draw
  • QAD Rest
  • Black Gold Acsent Verdict
  • Bee Stinger Bars
  • Easton Axis 340 arrows
  • UV Button Release
9F790BCF-FCA3-45BC-B2AE-FA27FC07A148.jpeg

BC16808D-E49C-46E4-B659-721B08BAE019.jpeg

I’ve been shooting 4-5 days a week, with one trip to the range to stretch out my distance.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I’ve spent the last 5 or so year only doing rifle hunting. But I knew I’d have way more opportunity to hunt if I started bow hunting. I shot a ton 15 years ago, but haven’t had a new bow in 20 years. So right before AZ’s elk draw, I decided I had enough points to draw a archery tag, and went out and bought a new bow. I then drew my first elk tag.

So what did I get…
  • QAD Rest
  • Bee Stinger Bars
  • Easton Axis 340 arrows
  • UV Button Release
View attachment 15903

View attachment 15904

I’ve been shooting 4-5 days a week, with one trip to the range to stretch out my distance.
Congrats, nice setup and shooting. And best of all…..you’re launching my favorite arrows and spine. What broadhead are you going to be using?

RBanta66

Reaction score

So what did I get…
  • QAD Rest
  • Bee Stinger Bars
  • Easton Axis 340 arrows
  • UV Button Release
View attachment 15903

View attachment 15904

Nice setup, looks like your ready to hunt. Solid choices all the way around!

NorCal_In_AZ

Reaction score
Congrats, nice setup and shooting. And best of all…..you’re launching my favorite arrows and spine. What broadhead are you going to be using?
I’m going to use Annihilator’s 100 grain. I have 50 grains of brass in the arrow, putting my total weight at 447.

I’ve shot Gold Tips forever, but tried the Axis arrows this year and found the smaller diameter works great in the wind.

Spreedizzle

Reaction score
I’m going to use Annihilator’s 100 grain. I have 50 grains of brass in the arrow, putting my total weight at 447.

I’ve shot Gold Tips forever, but tried the Axis arrows this year and found the smaller diameter works great in the wind.
You are right there with me….nearly identical setup and weight/FOC. Nice broadhead. They fly great and leave a nice hole. Good luck!!

Taylor692

Reaction score
The New Hoyt RX 8 and RX 8 Ultra look amazing !!
I currently have the RX 7 Ultra amd love it.

AXEFORCE6

Reaction score
Think you love Easton arrows. We just named our first born Easton 😂

Last edited:

Forum Sponsors