Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talk to me about the 300 Norma AI

I’m going to have a 300 Norma or 300 Norma AI built by Ryan Pierce. He is building one for himself so I am sure he’ll have a good idea of what is going to work by the time mine is done. Anyone have experience with the 215 Berger or 212/220 ELD-X? I’m curious on your velocity and recoil, and other input you may have. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been shooting the 230 Hybrid, Russ. Shot the 210 LRBT before that. I used RL17 with the 210 and N550 and H4350 with the 230. With N550, I am seeing 2500 fps from 30" and moderate pressure. It could go a bit faster but showed best accuracy at 2500. I point the 230 and my 1000 yard drop numbers indicate ~.410 G7 B.C. All my 230 work has been in Lapua Palma brass. Best primer was CCI 450. I am planning to try Remington 7½ BR primers and see if the increased brisance helps the velocity spread. My best ES/SD was 7.90/3.28 but ~16.0/7.0 is more typical. The barrel is a 10" twist Shilen Select with a .280" freebore and best grouping was at -.011 or 3.139 OAL. The velocity spread numbers are a little better with H4350 but it is ~50 fps down from N550.

Mine is a 338 Norma with a 35 degree shoulder and necked down to .30. I shoot 230 Bergers at 3045fps in a 30" barrel with 91 or 92grs of R-33 (depends on the brass). It will shoot over 3100fps but it's stupid accurate at 3045fps. Like 3 shot groups in the .1's and 5 shot groups sub .25". My freebore is .235" and COAL is 3.607 with a load round.

Recoil is almost nothing in a 16lb rifle with one of my brakes. If I was going to shoot just big bullets I would run at least a .280" freebore. I did mine so I could run 215's also but it's so accurate where it is I haven't messed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
    Mine is a 338 Norma with a 35 degree shoulder and necked down to .30. I shoot 230 Bergers at 3045fps in a 30" barrel with 91 or 92grs of R-33 (depends on the brass). It will shoot over 3100fps but it's stupid accurate at 3045fps. Like 3 shot groups in the .1's and 5 shot groups sub .25". My freebore is .235" and COAL is 3.607 with a load round.

Recoil is almost nothing in a 16lb rifle with one of my brakes. If I was going to shoot just big bullets I would run at least a .280" freebore. I did mine so I could run 215's also but it's so accurate where it is I haven't messed with it.
    I’m thinking of running the 215/230 Berger or the 212/220 ELD-X, but the new 240 Berger will also have my attention. Does anybody know when Lapua brass will actually be available?

That is a lot of powder for steel. I have great results out past 1200 with my 6-47L and 6.5 WSSM, and I get the pleasure of actually seeing the bullet splash off of the steel. I have plenty of 300 WSM's, 300 WBY's and a 338 EDGE, but 9 out of 10 rounds sent down range are from the smaller calibers. When we decide to shoot the 1300 - 1800 yard targets we go to the bigger cal's.

Now, if you gotta go big, I think you are spot on!!! I am shooting up the gaggle of 30 caliber 1000 yard comp tubes I have in inventory, so my choice is already made up for me.

Just my .02.

I’ve got lots of smaller options from 6.5 CM to 7 WSM, to 300 WSM. This gun will be my long range elk/bear gun so I want to go big... big enough I’d have no desire to go bigger. It will shoot a little steel, but not much more than to keep me proficient with it.

Shawn and his ol man at Defensive Edge built me a 30/338 Norma Imp with their +P throat. The chamber sounds like Idaho CTD's, mentioned above, with a 35° shoulder and .235" freebore. It's a long range hunting rifle so it has a 28" Proof on it, really want a 30" carbon someday. Wish Proof made one. I only have about 85rds behind it so far with 215 and 230 Bergers. The 230's hit pressure at 3203fps and i havent went high enough to hit pressure with the 215's yet. 215's hit 3260fps. I'm using formed down 423 Dakota brass made by Lapua. I've been running both the 215's and 230's at the same velocity, 3115fps. 90% of the bullets down the tube have been 215's. I'll stick t
    at the lower 3115fps velocity until bout 150-200rds and then finalize the load for whichever bullet the rifle likes. Its shot .2"-.3" 5 shot groups with 215's at 100y. It took me forever to shoot the groups because the barrel gets pretty warm after only 2-3 shots. Im sure some guys will disagree and thats fine. but from what I've noticed over the 80 rounds I've shot with it, the amount of powder, 98-100gr+ of RL33, is just to much for this barrel to stack shot after shot into the same hole (without letting it cool) like a 30"+ heavy contour steel barrel could do without as much cooldown time. I dont like paper punching at 100y anyway, so it could just be me. I just know i can't shoot as tight as i can when the barrel is cool. It'll put 2 rounds sub .25" damn near everytime, but if the 3rd-5th shots are right after another the group opens up a bit. It's still sub 1", not like its whipping them a foot in whatever direction. But its a badass gun and feeds from an AI mag great! And the recoil reduction the DE Mini Slab brake provides is simply amazing!! The rifle weighed 12.6lbs without a bipod. Thats with a a 7-35 ATACR as well. I almost bought one of Ryan Pierce's muzzle brakes but decided to see how the DE would do. I'm glad i waited! Ryan's brakes are top notch as well so you should have a nice easy shooting rifle. I When i get a chance later today im going to start a thread on the rifle and ill try to update it as i go.

I took a look at his reamer print and it’s a 33 degree shoulder. I’ve got his custom Whidden dies and Lapua brass on the way. I’m thinking of doing barrel break in and fire forming with 212-220 ELD-X’s since they are way cheaper than the Bergers. After all is broken in I’ll try 215 and 230 Bergers as well. Anyone have stats about the new big .30 cal Bergers that are supposed to be coming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiwayman92 View Post
    I took a look at his reamer print and it’s a 33 degree shoulder. I’ve got his custom Whidden dies and Lapua brass on the way. I’m thinking of doing barrel break in and fire forming with 212-220 ELD-X’s since they are way cheaper than the Bergers. After all is broken in I’ll try 215 and 230 Bergers as well. Anyone have stats about the new big .30 cal Bergers that are supposed to be coming out?

I like his design and the reamer specs look like a good improved version. Hear you can fire factory 300 Norma ammo through it as well without headspace issues. Thats a big plus for sure! I like my 35° so far and it feeds great from the AI mags. I hear ya on the cost of the 215/230 Bergers and using them on fireform loads. I used 208gr eldm's since i had them on hand. Also used a few 225's as well, way cheaper and easier to find on the shelf. Ive settled in on a load for mine with Berger Target 230's at 3150fps. I just shot it last week from 700 out to 1K. Its incredibly accurate... I have no excuses now hahaha. I shot two 3 shot groups at 100. Since then i havent shot it under 650 yards ha. Good luck with your rifle, anything Ryan Pierce has a hand in seems to be a tack driver! Heres a few pics from my final load development with mine. Im impressed with it. Next barrel for this rifle will be a 30"-32" chambered in 300 Terminator. Never satisfied i suppose haha

3 shot group

Very nice!! Is this load using RL33?

Could be kinda hard finding an 8 twist 30" carbon barrel. Carbon six might spin you up one but not too sure that it will shoot as well as your proof.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast