Night time shooting?

With the excessive Vegas heat and the appearance the daytime wind is never going to stop blowing, I am going to venture out and spend a bit of time doing a night time shoot. Though about setting up some lights on the target, (200 and 300 yards) and then of course illuminate our shooting area with my generator and some stand lights.
    Anyone else done this, anything I should be conscious of? This is just for load development purposes on several different guns. I am conscious of pressure issues from shooting when it is cooler at night and then using the same loads in the higher daytime temps.
    Thoughts/help/suggestions?
    Thanks

Dave, its funny this topic came up at this time. We are doing an informal shoot in August in southern Colorado on a huge private ranch. We were discussing mirage that time of year and I suggested shooting at night. I have only done this twice but it was a lot of fun. First time was shooting a 1000 yards with clay pigeons placed in a dirt bank with glow sticks played horizontal on top of clay pigeons. You would be surprised how clear these targets were with NF illumination! We used head lamps at the shooter position and did have a Coleman lantern in the back of shooter position but found that the lantern was more of a hinderance due to eye dilation.
    The next time we shot I used a 4x4 piece of plywood with freezer stapled to plywood. Freezer paper was stapled with glossy side towards plywood. We super glued slow sticks in center of targets and also used bailing wire to hold them but found that wire was not needed. The glow sticks were glued forming an upside down "T". We shot out to 1,100 yards and it was a hoot! :-)
    Needless to say but finding an area to shoot at night is the hardest part! Finding a place where there is no chance of humans walking or riding in the dark and crossing line a fire.
    Anyway that is my take on shooting at night. Beets being in the big city anytime.
    Ray

Thanks Ray, one night shoot done, and all in all much better than dealing with the Fn wind that wont ever seem to quit.
    Some observations, first, having the shooting/staging area over lit is definitely an issue if you think you can just jump in behind your scope as the eyes take a bit to adjust.
    The targets were on a plastic backer and they must be facing directly into the light or you can create a touch of a shadow, but so simple to avoid. We originally tried to just use a fairly decent flashlight, which is quick and simple, but once we fired up a generator and put two flood lights on the targets, we didn't look back, although I believe a better/faster portable lighting source is easily found, such as a higher end flashlight.
    And, there is some weird S*** that goes on in the Las Vegas desert, but I presume no more weird than us shooting to the wee hours of the morning
    But the unforeseen bonus of it all, is the girls all came along, and brought the ice chest and opened up the bar in the middle of the desert and not once did they any of them ask when we were going home. BONUS

Alcohol, guns, and women. What's not to love? Responsibly of course.
    Last edited by Brentc; 08-12-2014 at 11:37.

Hmm? Vegas women? I for one would like pictures! Dave you can text them to me if to graphic

Ray

Well what a way to rekindle an old thread, damn guys, I deleted those photos a month ago when no one cared that I was shooting at night. Guess Ill have to have another night shoot/photo shoot And yes, responsibly, of course!