Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is there a light weight spotting scope worth buying???

I was at the range yesterday, and another member had a Celestron spotting scope. Great clarity, easy to use, but also around 6.39 lbs. I am looking for something that is light weight and can be carried in the field without much regret! Of course, I ALSO want something that is worth taking along, one that sports worthy optics, water proof, and durable. Got a favorite? Please let me know!

LRO Editor AKA Big Kahuna
    as much as I try to stay away from vortex these days, I have to say in a light weight spotter, I love my razor 11x33. I'm not sure what you are considering light. for instance the zeiss conquest gavia is on the lighter side of spotters in its power class and is great. but when you talk about carrying without much regret, the razor is great. super clear glass. I used it to spot most of my shooting even out to a mile. and it weighs less than a lot of popular 10x binos. ive had mine for 3 years now and beat the heck out of it and its done me really well.

Quote Originally Posted by jmgardner View Post
    as much as I try to stay away from vortex these days, I have to say in a light weight spotter, I love my razor 11x33. I'm not sure what you are considering light. for instance the zeiss conquest gavia is on the lighter side of spotters in its power class and is great. but when you talk about carrying without much regret, the razor is great. super clear glass. I used it to spot most of my shooting even out to a mile. and it weighs less than a lot of popular 10x binos. ive had mine for 3 years now and beat the heck out of it and its done me really well.
    I second the Vortex 11x33 Razor.....at 25 oz itís lightweight and has great glass. I used mine at the NRA Whittington PRL1 long range class spotting hits out to 1300 yards. For the money, you canít go wrong with this spotting scope! I personally donít have any problems with Vortex.....I have 3 Razors, a PST, and a Viper, as well as, the spotting scope and all perform excellent.
    Last edited by STX; 10-08-2018 at 18:26.
    Philippians 4.20 "To our God and Father be glory for ever and ever. Amen."

LRO Product Review Editor
    Kowa has a new compact Prominar that is supposed to be AMAZING. It’ll cost you $1500+ but from everything I’ve read, from trusted sources, it’s the scope to have for small and lightweight. As mentioned previously the Razor 55mm is a surprisingly good scope or you can find an old Nikon Fieldscope 50mm ED.

I wanted something lightweight for field shooting and locating game.

I ended up going with a fixed power Vortex Recon 15x50 MRAD spotting scope (15 ounces) and a SLIK Sprint Mini II tripod (1.7 lb).

It's not a bad setup, but the glass doesn't compare to my 65mm Razor. But I didn't expect it to.

It is light, and functional. The glass and reticle are fine for spotting shots on rocks/steel, and I've glassed up elk at 2.5 miles.
    Last edited by MontanaMarine; 10-09-2018 at 21:34.
    Shane

Here's a pic f the Vortex Recon15x50, on the SLIK Sprint Mini II tripod.

Shane

Some great input here, thank you! Let me ask one more question - because I simply don't know. What magnification is really required? Some list up to 33, 50, and also 60. That seems like quite a difference and having never owned, or really even used much, a spotting scope what does one really need? I don't mean to sound like a total idiot here, but with regard to spotting scopes, I kind of am!

LRO Editor AKA Big Kahuna
    I guess it depends on what expectations you have. for instance with my 11x33, I can see if a buck at 1500 yds is worth getting closer to or not, but I cant count points. but for packing in the woods, knowing whether its worth getting closer or not is all I want.

The 11-33x50 is a nice compromise between weight, power, size.

The lighter scope allows a lighter tripod too. Win/win.
    Shane

Check out reviews on that kowa 55mm
    They put their favorite crystal lenses in this and they made it to compete with 60 and 65mm scopes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast