Long Range Groundhog shooting

Thought I already posted this but cannot find it.

Although I have been away from it for 7 years, I used to spend significant time and money chasing proper locations for long range groundhog shooting in the NorthEast. I took mini trips for a week at a time. I seek finding someone with a similar passion that would like a partner in crime. I have sticks from .17 to .408 and all the bells and whistles to use them properly.

I realize I probaby won't be so lucky as to find another retired accuracy freak but I can hope!

Getting tired of shooting paper and bowling pins. Need 500 yards and up to make it worthwhile.

I used to shoot Pa, Ohio, NY, WVa, Va, and Maryland.
    Last edited by VaRandy; 02-13-2017 at 22:20.

Good luck with your search, those trips can give you some trying targets with different conditions. over here in eastern wa. we have lots of rock chucks that guys get in to and make for a good day behind the glass to keep finding targets to engage. a few guys can keep a few colonies busy for a while.

Not all hunters are good companions. Be carefull what you wish for a week is a long time with the wrong guy.

Amen to that. i would not want to check my keys at the beginning of the week. I think I know enough now to up front determine the suitability by their equipment, accomplishments, etc. I did join a Pa chuck shooter who fired from the ground while all my shooting was off the bench. His Manlicher or whatever in .270 was really supposed to be the sh**. His turn,a grown one at a measly 350 yards. He fires, declares him dead.

I few minutes later I fire and drop his twin! End of day, I want to go see damage. he was not interested. Anyway, I get there and one dead chuck, mine. I knew he had missed the sucker but he would have none of it. That pretty much ended a several day shoot with a lot of great targets to be had.

Well you really dont get to know people till you spend time with them. By that i mean days of being together.
    You can hold your breath for a day if necessary, but it's tough on a long trip. There are the lets just eat junk
    food and drive straight thru guys. The 11 oclock somewhere guys, and those dictating when we get back before we leave.
    Or worse yet after we leave. Then theres always the guy who will take his friends to the favorite spots you took him.
    Late sept. ill be making an 1800 mile trip to S E Montana for prairie dogs alone. There are 2 others leaving for the same place
    by seperate vehicle. One is my oldest and best friend and his friend. We went together 2 years ago to the same place.
    This is the only way i would agree to go again. We can draw an imaginary line thru the dog town and each have our own area to shoot.
    We did that last time and it worked well. But ill be free to stop when i want, where i want, and stay as long as i want.

Quote Originally Posted by VaRandy View Post

Getting tired of shooting paper and bowling pins. Need 500 yes and up to make it worthwhile.

I used to shoot Pa, Ohio, NY, WVa, Va, and Maryland.

I feel your pain. 5 years ago, I had almost a dozen property's I could hunt, fish and shoot within here in south-eastern NY State. Today there are none available for a variety of reasons.

Several property's were sold and had houses planted on them. A couple of farms were passed on to family who live in or around NY City. Those folks don't run the farms any longer but rather use the property as a weekend retreat. They have expressed their desire to NOT have us on their property for any reason. One actually called the authorities BECAUSE we entered their property to let them know we would be in a particular field. We did not know about the change of ownership until after knocking on the door. Fortunately, the officers recognized what had taken place.

My favorite place to shoot was actually 3 smaller property's. Unfortunately the one in the middle had a house built 2 years ago and that precludes any shooting because of that proximity.

This past spring, I spent a few weekends knocking on new doors and leaving my name and number. None have been receptive to any hunting or shooting on their property. One landowner who did take a few minutes to talk to us told us that at one time he did allow hunting... but no longer. He sited hunters disrespect for him, his family and property as the reason for not allowing anyone to hunt. After listening to several ugly scenarios of what he said happened, I don't blame him one bit.

I was going to try to do some looking in PA and VA later this year with the hope of setting something up for next year.

Good luck in your search. I know it's not going to be easy.

Pete
    The 2nd Amendment had its defining moment in 1791. Everything since, has been an infringement.