Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review Comparison , Oehler 35, Magneto Speed, and Super Chrono

At the foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend Montana

Review Comparison , Oehler 35, Magneto Speed, and Super Chrono

In my review of these 3 chronographs, we set out to find consistency, and differences of the 3 units. Here is a brief description of each unit.

Oehler 35: I believe this unit to be the standard among the top end quality chronographs. It has a long history of reliability and accuracy. One of the strong points about this unit is it measures each bullet twice. This is referred to as the "proof screen" The unit has 3 screens or light deflectors and eyes so it can capture two readings on each bullet to detect errors if they occur. I have personally used this unit on many rifles and using its data, drops are always on to past 1000 yards or very close. So this is the unit I chose to use as a ruler for the others being tested.

The Magneto Speed: This unit is relatively new. It differs in the fact it clamps to the barrel at the muzzle end and measures bullets as they pass over it. It uses some kind of magnetics to read the passing bullet. This I view as good, as it should not be affected by changing light or light angles. It is fast to set up, requires little alignment and can be done from the shooting point where going into the fire lane of a public range can be dangerous or require a wait until others are ok with a cease fire.

Super Chrono: This unit requires the need to level it under the bullet path. It too needs to be away from the muzzle. The Super Chrono uses acoustic sound of the passing bullet to get it's measurement. This unit too should not be bothered by light or angles of light coming in. It will reach out and get reading from a wide area above it so it is a very easy unit to set up at distance for down range data. It has no deflectors so it can be easily protected by a 20" x 20" piece of steel to shoot over.

We attached the Magneto Speed to the muzzle of each rifle. Then placed the Super Chrono at about 14' and the first eye of the Oehler after that at about 16'. We fired 5 shots from 4 rifles of different caliber size for this test.

Then we recorded 5 shots and the readings each unit showed for them.

First up was a .223. Below are the velocities recorded from each unit.

Shot............. O35..............Magneto..............Super

1:.................3261..............3289......... ..........3166
    2:.................3300..............error........ ...........3231
    3:.................3314..............3335......... ..........3221
    4:.................3294..............3315......... ..........3248
    5:.................3316..............3337......... ..........3251

Next rifle was my 6 BR

Shot..............O35...............Magneto....... ........Super

1:.................2821..............2829......... ...........2851
    2:.................2824..............2832......... ...........2851
    3:.................2813..............2820......... ...........2831
    4:.................2805..............2810......... ...........2828
    5:.................2815..............2823......... ...........2841

Next rifle was a 284 Winchester

Shot..............O35...............Magneto....... .........Super

1:................2834...............2837......... ...........2854
    2:................2842...............2855......... ...........2864
    3:................2857...............2860......... ...........2870
    4:................2825...............2831......... ...........2837
    5:................2828...............2836......... ...........2857

Last was BnG with his 338 RUM and some 250 Bergers

Shot.............O35................Magneto....... .........Super

1:................3084...............3099......... ............3005
    2:................3100...............3117......... ............3028
    3:................3072...............3092......... ............3005
    4:................3088...............3105......... ............3001
    5:................3094...............3097......... ............3028

As you can see the results show the Magneto running consistently with the Oehler but a little faster for every bullet. This can be explained by the fact the Magneto is right at the muzzle and the Oehler is 16+ feet down range. The Magneto and the Oehler on the mid sized caliber ran closest to the same with differences mostly in the single digits or low teens. The biggest differences between the Oehler and the Magneto were with the small 223 and the large 338. The error or non reading we got from the Magneto was due to what I feel is its weakest point. It comes loose and needs to be tightened or at least checked for each shot or two. A better way of mounting it would be great as the nylon strap just does not cut it. It did however seem to get better after a few shots and repeated firings when the slack was worked out of the strap. Well,.. at least on the smaller calibers.

The "Super" was the farthest off from the Oehler. It too ran closest in the mid calibers, usually in the 20 to 30 fps area. But grossly ran 70 to 90+ fps off with the 223 and the 338. The other thing about this unit was it lacked a remote display. So readings need to be retrieved down range or after a string was recorded and bring the unit back. The guys did however set it up at 1000 and caught a high percentage of bullets going over it at 1000 yards. This is a very useful option if you wish to verify the BC of your bullets as they were doing with some new 210 LRAB's. Using the advertised BC of the AB's would get you about as close as we are to Jupiter, but that is another story.

In summary, I have a strong love for my Oehler 35. Since I tossed the 3 Chrony's and the Pact and started using the Oehler it has put me right on many times and saved me plenty of barrel and components. But the Magneto is simply too impressive to ignore. The fast set up, ease of storage, ease of transport and it fitting into a nice little box is something to behold. Not to mention you get the reading right at the muzzle and after all we are looking for muzzle velocity in most cases. I ain't letting go of my Oehler yet, but there is a Magneto Speed on my want list.

