Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What to do with a 257 Weatherby

I have a 257 Weatherby Mark V with a barrel that's toast. I'm planning on rebarreling the gun and struggling on what to do with it. Could do the 257 again with a faster twist barrel. Half tempted to do a wildcat 6.5-257. I like the 257 because its easy to shoot and crazy lethal, but wouldn't mind a slightly heavier bullet. I already have all the dies for the 257, so if I change the bushing, the 6.5 is an easy option.

Already have great hunting rifles in 338 edge, 300 WM, 308, and 45 raptor.

What would you guys do?

Fast-twist .257 Wby for the 131 Blackjacks, or 1:8 twist 7mm RemMag.
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

I agree. Look at the Blackjack Bullets 131gr. They have barrels/bullets on their website.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wouldn't build a rifle around ONE bullet...been there, done that.

More and more high BC 25 cal bullets coming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More 25 cal bullets coming? I saw the blackjack, but it's a match bullet and the hunting line is still to come.
    Im just wondering if is more advantageous to add .007 bore diameter to have 105 -156 grain bullets.
    The most I'd do is .277 because I already have the big hitters

I think your idea of a 6.5-300 Wby is a good one.

With all the great bullets and readily available barrels. What's there not to like?

Pretty hard to beat the ol' .264 Winny...I know it's not hyped up or tacticool but it's proven.

Quote Originally Posted by MILEPOST View Post
    I think your idea of a 6.5-300 Wby is a good one.

With all the great bullets and readily available barrels. What's there not to like?
    500 rounds of barrel life...
    "I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
    The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.

Fast twist .257. More than one bullet to choose from, with more in the pipeline.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast