Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300prc

Quote Originally Posted by rpierce View Post
    Not yet. However like I said in the previous post. Its showing significantly less throat erosion and wear compared to the 28 noslers w 195s at 3100+ fps. I see no reason why it won't last 1000-1200. Some guys have gotten more than that. I only shoot 3 shots and then let it cool. I also wait a minute or so between each shot. I keep the barrel clean and don't let it get a carbon buildup. Those steps will significantly help with barrel life in any cartridge.
    rpierce how many rounds have you been getting out off 28n’s, 500-600?
    What would you recommend for a standard 300NM with 215 bergers, h1000 or N570. Do you think you would get better barrel life with h1000?

Quote Originally Posted by BClrh View Post
    rpierce how many rounds have you been getting out off 28n’s, 500-600?
    What would you recommend for a standard 300NM with 215 bergers, h1000 or N570. Do you think you would get better barrel life with h1000?
    600-800 and youll need a new barrel for the nosler. H1000 shot lights out in my norma improved and is going to be a lot easier on the barrel than N570. My hunting rifles are just that though. A barrel on it will last a very long time, like over 10 years. So I generally push my loads on the higher node as long as it shoots consistently. For plinking theres 6.5x47's, creedmoors etc. I will be trying the new IMR 8133 in my heavy norma improved in the next day or so. Results from other people looked promising so I figured id give it a whirl and try and give customers more load data options.

Quote Originally Posted by rfurman24 View Post
    One of my 30 Noslers is still shooting at 700 but it looks ugly with a bore scope.
    ive had barrels shoot absolutely lights out even though they didn't look great with a bore scope. that was when I used to shoot fclass every weekend. haven't had time to shoot a match in like 4 years. just keep the barrel clean and cool and it will prolong barrel life. carbon buildup kills accuracy etc. I haven't found anything that works better than Boretech C4 carbon eliminator. 5 wet patches, 20 strokes with a tight fitting brush soaked in C4 and then let it sit for half hour to an hour, then 5 wet patches, dry patches and then a patch of oil. Carbon etc is completely removed. If you soak a muzzle brake in it overnight the heavy carbon buildups will wipe off with a q tip. and in my experience won't harm cerakote.

I was under the impression that you didn't want to keep your barrel squeaky clean. Am I confusing carbon build up with copper build up? Won't it take many rounds for the pressure to get back to where it was if you always clean it after shooting?

I'm still learning.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Carbon buildup will jack your pressures up and ruin your accuracy. Reloader 33 is notorious for this in the 28 nosler. Its extremely dirty and requires cleaning every 20-30 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by rpierce View Post
    rfurman24:
    At first i was skeptical of doing the improved. However a barrel takes 50-100 rounds for the barrel to break in/velocity stabilize. So I grabbed 100 rounds of factory abm ammo that was loaded w lapua brass. It shot lights out with some of the groups being in the .1s moa wise. After the brass was formed and the velocity was stabilized I did a 10 shot ladder test. Saw the node on the target and chrono. Loaded up that load and shot 4 groups with it. It averaged 3/4" at 400 yards off the bipod. I then plugged the info into my sig kilo 2400 and away i went. That load was with h1000. After my antelope hunt I got 40 lbs of N570 in that was on backorder. I did up a 10 shot ladder test and found a load in 10 shots with that powder. Its pushing the 215 at 3225 with no pressure. Now I agree the standard norma isn't better than a few of the big 30s out there. Lapua brass is way better though than the Hornady or nosler for the other magnums. However when a guy looks at the improved version it is really tough to beat. Push a 215 up to 3300, lapua brass that will last a couple barrels, fits in a standard magazine, and the nodes are a mile wide. Ballistically its better than a 338 lapua without the recoil in a lightweight setup. Its actually flatter than a 28 nosler w a 195 at 3100 fps, identical wind drift but a lot more energy than the 28. I just finished up my 2nd improved for myself and its in a lightweight setup. I took it out and put 4 rounds on target. Made a scope correction after the first shot and then the next 3 went into .248" at 100 off the bipod. Factory ammo and fireforming. I can spot my hits in that 10 lbs with optics setup off the bipod with a 215 berger over 3200 fps. So far my 300 improveds have shown significantly less throat wear than the 28 noslers also.
    rpierce, what velocity were you getting with your good H1000 load before you switched to N570? I was also wondering if you had any good estimate on what kind of velocity gain you are getting in a 26" barrel with the norma improved compared to the standard norma?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12