Jeff

Jeff,

Many, many thanks for taking the time from your normal shoot to do the review, which will be a real benefit to many of us on this forum.
    Salute!

My Magneto Speed remains in its box for the near future, but will soon be used with confidence.

Joe

Ditto. Great review and thanks for putting on that shoot. I'm gonna try and make the next one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Jeff,

Many, many thanks for taking the time from your normal shoot to do the review, which will be a real benefit to many of us on this forum.
    Salute!

My Magneto Speed remains in its box for the near future, but will soon be used with confidence.

Joe
    Randy
    "I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than be in any city on earth." Steve McQueen

I guess my impressions were that the Magneto speed gave some numbers that a guy could work with and know he was not going to have to reinvent the wheel when he went to true up his ballistics and it without a doubt owns every crony I've seen in the ease of use department. I was hoping it would be in the ball park but it was much better than I expected really, not to say that there isn't room for improvement in the strap area but I think the slack will work out of the strap and I'm thinking a guy could store it with a piece of 1 inch aluminium in it keeping it under tension and that may help with the strap as well.
    Over all I think the Magneto speed would make my shooting a whole lot more productive, not needing the right lighting or going down range to set up or fiddle fart with the thing makes things more harmonious while shooting!! Plus I can pull the card and down load all the data to my laptop, for a Shooting crony user the menu on the Magneto speed will seem like heaven and you don't need your super duper decoder ring to run the dang thing which also makes me happy, happy, happy!! When mine shows up I will be proofing it against Broz Oehler though just to make sure, those three screens do still set the standard!!

I'm still intrigued by the SuperChrono as a second down range chronograph but for a primary device I was less impressed with it, especially without the ability to see that you got a reading or what it was till you went down range.
    We ain't raisen no yuppy girls! When in doubt, pull the 338 out!

Great review, Jeff! Thank you very much for taking the time to test and post your findings! I may be investing in a Magneto very soon....We'll see if I can talk the 'boss' into letting me buy an early birthday present for myself. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by Broz View Post
    As you can see the results show the Magneto running consistently with the Oehler but a little faster for every bullet. This can be explained by the fact the Magneto is right at the muzzle and the Oehler is 16+ feet down range.
    Here's a question for those who have used the Oehler and Magneto in conjunction with their ballistics applications. Does the 16’ range difference and the correlating speed difference translate into more or less ‘tuning’ of one’s average speed or BC in their ballistics program? And, is any ‘tuning’ proportional to the difference shown in Jeff’s speed chart above?

If true as I suspect, that would be another feather in the cap for the MagnetoSpeed unit.

Pete

At the foot of the Big Belt Mountains near Townsend Montana
    Pete I need to take all this one step further. I need to sit down with my program and figure the actual drop in velocity between the muzzle and 16 feet. I will toss out a guess that it will be closer to 5 or 8 fps. but that's just a guess. I need to average the differences and see for sure before we can say which unit is closer to spot on, but both are very close.

Jeff

To correct the muzzle velocity for the 338 Rum I would add about 4fps to the Oehler, with my 6.5 SS I added 6 fps.

With the 6.5 I ran three round of standard cup and core bullets and three solid copper Cutting Edge both loaded identical and after correcting for muzzle velocity the Magneto speed was right in line with the Oehler, not a large sample but it was enough to see the a difference.
    We ain't raisen no yuppy girls! When in doubt, pull the 338 out!

I hope this works... Did it quick at work...

A simple excel spreadsheet using the 6BR data:

6BR
    O35 Mag Super
    2821 2829 2851
    2824 2832 2851
    2813 2820 2831
    2805 2810 2828
    2815 2823 2841
    Avg 2815.6 2822.8 2840.4
    SD.p 6.0 7.0 8.8
    ES 19 22 23

I may have used the wrong version of the SD formula in excel and the sample is too small to be meaningful but this simple spreadsheet starts to show how accurate the recordings are (assuming the O35 is dead on). Once one determines the loss from true muzzle to 16' the remainder will most likely be individual chrono calibration and other factors unique to each unit and method.

Looks like that 6BR shoots really good!

Pete

Did you guys notice ANY shift in POI with the Magneto attached versus your normal POI without it??? I ask because I've read where some people were getting a slight POI shift with their POI, nearly always, being higher. It was discussed that "ground effect" caused by the bullet traveling across the Magneto's Bayo was or could be the cause. I haven't used a Magneto very much so I wouldn't be a very good judge but when I have used the Magneto I noticed no change in POI.